Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy's, I need technical advice assistance. My Troll has developed a problem on take off that is hard to describe. When taking off in first gear there appears to be a secondary take up as you lift the foot off the clutch, but it is not there every time.

It feels like something has slipped, my initial thought was a broken engine mount giving a bit of bounce, but put the jack under it yesterday and they appear OK, then thought a rear brake caliper may be hanging on but that seems OK. I thought the flywheel may have come loose but there are no noises.

It only does it on take off, when changing up or down at other times I can't feel it.

Now, After Christmas my grandson (with his new L permit) came and wanted to drive the Troll, to cut a long story short, with the sensitive throttle he kangaroo'd it really badly on one occasion and in retrospect it became noticeable after that, maybe just coincidence?

I do not have a dual mass flywheel, a solid went on (hate it hate it) after the motor rebuild of a few years ago.

Gentlemen (and I use that term loosely), your thoughts?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Climbed under it again today did a complete check of the bushings and can't fault them, had to go into Maroochydore after and bugger me the much beloved Troll just wouldn't do it, driving me crazy.

Will have to give it a thrashing this weekend.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another clue to my intermittent "secondary take up" problem. Definitely not clutch, not that I expected it to be, gave the thing a good work out in the Glass House last weekend with no worries, and incidentally did not feel the problem that entire day.

Greasing uni's this morning, vehicle on flat driveway in neutral, to get at the nipples I rotated the rear shaft by hand, moving the vehicle, when doing the front I did the same thing at the front shaft and bugger me the front shaft was tight then let go and appeared to slip half a turn then lock again, took quite a while but I was able to duplicate the scenario a couple of times. By the way, it's a standard front diff, no locker etc.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another clue to my intermittent "secondary take up" problem. Definitely not clutch, not that I expected it to be, gave the thing a good work out in the Glass House last weekend with no worries, and incidentally did not feel the problem that entire day.

Greasing uni's this morning, vehicle on flat driveway in neutral, to get at the nipples I rotated the rear shaft by hand, moving the vehicle, when doing the front I did the same thing at the front shaft and bugger me the front shaft was tight then let go and appeared to slip half a turn then lock again, took quite a while but I was able to duplicate the scenario a couple of times. By the way, it's a standard front diff, no locker etc.

Any ideas?
:bump: Wow! Has no one else experienced this? It's not clutch or rear trailing arm bushes. I'm beginning to understand what Gilbert O'Sullivan was referring to in his song.

·
Registered
nissan
1 Posts
Geeyoutoo
Turning the front shaft has the same result as selecting 4H or 4L. It causes the front hubs to lock after
1/4 of a turn or so. This is normal and is not the problem.
Cheers,Ray.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the response mate and welcome to the forum, this problem is driving me crazy, it may not show up for a week then all of a sudden it will be there, I hate things I don't have a solution for.
Now wondering if there may be some issue with the Auto hubs, the wheel bearings etc were repacked a while ago (I was working OS so the vehicle sat for 6 months straight after the job), maybe there was some excess grease causing a problem????????????? When in 4wd I have never felt it, but with ratio's that may not mean anything.

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
G’day mate,

As you can appreciate, it’s very hard to diagnose things like this without feeling it, but we know the front auto hubs can be problematic. Just jack up the front wheels, one at a time and rotate them. They should turn freely and if you see your tailshaft rotate at the same time, you have a hub locking up when it shouldn’t. It may just be a case of too much grease in the hub, but they are prone to doing this when you least expect it.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Chaz, I am doing an oil change today so will check this out while at it.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, finished Oil change and started check, turned front tail shaft till it clicked and locked, jacked up nearside and turned the wheel and the tailshaft turned as Old Bugger indicated, turned wheel back the other way and then forward again and hub unlocked, could turn the wheel and the tailshaft didn't move, jacked the offside up and the tailshaft didn't turn when I turned the wheel, so am now convinced the wheel bearing repack had some influence on it and seeing as I have been giving it a good thrashing in 4wd the last few weeks and again yesterday on Cooloola Way, this may have evened things out. Did not feel it yesterday or this morning, time will tell. Now having another cup of coffee while the ECU resets.

All along this damn solid flywheel, which I hate with a passion.........................., has been compounding the problem, the damn thing is so sensitive. A DMF is going back in when I get the chance and the money.

Anyway, Chaz and Old Bugger, thanks Guy's.

And now for something completely different.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For anyone whose interested for future reference, the intermittent locking problem came and went for another month then completely disappeared of it's own accord so the wheel bearing repack must have been the culprit, a lesson for next time. All good now............................

1 - 11 of 11 Posts