4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thread regarding intercoolers,
Mainly for the MQ/MK lads,but in general thoughts all excepted

So what intercoolers are we running
Top mount,front mount
Whats the better ???
What variation is there from small to large
Do the larger front mount restrict radiator air flow ???

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
http://nerok.info/engine/sd33/intercooling

a lot of the answers are already there. i just need to find some threads so people can see some installs, ive seen many back in the day, more so on outerlimits.

with the radiator air flow, of course they do effect it, but if your cooling system is in good condition then the engine should not run any hotter. a front mounts effectiveness is minimal at slow speeds though, hence why water to air are a good proposition.

·
Rusty, but Trusty. Most of the time
nissan
1,185 Posts
I want to put a water to air unit on mine but cant decide what "style" to get.
I'm thinking of even putting the main battery in the back and sitting the cooler in the battery tray.

·
Registered
65 Posts
dont go air water. from my experience with them they are ****. go front mount air to air. i have a front mount cooler with 2.5inch piping on my mk patrol sd33t. Had it on top but didn't work as well as i wanted. Plus you have to cut a hole in the bonnet with makes it flimsy. With the front mount the fan is always keep a flow of air through it to. when it was on top i would warm up when you stop for a while

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I have proven water to air works perfectly fine. 160HP with EGT's peaking at 550 degrees.
Intake temps dropped well below what air to air can do.

What is your experience with them vnwrecker?

An ait to air done correctly will work and work very well.

simon - look at the frozen boost kits :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
We had the denco air water on an 80 series cruiser. we found it just couldn't keep up. the radiator at the front of the car and the barrel would get so hot and would become un efficent one it all heats up. Motor was 1hdt running 18psi high flow turbo and 3 inch exhaust. The cost was also a big issue. It was a few years ago but i think it cost about $2000. In the end the welds around the end of the barrel come apart and the radiator fluid would leak into the motor during the night and when you'd start it in the morning it would blow the water out the back.
We pulled the air water system off and went for a front mount cooler and havn't looked back since. Doesn't get anywhere near the heat soak effect the air water system had. and only cost $600 to fit ourselves.
We fixed the air water barrel and then put it on my brothers 2.7ltr (i think its 2.7) hilux and it can't even keep up on that little motor. still get really hot. Goes well until the heat gets throught ever thing then it's like it's not even on there.
I think for the money and power the front mount air to air is the way to go

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats what we are looking for
What works and why, costs, whats better ect

Ive heard of from a member on here that a top mount from an MR2 works and are cheap
(If he reads this a bit more light on the subject)
Costs are good and what power increase ,lower EGTs are we talking
Most of all reliable advantages

No point running a big asss intercooler cranking 15-20 PSI ,spending 1,000 & 1,000s
If it only lasts 1 or 2 days

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
hey MQ MAD talk to landy
he did his fairly cheap
he went from a fairly large front mount to water/air
and hes got a pretty quick SD33T

·
Registered
65 Posts
sd33t in my mk patrol. Running 15psi front mount cooler. 2.5 inch piping. I've turned the fuel up. Driving up normal hills and what not on the highway i've never gone above 500 degrees on my egt gauge. I can get it above 500 if i really load it up and keep the motor just off boost in say 5th gear up a hill. But you really have to try to get it hotter than 500degrees. I've run this stepup for the last 18 months. Motor has done 470000k's. I did put a new head on it 2 years ago and had the injectors done at the same time.
I'll try get some pictures on here if i can work out how to do it
This set up cost $600

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah thanks Crazy
Not so much for my benefit,but for many others who are green in this field

I couldnt see myself spending 2K on an intercooler ect, then pull it all of to try some other method
Myself im not after a race rocket SD , bit more reliable power thatll pull loads up hills
(theres a few near me)
And keep doin it day after day

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
MQMAD, if yours is okay without intercooler, then any intercooler will bring some benefits. air to air will also benefit from a little water mister setup installed to spray onto the intercooler, although misting water in the bush would likely collect some crap on the 'cooler.

i was planning top mount on mine, for simplicity. my turbo system really lends itself to a top mount, there would be zero pipework, so minimal lag. heat soak would be a bit of an issue (ie the heat would blow down onto the engine), but with a body lift and such it shouldnt be too bad. and i liked the idea of it being safe from flying rocks etc.

that engines going into my mates car today, im gonna try talk him into intercooling :)

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
sd33t in my mk patrol. Running 15psi front mount cooler. 2.5 inch piping. I've turned the fuel up. Driving up normal hills and what not on the highway i've never gone above 500 degrees on my egt gauge. I can get it above 500 if i really load it up and keep the motor just off boost in say 5th gear up a hill. But you really have to try to get it hotter than 500degrees. I've run this stepup for the last 18 months. Motor has done 470000k's. I did put a new head on it 2 years ago and had the injectors done at the same time.
I'll try get some pictures on here if i can work out how to do it
This set up cost $600
so how are your egts in 4L compared to a w2a setup? Not to mention power comparison?

From what I can see the denco barrell has a very small surface area of cooling compared to I/c of average size.

Dyno charts will be the only real comparison between a2a and w2a.

I'm sure if you pick a evilbay w2a I/c and have it oressure tested you could possibly find that would be no difference in quality compared to a Australian made cooler.

Have had experience with a w2a in a gq 2.8, I know its not a sd33 but there is no comparison for bang for your buck.

My 2 bobs

·
Registered
65 Posts
we had the denco system on my old mans 80 series. i dont have anything scientific on it. just seat of the pants. the air water would get hot and not go very good once the heat got through it. the front mount cooler didn't drop off like the air water setup did. thats about as secietific as we got

i think there would be a comparison for bang for buck as air water is alot more expensive and more involved where as air to air is simpler and cheaper

Just might add i've only had experience witht he denco system so there is more than likely better systems out there.

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Did you run a condenser with the denco system mate?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Seat of the pants is probably the lag you are feeling :p
My frozen boost setup has allowed for alot more fuel, resulting in 20rwkw more at lower boost levels.

I can pop the bonnet after a long pull and the hot side of the cooler cannot be touched but the cold side is cool enough to touch.

EGT's peak at 550 with a VDO. Problem 40mm from the exhaust wheel.

I'm my experience, a good water to air setup is the way to go. The Wendi unit probably had a piss weak water pump and the barrel was too small.

·
Registered
nissan
323 Posts
seen as how ya talking intercooler thought id add my 2 cents in. recently bought a ebay special a2a 600*300*76. installed it myself with 2.5 inch piping. before instercooling egts would rise as soon as i took off and would sit around 350c post turbo egts on a 30c day doing 100kph. vehicle is a 97 gq ute 4.2 na diesel, with a jpc custom garrett ball bearing turbo runs around 6 pound at 100.
since fitting the intercooler egts temps have dropped by about 100c at same conditions. now i know it may not be as good when crawling in in the bush but honestly i dont do that and as much as i would like, and as much as i dont wanna admit it highway driven is what i do most. but from my experience driving around in soft sand in beach in first and second it still doesnt get hot. i think this is because egts will rise when underlaod or over fueled so when im trying to get up a hill and im spinning the wheels the engine is under less load then if it is foot flat down the highway. and its only for short amounts of time not constant load i only need to be doing 20kph to make it work effiectly i can hope out of car touch cooler and one side is hot but by half way across cooler its normal temp.

hope that made sense. so what im saying is for me this $140 intercooler (got stainless pipe from work) works perfect for me.
il try put picture up

Cheers Chris

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts