Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been looking at putting a bigger bonnet scoop on my Patrol. Asked a couple of vendors it their scoops past the '165mm ball' test and got mails back asking if I was having a lend of them, or was this Western Australia specific.

Unfortunately, it is Oz wide and came into force on Jan 1st this year. Anyone thinking of putting a new scoop on and does not want trouble from the boys in blue in which ever state you are in should read this doc. See page 12 of the following link.

www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/veh...ection_LH_Body_and_Chassis_V2.0_01Jan2011.pdf

·
nissan patrol
15,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You missed out the rest of it Rumcajs. The leading edges also have to have a 10mm radius, so top to bottom of the lip would need to be 2cm thick, looking at the ARE Aggressive scoop it would appear that this is not the case. Sent and email to ARE and have had nothing back from them, perhaps still looking at the issue. The other I talked to was a lot more communicative on the subject and I will be buying his.

·
Registered
nissan
1,422 Posts
Before fatguts gets here, make sure you read the facts before you believe the hype!

·
Registered
nissan
109 Posts
What a f#ck up....they really like making it hard for us....go pick on the guy doing 200kmph down the freeway with 5 teenagers on board.

Oh well my cross country intercooler has just been ordered and the big fiberglass/kevlar scoop from fairlane fibreglass is coming with it...hope the boys in blue be nice :-(...its actually a very sedate scoop compared to some ive seen around the NT.

·
nissan patrol
15,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before fatguts gets here, make sure you read the facts before you believe the hype!
??? What hype, comes from the government.

·
nissan patrol
15,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
??? other who?
'other who' being someone who makes bonnet scoops, he has most likely read this by now, so if he wants to put his comments in he will. Seems like a nice guy.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
The 4wd nit pickers started with the bullbar and probably wont stop till they get to the towball. I don't think they will be happy till every 4wder has one of these as a daily driver mind you could be interesting taking one of these babys across the Simpson desert.

Attachments

·
nissan patrol
15,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 4wd nit pickers started with the bullbar and probably wont stop till they get to the towball. I don't think they will be happy till every 4wder has one of these as a daily driver mind you could be interesting taking one of these babys across the Simpson desert.
Must have a bit of poke Smokescreen, got extra wheels to stop it flippin, or is it a 6x6??

·
Registered
nissan patrol
48 Posts
I am getting a FMIC for my 4.5L petrol turbo upgrade.
Minor pain in the arse due to needing to shift other coolers around (oil and power steering).
Not sure how FMIC's go with the various front bull bars in use.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
Must have a bit of poke Smokescreen, got extra wheels to stop it flippin, or is it a 6x6??

I wish they had a bit of poke unfortunately new government regulations say you have to detune these bad boys by 50% as they can exceed speeds in excess of a crazy 10kph and are responsible for 90% of all people being run over at shopping malls and in carparks. :p:p:p

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Bullbar or no bullbar, Bonnet scoop or no bonnet scoop, if a pedestrian steps out in front of a 3.something tonne car doing 50km/h they are going to be screwed.

Maybe we could use some of the NBN waste of money to help protect pedestrians - lower the fibre cable to waist height along the side of the road so they cant walk onto it...

Wonder if the rubber ball rule was done to protect rubber balls..

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,554 Posts
Bullbar or no bullbar, Bonnet scoop or no bonnet scoop, if a pedestrian steps out in front of a 3.something tonne car doing 50km/h they are going to be screwed.

Maybe we could use some of the NBN waste of money to help protect pedestrians - lower the fibre cable to waist height along the side of the road so they cant walk onto it...

Wonder if the rubber ball rule was done to protect rubber balls..

Hi Dronus, My thoughts exactly but that would require logical thinking from the rule makers, Doh. So, all this is just another reason for us to hang onto your old established vehicle, retrospective legislation has some barriers. But there is a small amount of truth here, there is a minority amongst us who will push the envelope, sometimes to the extreme, this gives people like Screwby etc the foothold to push for rules to prevent that and those rules come back to the lowest common denominator factor we all know and love. You need look no further than suspension lifts as an example.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I give up. lets keep legislating for the dumbest ****s on earth - 2% of population while the rest take it in the arse

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
that's a cool gun. What's it for, shooting people behind you?

;)

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I have again tried the link and now get

Redirection Page The page you are looking for cannot be found.

You may be able to find the information you are after from the homepage, or by using the Search Engine.

If you have difficulty finding the information you are trying to locate, please contact the Web Team.

Googling for "NCOP6_Section_LH_Body_and_Chassis_V2.0_01Jan2011.pdf" gets me nothing either.

maybe they realise someoen found the info and they shat themselves.

·
nissan patrol
15,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, I'll probably get flamed to ash for asking but anyway.....

I had a look at the link on the regs and the thing it seems to address is Ridgid scoops ( seemingly for pedestrial safety and vision impairment.

If a scoop was not actualy Ridgid, ( IE, made of stiff rubber so it kept its shape but would deform on contact with a pedestrian) and complied with the vision requirement, would this not be legal?

If it would, then it seems to me that all that needs to be done is change the material the things are made out of from fibreglass or metal to a thick, stiff rubber, something along the lines of waht mudflaps are made from.

Is there something I missed in the regs where this wouldn't comply given Vision compliance?
Not sure that would work, they will say that it has to be rigid so that at 110kph it does deform and then become higher than 82.5mm, and thus will hurt someone when we hit them on a country road at said 110kph…….

Perhaps we should be allowed to jack the suspension up 10in and run 52in tires, and then the poor misguided highway stroller will just roll underneath. Nah, that wont work either as they will want us to run bike tires with built in air bags and crumple zones.

Someone talked about the lowest common denominator; I propose we designate the fools who come up with this stuff as the lowest common denominator crash test dummies. Mmm, may not work either, coz their village will have to go without their idiots.

Were screwed....

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
So does anyone have a copy of this document? or a link that works??

Reactions: belvo25
1 - 20 of 51 Posts