• Yes

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters
2181 - 2200 of 2200 Posts

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,618 Posts
OB; No disagreement from me on that. I was just responding to your statement that it "was only ever leased" which is why I said that was "not entirely true."

Near as dammit, it was only old Kowloon town that was ceded and even today you can walk around that area in about 15mins despite the crowds and hustle and bustle.

I have quite a bit of history with Hong Kong, been there over 30 times, maybe over 40 but I lost track a long time ago, and had to work and live in apartments and offices on either side of Boundary Street due to geopolitical issues (Brit / China and Vietnam / China) To only give back the new territories you would have to cleave HK city down the middle, so there would be no HK city if the brits could keep the ceded parts. It had to be one or the other...

OB; Yes, but just because a new Chinese government says that "Hong Kong belongs to us" doesn't make it so when a previous government has ceded it away. Spain has actually done the same thing with Gibraltar and Sicily has done the same thing with the British territory there but in both cases the UK has said the valid agreement that was made still stands and they aren't about to leave.

Gibraltar and Sicily were never in the same boat as HK. With china one was an imperial dynasty and the other was a communist revolution... Spain has been one entity (with exception of the short and sharp Franco BS) the whole time. As for Sicily, it was owned by several counties including spain, france. arab, germany, greece to name a few, as well as being it's own kingdom till the italian unification.

At one time the brits sent an invasion fleet there, but that was during the centuries long brit / spanish tussles But was never colonised or held sovereign by the brits. Educate me if I am wrong.

OB; Sovereign borders world wide are things that have changed considerably over time, sometimes through diplomatic agreement but most often through military action. Once an area of land becomes the sovereign territory of a particular country the country that used to own it can't just say "we want it back" and expect to get it back because it has become part of the other country. Imagine Russia telling the US that they want Alaska back.

But that is exactly what they did, they have told the brits they wanted it back since 1942 when they told the brits they do not recognise the cede, with no gunboat diplomacy required.

OB; Fair enough about the return of Hong Kong Island, I thought that was part of the 1898 agreement

But it wasn’t ...

OB; No disagreement from me on any of that, I was just pointing out it wasn't all just leased.

Near as dammit, it was only old Kowloon town (essentially the go-downs of the harbour area) that was ceded and even today you can walk around that area in about 15mins despite the crowds and hustle and bustle.

OB; You are bending the truth there. The Brits owned the most important parts of it. It's true that those parts were probably not viable on their own but it doesn't change the fact they were British territory.

No I am not. See above boundary street, it is in the MIDDLE of the city. HK as a city is not, and never was, viable as a brit entity without the new territories even if brit part had its own agri resources, water and power simply because a big chunk of HK city is IN the new territories. More importantly the very rich brit mandarins of HK live in the peaks above old kowloon town and are in the new territories … And refer to my previous comments about population, they would have to absolutely level the whole of HK and start again to just fit in the brit HK subjects in to the ceded parts. It simply can not be done.

OB; I agree that nobody should be surprised that China is acting the way it is. Hong Kong in its entirety became Chinese territory in 1997 and the UK had no real control over anything that went on there after that time.

And that is what I said ...

Keep it up and this will be rescinded ...

I was going to write "one should know the full scale of what is being discussed before sticking their nose into something they do not full comprehend and talking gibberish shyte".

But then I though, nah, it's overboard, be kind ...

·
nissan patrol
15,618 Posts
I think Xi has his own problems within China at the moment with the coronavirus recession and is doing what national leaders often do when there is some internal discontent by showing some aggressive strength towards an external party. He needs to be careful though because in recent years there was a bit of a movement within Taiwan towards closer unity with China and the Taiwanese are watching Hong Kong very carefully.
I think Xi is being aggressive because of covid.

#1; the pandemic has shown a weakness in the next "great leader" and his people have seen it. So his only option, short of rolling tanks in the tiananmen square, is to show outside aggression. And they only way he can do that is to continue, at a faster pace, is his oft stated 'china as a world leader and power' nationalistic BS. This started with his build up of the armed forces, militarisation of the the south china sea and his stated reunification of china and taiwan.

#2. The world is about to be plunged into one of the biggest recessions ever, whole countries are about to have their economies wiped out. He sees that as a weakness, and thus an opportunity for him to exploit so as to achieve #1 above at that faster pace.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,813 Posts
I have always referred to Xi as the smiling assassin, the smile is not so evident now and he looks as though he is having many sleepless nights, which he deserves, all dictators should have that thrust upon them, lol.

