Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok fellas. here is a problem. just took my car for a wheel. got both my diff's stranded on a rut. this left my two left hand wheels on the ground and my two right hand wheels in the air. ended up getting a snatch out from a passer by sliped him a 20 and he was stoked. any ways, i hit the front diff pretty hard (was half way through adding a little power to make it through). pulled out onto the road after getting freed and now my car pulls to the left (i guess you could say intermiting problem not constant). bought her home and had a look but nothing seems to be out of shape. the only thing that concerns me is there is alot of vertical movement in the front wheels (e.g jacked up and move the wheels from 12 and 6 position) this is even on both sides but im not sure if this is normal. Any way, this is the situation, im just thinking it may need a wheel align but not sure if i have overlooked anything.
Cheers all for any advice.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
Sorry mate, i dont understand your description of "vertical movement from 6 to 12"

Do you mean you grab the wheel at 6 and 12 and can pull the top and the bottom and wobble the wheel?

If this is the case then your wheel bearings are loose.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry. yea thats what i was refering to. is it possiable that both wheel barings are loose from the same trip.
Thanks Trav

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
If you are getting top to bottom wobble then both wheel bearings are loose and should be tightened straight away.

It is not necessarily so that they both went loose on the same day? that day is just when you noticed.

Also check you Drag Link (the horizontal bar in front of your diff going to the steering box) I may be bent and the front end out of alignment, it has a Tie rod end on each end that could be shagged too.

Tighten the wheel bearings and see if that sorts your out first.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey mudrunner. yea, i just tightened the front wheel barings and it has deffinately tightend up the front end, only took less than an hour (i was quite supprised). yea i cheched the drag link with a straight edge yesterday and it all appears good so i'll just get a wheel align now and she should be sweet.
should have grabbed a picture of it stuck to show the points of impact but we've all been there before i guess. just need some bigger rubber lol.
Cheers heaps fella.
Trav

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
more likely bent your tie rod which is the one behind the axle. wheel alignment will be out from this and you will end up steering in random directions according to the road surface because you have masses of Toe Out.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
plans are to take it to get looked at during the week. it not as bad now as it was before but still needs to be fixed. took it for a play in the adelaide hills today and all went well this time lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts