Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday guys. Not sure if this is a drama or not?

Bit of background; Currently running a 110amp alternator (6 months old now) and a Amaron battery (12 months is old).

Patrol starts fine and will show 14.1-2v on my ECUtalk at idle. Although whilst driving the voltage will intermittently drop down to 13.6-8v and then come back to 14.1-2v.

I have recently replaced the battery terminals which has seen the idle voltages increase from 14.0v up to where they are now. I have a few more mods i would like to do to get the most out of my 110 amp alternator i.e. secondary thicker charge wire from alternator to battery as well as thicker earth and possibly looking at a voltage booster.

Although i don't think any of those will fix this problem? Any help or advice would be mutely appreciated.

Cheers

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
3,003 Posts
Quality of your earth connection?

Can you think of anything drawing energy and thus causing your volt drop? is something pulling load?

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill disconnect the anderson plug solenoid but apart from that there is only a compressor (switched and relayed), lightbar (switched and relayed) and I've disconnected the winch till i get some shorter cables made and an albright solenoid.

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,276 Posts
Hey mate,

I have read your post a couple of times and I'm not sure if you have a problem. Why do you think you have a problem?

You have stated that "Patrol starts fine and will show 14.1-14.2v on my ECUtalk at idle"

Have you measured the voltage across the battery with a multimeter at a fast idle?

·
Registered
nissan
233 Posts
Mine is a standard setup, apart from having replaced a couple of earth leads and it does the same - don't think I have a problem as it has been the same for 6 years.

Cheers,
Tom

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey mate,

I have read your post a couple of times and I'm not sure if you have a problem. Why do you think you have a problem?

You have stated that "Patrol starts fine and will show 14.1-14.2v on my ECUtalk at idle"

Have you measured the voltage across the battery with a multimeter at a fast idle?
Mine is a standard setup, apart from having replaced a couple of earth leads and it does the same - don't think I have a problem as it has been the same for 6 years.

Cheers,
Tom
i would have thought that the voltage would have remained at its peak and not dropped? especially whilst driving?

not yet Rod, but i will. one thing i did notice was a difference from the alternator voltage and the battery voltage on idle. ecutalk reads the battery voltage and the alternator voltage was slightly higher, the extra and thicker charge wire should fix this?

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,276 Posts
I'm not sure if the ECUtalk reads actual voltage at the ECU or if it reads voltage from the diagnostic connector. Either way it's a fair distance from the battery so you would expect a higher voltage drop. This voltage drop will fluctuate as electrical load changes.

You need to find out what the voltage difference is between the battery and alternator.

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've tested the voltage at the battery and its consistent with the ecutalk. the difference between the alternator and the battery is around 0.3-0.5 volts.

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so im worrying over nothing?

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Rod!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Is your aircon on, as it wil intermittently draw more powerwhen the compressor is activated

1 - 14 of 14 Posts