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
1,701 Posts
Are you guys talking about Chyna or the US? I am have trouble telling the difference when it comes to their respective leaders.

I have my perspective on HK. With some of the charming rhetoric being bandied around here I will keep my perspective to myself. My wife has immediate family that live on the island and have HK resident status. Last I heard they may be pulling the pin. But where to? Their options are US, England or Australia (they have a residence in London and Australia). I think the first two are the least desirable. Brexit, Boris and Trump.

·
nissan patrol
15,618 Posts
A little back story to my time in HK, and the geopolitical BS that used to go on. It was all a bit of a headfcuk from all the interested parties as far as I was concerned.

In the late 88, early 89 I was sent to run a job in the Bohai Basin (near Bejing), this was rig based and I was the senior toolpusher. It was a royal pain in the butt working for the chinese national oil company (CNPC), but I got on with their head honchos and the hands (ordinary workers) well, the job went off without a hitch, came in under budget and no one got hurt (which really surprised them).

In return I must have impressed someone as in 90 there was another contract of a year and a half duration and the company I worked for gave CNPC a short a list of names as the manager for the contract. I was selected, and I can only think that it was because of the Bohai job as I was certainly not the most experienced on the list.

The job entailed managing the oil drilling operations in the Hainan and Zhanjiang basins (west of HK) with the office in HK. My company (british based) had an office on the south side of Boundary Road. CNPC didn’t want me using that office, no one told me the real reason why, but unofficially I was told that CNPC probably thought that our office phones would be tapped and that the brits would be able to extract information from my phone calls to the CNPC office on the north side of Boundary Street.

Complete and utter crap of course, but such is the suspicious nature of the oriental mind I guess. So I was required to live on the north side and use the CNPC office, which I was also told meant that there was a possibility of the CNPC office tapping my phone to find out what I was discussing with my office. This was a real possibility, so anything of a commercial nature, or any discussion with regard to propriety information I had to cross over to my company office to discuss in person. A lot of taxi rides were had.

In the mid 90’s I did another contract, this time with Vietnam using two JDC rigs (Japan Drilling Company). I coordinated this contract from HK where both JDC and the Vietnamese national oil company Petrovietnam (PVN) had offices (both on the south side of Boundary). I was based in the PVN office. PVN, did not want me to live on the north side of Boundary because they thought chinese spys could tap into phone calls I made from that side… And … JDC was in agreement with them.

The one take away from all that is that there must have been some history of espionage on the north side of boundary or none of it would have happened ...

I went back a 3rd time for 3 one month hitches, but that time I was based in a CNPC office in Shenzhen, which is on the north border of the new territories. They did not want me going into HK except to catch my crew change flights home. As I said itt was a month on month off rotational job and my back to back at the start was a mate from Canada named D’Arcy McGreggor. He only lasted the one hitch as he could not handle the hassle he got from CNCP because they thought he was being secretive and grilled him on every little thing …

And such IS the suspicious nature of the oriental mind …

I really enjoyed my time there, but at times it was a pain in the mikta because of the BS.

Shortly after he left D’Arcy snagged a contract in Angola and asked me to come be his back to back there. He didn’t have to ask twice and I was off as I had finally had enough of the chinese.

The 4 years we spent in Angola was one of the most interesting and funniest jobs I ever had. Despite the fact that Angola was having a civil war, there were lots of shooting going on, it was full of communist Russians (who backed and propped up the Angolan Govt against the guerilla factions) and the place was a chithole we both actually had a good time lol. The Russians were fun guys, and had ooddles of booze and access to good food. Something the cash strapped Angolans did not have.

When I first got there I thought there was something strange, just a feeling, but I could not put my finger in it.

It took me awhile, but it finally dawned on me. There were no old Angolans, turns out that life expectancy of the locals was very, very, very short due to the death toll of the civil war.

·
Registered
nissan
6,494 Posts
Near as dammit,
I'd say that all of Hong Kong Island and half of modern day Kowloon being former sovereign British territory is still significant although I agree completely that you couldn't divide the city and only give half of it back. It's clear you don't think that area is significant so I guess we will just disagree on that point and move on because I agree with most of what you write.

I think Xi is being aggressive because of covid.
I agree completely. Covid is proving to be a double prongeg fork sticking in Xi's side. One prong is the recession caused by internal forces originating with the massive lock downs that have so successfully contained the disease there. With the lockdowns Xi was damned if he did and damned if he didn't just like leaders around the world. The other prong is the world wide recession caused by covid that has reduced demand on China's goods and is causing a recession from external forces that Xi can do absolutely nothing about. Just like western economies, the Chinese economy depends on growth for stability. Small recessions don't do too much damage but the difficulty is in keeping them small and stopping the snow ball effect.

The world is about to be plunged into one of the biggest recessions ever,
I think you are right about that and there is even potential for some countries to descend into civil war

Are you guys talking about Chyna or the US? I am have trouble telling the difference when it comes to their respective leaders.
Yes, they are both suffering internal problems so are both playing the strong man role which is what national leaders always do. The fact that they are sparring with each other to look big is a worry.

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,552 Posts
🤣 🤣

Foo

Reactions: Grafe

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,552 Posts
Says a lot, if it's legit. :unsure:

Foo

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,552 Posts

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,239 Posts
Im The Rapid Response Social Worker Who Replaced The Police

Im not gonna lie, this isnt exactly what I expectedlying here in the hospital. I mean, its only a few broken bones, a punctured lung, and some stitches to the head, but I almost feel betrayed. Three weeks ago when I took the the 5 hour online course to become an unarmed rapid response social worker, I thought I was helping mankind. After all, with the police abolished, somebody had to be there to mitigate when people had inevitable disagreements.

My first mitigation didnt go great. I was called to a scene of a bank robberywhich, there werent suppose to be any bank robberies once the capitalistdriven oppression of the police no longer created crime, but I guess this guy, holding a shot gun didnt get the memo.

Thinking back on my extensive training, I tried to calm things down with a breathing exercise. But he just kept yelling and pointing the gun at me, which again, not suppose to happen. While his desire to rob the bank was understandable, even laudable, we had collectively decided not to support such actions, and resources were available to him. Thats when he hit me on the head with the butt of his gun; I think it was the butt of his gun, anyway. That was just one person, thoughone person who was really rich now.

The next day went remarkably better, I was called to a gang fight that was about to get very heated. No guns, just knives and brass knuckles. I suggested we all sit in a circle and use a feelings chart to determine what had brought us all to this place. I did not, of course, suggest that while I was there for some inherently better or more virtuous purpose, and I think they really got it! They stopped fighting each other to laugh at me and stole my wallet, cell phone, and watch instead. Progress!

It was yesterday, my third day on the job, when things started to get dicey. There were reports of revolutionary redistribution of corporate asserts, which used to be called looting. I consulted my Rapid Respnse Social Worker app, and it advised me to start gently chanting, Hope is the thing with feathers, Dickinson. Its a technique that was developed to deescalate harmful situations with poetry. The rest is a blur. There were a few baseball bats to the legs. A large glass bottle of something sticky, organic maple syrup maybe, was smashed on my head. People were kicking me in the ribs, and I saw a few people fighting over a Ralph Lauren down comforter they were stealing...I mean redistributing. The comforter ripped, there was chaos everywhere and when I woke up in the ambulance, well, I was the thing with feathers,

This morning when I woke up, my supervisor was right there next to my bed. I thought maybe she brought flowers or one of those shiny balloons from the hospital gift gift shop. But actually she had a long complaint form, detaining the ways in which I had failed in my job and failed the collective community. I was still kinda of groggy, I didnt catch it all, but something about failure to recognize what was really going on. Which, I mean, yeah probably.

Im not giving up though. Nobody said this thing would be easy. They also didnt say it would put me in the ICU, but thats beside the point. We are creating a better worldone where police, the real criminals, no longer exists, and more equitable forms of community support for need based compelled law suggestions can thrive. Even on my short time on the job I saw the need, possibly, for those criminals released from prison early might benefit from a class in prison, like my online class, before they are released might be a game change. Same goes for the new no bail folks, maybe just a short 1-2 hour class before they are released back into our communities. The possibilities of good are endless.

Are we there yet? No, but once I get out of the hospital and off my suspension, Ill be right back at work making America a better place.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,813 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,813 Posts

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,084 Posts
I haven’t read the bulk of this thread for a while, (ok, quite a long while), but has China’s gold situation been discussed? It appears that may be about to blow up in the very near future.

Kingold. China’s largest bullion and jewelry dealer if I’m not mistaken, borrowed nearly $4 billion clams (AUD), using about 83 tonnes of bullion as collateral, from Chinese banks.

They have defaulted and the bank(s) have come chasing their bullion, only to find a hefty chunk is gold plated tungsten and copper.

This is frowned upon.

Further investigation suggests that at a bare conservative minimum, more than 4.2% of China’s bullion holdings may be fake, and they are frantically looking in to it.

Given their already precariously balanced economy this could end badly, and the rest of us will be dragged down behind them.

4.2% may not sound like much, but if that is quoted in raw dollars I’m guessing it runs well into the billions, if not tens of billions.

Isn’t Confuscious himself credited with the double edged farewell; “may you live in interesting times” ?

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,552 Posts

·
nissan patrol
15,618 Posts
I haven’t read the bulk of this thread for a while, (ok, quite a long while), but has China’s gold situation been discussed? It appears that may be about to blow up in the very near future.

Kingold. China’s largest bullion and jewelry dealer if I’m not mistaken, borrowed nearly $4 billion clams (AUD), using about 83 tonnes of bullion as collateral, from Chinese banks.

They have defaulted and the bank(s) have come chasing their bullion, only to find a hefty chunk is gold plated tungsten and copper.

This is frowned upon.

Further investigation suggests that at a bare conservative minimum, more than 4.2% of China’s bullion holdings may be fake, and they are frantically looking in to it.

Given their already precariously balanced economy this could end badly, and the rest of us will be dragged down behind them.

4.2% may not sound like much, but if that is quoted in raw dollars I’m guessing it runs well into the billions, if not tens of billions.

Isn’t Confuscious himself credited with the double edged farewell; “may you live in interesting times” ?
Funny thing about that. I saw it in nikkei asian review several days ago and it reminded me of another chinese gold fraud not long ago. It was pretty public due to the executions that followed.

It was about 4 of 5 years ago some mob (cant remember the name off hand, will look it up when I have time) borrowed several billion from banks against gold deposited and when that mob made money the profits went off into another entity, and the mob defaulted on the original loans. So the bank went to melt down the gold and it was found that tungsten was in the center.

The mob made the profit money by building cities (now known as ghost cities) for the CCP, and the profits vehicle of the mob then got into and played into the chinese housing bubble as the middle classes took off, that made even more money.

When the dust settled the mob head people were shot (one was a high level CCP person, or military, I remember), the banks (known as shadow, or underground, banks as they are outside of the CCP regulated system) shut up shop (and the bosses probably got shot, don't know).

And the CCP...

Nothing, nada, zip.

The Shanghai Stock Exchange never blinked, international gold prices wobbled a tad, then closed higher.

Life went on.

So, don't hold your breath on it hammering the CCP much, besides, with their current economic issues what's a couple of billion more?

I don't think it will be the feather that broke the camels back as far as china goes.

Their threat comes from their middle class. As soon as the living standards start to drop, due to their reduced, to non existent, GDP growth (covid etc) there will be unrest.

Some say that china knows this very well and their current aggression on the world stage is to keep the middle class enthralled and patriotic (much like hitler did with the rhineland and other annexations). I don't so much. chinese aggression goes further back than the above. Read here if you want the know how long their world domination plans have been in place.
China’s Steps Backward Began Under Hu Jintao

·
nissan patrol
15,618 Posts
I wonder how much truth could be involved here? :unsure:

Foo
lol, none.

It's a hoax.

AKA; A conspiracy theory ...

AKA; Clinton Body Count ...

AKA; Clinton Body Bags

FACT CHECK: Clinton Body Bags

You need to find better news and info sources mate. ;)

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,084 Posts
The seppoes have decided to issue an edict declaring all companies listed on the stock exchange are required to declare they have no ownership by foreign government interests. I can’t recall the precise details and can’t find it, nor recall where I heard it so if someone knows better I’d be interested.

I also recall companies are required to open their books to intense scrutiny every three years at most, now Chinese companies have had a hissy fit as they see their financials as akin to state secrets.

Both of these edicts are seen to be aimed at China .... according to China lol

2181 - 2200 of 2200 Posts