Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im putting a fan under my HPD Intercooler and was wondering if any one has there's set up so its running all the time, if so what are the Pros and Cons of having it running all the time

Cheers Jase

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
It will wear out quicker.

May actually restrict air flow at speed.

Should be run on temp switch.

The greater the difference in temperature between ambient air and the intercooler results in the best efficiency for heat removal.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wouldnt think it would effect the flow at speed seeing its under the intercooler

·
Registered
nissan
643 Posts
I have the same setup with an under slung fan on a HPD cooler.
I havent wired it up yet but I did buy a 50degree switch from jaycar that I will use to turn it on/off. I'm also thinking of wiring up an in cab switch in parallel so I can manually turn it on anytime I want.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
Why would you need to manually switch it on under 50c ?
From my operation I found the 50.C switch from Jaycar had my fan running all the time.

You might be better stepping up to their 85.C unit.

Question for the electrromagicians out there:-

Q. If the incoming airspeed thru the fan is of a greater rate than the normal fan speed, will the fan motor now, because it is driven become a generator that might have the ability to spike the vehicles electrical system ?

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
No, that's not quite the way it works.

In theory, if the fan was being spun by the wind (not by the motor) , it would become a wind generator, and charge the battery. In practice, if it was to be driven that fast, effect would be minimal compared to the alternator.

If the wind is going faster than the fan normally runs, then enough air is going through the intercooler to have good effect.

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
Why would you need to manually switch it on under 50c ?
I have always had mine switched manually. My switch also turns on a fan to the auto gearbox cooler.

The main reasons are that I can keep it cooler when working hard on the beach or driving in slow trafic or a slow track on a really hot day with the aircon going and the motor producing a lot of heat, it is better to prevent the temperature rising rather than wait till it does then trying to cool it.

·
Registered
nissan
643 Posts
I finally got around to wiring up the IC fan yesterday.
First up I used the 50degree switch. Went for a test run drove around for a bit stopped to chat to a mate with engine running for 10 - 15 drove a bit more .... Stopped to check.. No fan, drove home.. Stopped.. No fan, Fan never came on while driving ( yes I tested the fan works before I went for a drive)
Went home and parked up, went out to the garage 10 mins later And fan was on, so I popped the bonnet and as soon as some heat dissipated the fan went off, shut bonnet again came back 20 mins later, fan running again so I popped the bonnet again and it shut down.
Now I don't want this thing running for how ever long the static engine temp stays above 50 degrees which would be a fair while given the climate of north Qld so I disconnected it from the 50 degree switch and hooked it upto an ignition wire to run it only when the car is running (or key in on position)
The fans got some serious grunt when on, it really pulls some air through the cooler so hopefully its going to have a good effect. I am taking it for a drive today and see how temps are with the fan vs no fan.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,456 Posts
Wire it thru ignition and the switch so the switch only gets the say if ignition is on, like your heater fan in the cab, fan switch only works if ignition on.

That sort of thing should never have access to permanent power.

Easiest way; ign feed from wiper to thermal switch, other side of switch to pin 86 of relay, 85 to earth, 30 to fuse then batt positive, 87 to fan motor (reverse polarity at motor if spinning wrong way, make sure it sucks a piece of paper on to cooler to check).

That will sort it.

Put up a pic of where you put the switch.

·
Registered
nissan
643 Posts
Not sure if the temp switch will work well because if the air flow under the bonnet when moving and from the radiator Cooling fan keeps temp cool enough to not trigger the switch until the car is turned off.
I had the switch on the drivers side edge of the IC just under and off to the side of the IC.
When I felt the temp using my hand it was cool when the car was running.
I might see how this goes with the fan being on all the time when the car is on, and if I need I will wire a separate in cab manual switch.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
127 Posts
Is there much of an improvement having an IC fan vs not having one? Mine came with one but was disconnected and now its sitting in the shed. If it doesn't make a big difference, i'll leave it off.

·
Registered
nissan
643 Posts
Just did a 50k run highway and a bit if traffic through town. Definite advantage with lower egts.
Before I hooked up the fan 100kph cruising temps were 430-480 now with the fan running I am seeing 360 - 420.
Before I never really saw below 400 now its down there all the time.
Also booting it up hills the temps rise slower, don't get as high and recovers back quicker when off the throttle.
I would also say it has improved off the mark performance but that might be because I am testing it where I wouldnt normally take off that quick,
Idle engine temp on the scangauge is lower also sitting on 86 where It always stayed at 89 before, and egts at 170 (edit: now at 160 and still dropping) (sitting in car waiting for the misso to get out of the shops)where it was always a bit over 200 before with no fan.
Pretty happy with that should have done it ages ago
Got a bit more driving to do today so see how it goes as the day gets hotter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts