Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking at doing a intercoolersetup on my gq td42 and was wondering what's better to go with front mount or top mount / air2air or water2air?? .... Can you keep your air con and have a front mount without loosing Ur grill ? What size would best suit the patrol? Bonnet clearance is not an issue because I have a 2 inch body lift aswell as a 3 inch reverse cowl with the bonnet all cut out ..... I was thinkin a top mount with fans mounted aswell but any ideas would be great ..... Please post photos aswell

·
Registered
131 Posts
hey mate ive got a good as front mount setup on mine i have no aircon but grill still fits.. ive got all welded stainless piping ill post pics tomorro morning its too dark to take them now mate i would go front mount

·
Registered
nissan
455 Posts
my mate runs a water to air set works great alittle bit of cutting on the inside of the grill to fit the heat exchanger and works better than a air to air

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
i recon you cant go past a top mount with a shrowd and thermofan under it to suck the air through , also seal it off against the bonnet to ensure only cool outside air is sucked through

·
Registered
nissan
1,514 Posts
Ive had botH good quality w2a and front mount air 2 air truth is u can't beat a front mt air 2 air, have a look at my build thread I think I've got pics of both set ups. A decenT w2a set up will be pretty expensive

·
Registered
nissan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For me to seal it off to the bonnet the cooler would have to be 600x350 cos of how big the cowl on the bonnet is ..... I would like a front mount but I want to keep the aircon especially for those hot dusty roads when were 4wding with a few cars ect .....

·
Registered
nissan
45 Posts
Does anyone have any inlet temp figures to show which set up is actually the most efficient? I do recall Matt Mcguinness doing some testing of his laminova coolers a while ago, anyone done similar for others?

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
That could also mean that it's not taking the heat out of the air that is passing through it. And if your radiator or any kind is not cool after a highway run.... it's REALLY stuffed.
nah it takes out plenty of heat , the end i can reach from the front of the car is cool to the touch , the back end where the boosted air enters is warm, as for my radiator well its fawkin too hot to touch once the car is up to temp both on the inlet and outlet sides hwy or not, so i have no idea how you come up with that

and yes topping up the oil is a PITA but luckily it doesnt use any oil or very little atleast , changing the oil sucks though but it gives me a chance to cleen up

·
Registered
nissan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I really like the front mount setup but I still want some of the grill atleast and I want the air con

·
Registered
nissan
455 Posts
Do you want the front mount more for looks? The stainless piping is pretty but stainless still holds the engine heat so you wont be getting the coldest air possible.

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
the bonnet got a full respray....... twice (first one failed)

shaker style, and I can change my oil without taking the scoop or anything off

1.6 steel welded all the way around

really happy with the cooler, easy as to fit up and looks the part too(when the scoop is taking off)

and my mates boss has a sticker cutter :D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts