Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently found this damage to the bottom right corner on top of my intercooler.
It is leaking but no noticeable noises are heard when driving.
Im sure it is affecting vehicle performance cant be sure how long its been like it either.
Looking at a replacement from ebay for $345.
Anyone replaced theres with a 'cheaper' cooler? I am on a budget as this car is costing me packet since I bought it in june!
It is to be a family 'tourer' so anything I replace & fix will be to improve performace etc

Attachments

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
as long as it's tig welded -not crimped a chinese one will be ok

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
They will be fine, I have one also.Dollar$ can be a barrier when you have a thousand other things going on at the same time so I fully understand. I was in your exact position over a year ago.

·
Registered
nissan
23 Posts
I fitted a cheaper welded replacement through eBay I think from memory from ACE in Canberra. $340 delivered non exchange and since fitting fan on top, nads, etc.... I am achieving similar figures as stated in the survey forums as those with more expensive units.

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Already onto issue number 3 with this thing! Extreme loss of power and engine light is on. The list goes on!!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Hang in there bud...Rome wasn't built in a day :).

OK so have you got ecutalk? Find out the code its throwing. There is a way to read codes without ecutalk have a search here.

·
Registered
nissan
75 Posts
Where is the hole in your current intercooler?

Assuming a hole has worn through it could be easily welded up by anyone with a TIG welder.
heaps cheaper than $345.

Or you can try fixing it yourself with a metal epoxy - $10 from bunnings, 10 minutes of your time and id suggest less than 1% efficiency loss of the intercooler from blocking airflow to the fins.

·
Registered
Nissan
72 Posts
If your wanting to straighten the fins, a tip picked up was to use a zip tie to poke in between. the plastic will let you bend/mold the fins without causing damage.

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its bottom right corner of the fins looks like its been squashed! Im assuming that area isnt fixable?
I had a scan run on it a few weeks ago and no codes showed & the engine lights off now! Havnt taken it for drive again just incase!
Hoping to get it looked at by a mechanic in the next few days!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
The engine light in my experience is due to fuel delivery and associated parts.. Lets stop the boat for a minute.

Now in my experience you will be flat out finding a mechanic that knows the ZD...and that's down right straight out. I know one that knows them well, because he owns a 01 model.

A very large portion of today's mechanics will just be giving stabs in the dark....Hey you can do that, all a hell of a lot cheaper.A bit of common sense and knowing how to ratchet a bolt or 2 can get you a long long way.

lets get to basics. You have a boost gauge right? you have an EGT gauge right? you will go get ECUTalk asap right?:) there's 90% of self diagnosis right there!

Everything else is reading here, I tell ya there's more knowledge here than a boat load of mechanics put together.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Mate, if money is a big concern at the moment why not try to reclaim what you have and give yourself a little extra time to get more important things sorted, I use a fine blade screw driver to gently straighten the fins and as someone mentioned you can do a repair with a product like Devcon or even Kneedit, at worst you will lose a very small percentage of efficiency but it will get you out of trouble until you are back on your feet.

Is that the only leak? the one that appears to be on the top of the fin? If you have more serious leaks then go for the cheapest unit you can find, you can always upgrade later when your in a better position and/or decide to keep the vehicle.

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your onto it with mechanic knowledge and female I dont go to anyone i dont know or trust. Ive got further doing things myself than dealing with people 'who know'
I read the fault code 0102..cleaned the maf sensor & cleared the code but after few mins went back into limp mode :(

Dont have gauges yet. Bought the car in june bog stock and very tidy. I do have them on order as I know I need them! And ecu talk is on my list! I have yr to get it all sorted as im going on big trip up north (im wa based) with my 2 boys! So this forum is my bible right now!!

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep thats the only leak.. I know of! I didnt know if it was worth trying to repair thats y I thought just replace! I will be fixing it first see how it goes!! This ones meant to be a keeper, third time lucky seems not in this case!! My first 3L though

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,113 Posts
Yep thats the only leak.. I know of! I didnt know if it was worth trying to repair thats y I thought just replace! I will be fixing it first see how it goes!! This ones meant to be a keeper, third time lucky seems not in this case!! My first 3L though
where are you based? if you are in sydney areas, i can let you have my factory IC for $100. it not leaking, i just replaced it with a bigger cross country IC. so mine is sitting there doing nothing.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Where is the hole in your current intercooler?

Assuming a hole has worn through it could be easily welded up by anyone with a TIG welder.

heaps cheaper than $345.

Or you can try fixing it yourself with a metal epoxy - $10 from bunnings, 10 minutes of your time and id suggest less than 1% efficiency loss of the intercooler from blocking airflow to the fins.

X2.. Even a little stop over at your local radiator place so they can test it and weld it up will be less than $40-50.

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,085 Posts
If your looking at getting a ecutalk there is one for sale in the classified section in interior accessories. :)

·
Registered
nissan guiv patrol
96 Posts
Hi Jessie, if you're in Perth let me know where you're getting it done. My factory one has started leaking a bit of oil so need a quick fix. Can't afford a replacement at the moment, got quoted $850 for new welded unit or cheaper if I go with a factory unit replacement or gumtree.

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Bonty, im down south. Im going to get it quick steeled see how it goes and look at upgrading once ive fitted nads stuff!

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Hey Bonty, im down south. Im going to get it quick steeled see how it goes and look at upgrading once ive fitted nads stuff!
Sing out if you need a hand with the nads setup. We have tried to document it the best we can but have found that there is usually one bit or another that gets confusing :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts