Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

With the current Ukraine situation, where are the hands on the doomsday clock situated?

3041 - 3060 of 3080 Posts

·
Rogue
D23 Navara ST-X | Waiting for my Ranger Raptor V6TT
20,585 Posts
The cost of administering a monarch as head of state, Charles won't last forever, then we'll have changed again. Less wasted time and cost with archaic formalities.

·
Premium Member
Nuffin now
29,052 Posts
Which ever way it goes, there won't be any change out a couple $10000000.

Foo

·
Rogue
20,585 Posts
Do you think a president will be any cheaper?
Yep, the Monarch doesn't get elected, doesn't really have any power and the GG costs just as much for someone that does very little administratively, and nothing for us internationally.

Anyone questioning the value of getting rid of the Monarch, I pose a question to you, why keep a Monarch?

·
Registered
nissan gq
3,126 Posts
Yep, the Monarch doesn't get elected, doesn't really have any power and the GG costs just as much for someone that does very little administratively, and nothing for us internationally.

Anyone questioning the value of getting rid of the Monarch, I pose a question to you, why keep a Monarch?
When you talk about wasted money,just count up the former prime ministers drawing pensions we minions could only dream of.They lost thier jobs,go find work or retire on your super,stop spounging off the taxpayer. 🖕

·
Rogue
20,585 Posts
If Russia's objective was to 'demilitarize' Ukraine, they've done a fantastic job of doing the opposite. Russia is probably now the most significant contributor to the Ukrainian military based on the abandonment of stranded vehicles, and most significantly, the recent retreat in the Kharkiv Region. By abandoning vehicles, weapons, ammunition, supplies, etc. Russia has done more for its own defeat than Ukraine's western allies.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,890 Posts
I'm a republican at heart but have been pretty happy with what I've seen of our current form of government but that is no doubt due to the fact that for all intents and purposes Australia has been governed in practice as a republic even though it is not one in principle. That would all change with a meddling monarch. Get one crap monarch that starts interfering in Australian politics and there would be no monarchists here at all. I'd be happy staying a constitutional monarchy if I could be sure that all future monarchs would be as good as Liz was but I know that will just not happen. The risk I see in becoming a republic is that many forms of republic are worse than what we have, just have a look at China and North Korea, or even the USA. I also dislike the idea of letting the pollies mess with the constitution which they will most likely do to their own benefit. I seem to remember some decades back during the republican debate that many/most Aussies were in favour of a republic in principal but not many were in favour of the particular style that was proposed. I see risk both in changing and in not changing.

The biggest problem I see with continuing under the current constitution is that an unelected foreigner (via their GG) has veto power over every bill that goes through parliament and we have no way to change the constitution without that foreigner (or their GG) agreeing to it. It might be many decades down the track but I have no doubt that one day there will be a crap monarch and when that day comes it will be very hard to get rid of them.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
NP300
16,120 Posts
Australia is a constitutional monarchy and our head of state is the Tampon Charlie. However, the new king does not have a role in the day-to-day running of Australia. On the advice of the Prime Minister, the he appoints the Governor-General, who is the Queen’s representative in Australia.

The Australian Constitution delegates, gives, certain powers to the Governor-General to act on behalf of the King. These include giving Royal Assent to laws passed by the Australian Parliament and starting the process for a federal election.

While these powers are exercised by the Governor-General, in reality this is normally done on the advice of the Prime Minister and ministers, not the queen or king.

The constitutional monarch has no sway over the Australian Parliament and cannot veto Aust bills, and with a pro republic labor party at the helm I can’t see them letting he stick his big ears in anyway.

There is a key component to our constitutional convention.

It states;

the Royal Assent will not withheld from Bills which have been passed by both Houses of Parliament.

The principle of responsible government serves that of representative government by ensuring that the executive government is responsible to, and derived from, the representatives of the people in parliament. Both principles require that parliament prevails over the executive, and the executive can only function as long as it holds the support of the lower (representative) house.

The defeat of a government on a bill, whether it be defeat of a bill proposed by the government or the passage of a bill opposed by the government, will not necessarily indicate a loss of confidence and require the government to resign or seek an election. But it will do so when the bill is one of major importance to the government.

There is therefore a strong argument that if a government regards a bill to be of such critical importance that it is prepared to advise the head of state to refuse assent to it, then the government’s defeat indicated by the passage of that bill amounts to a loss of confidence in the government.

This is why it would be madness for a government to advise the head of state to refuse assent to a bill that has been passed against its wishes. Such action would not only raise a serious question about whether it can continue governing, but it would place the head of state in an invidious position by forcing him or her to reject either the advice of the houses of parliament or of ministers.

Added to this would be enormous public controversy about the constitutional propriety of the government’s action. This would undoubtedly be damaging for a government in a subsequent election.

There is a reason why there is no precedent of a government in the UK or Australia advising the refusal of assent in such circumstances. It would not only be a constitutionally dubious thing to do, but would also be politically stupid.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,696 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,696 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gq
3,126 Posts
It looks like russia's propaganda and corruption is all coming home to roost,believing thier own bullshit and hierachy skimming off revenue meant for munitions has all come around to bite them on the,what's that word ? blyat ? I suspect china is the same.

·
Rogue
20,585 Posts
It looks like russia's propaganda and corruption is all coming home to roost,believing thier own bullshit and hierachy skimming off revenue meant for munitions has all come around to bite them on the,what's that word ? blyat ? I suspect china is the same.
Why? What's happened?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,696 Posts
When you look at the poverty levels in China's domain it shows where all the effort is going, they have their own equivalent to Russia's Oligarch's. (marvellous what you find to read when your sick).

An older article but interesting.

Interesting article from another perspective. Might I say from the outset to anyone thinking otherwise 'not my perspective', just an interesting article :).

Another interesting article.

Another interesting article.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,696 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,696 Posts

·
Rogue
20,585 Posts
Old Vlad and his cronies are stressing big time now Ukraine have advanced toward Luhansk hahah, no longer a special operation if they're mobilising reservists Partial mobilization applies to reservists with military experience, specialty

Also saw on a few Telegram channels that Chinese forces, or at least military hardware (trucks, light vehicles, weapons, armour, etc), with the Russians in Ukraine or on the way. Can't trust their own production hahaha no links to a credible resource, so take that one with a grain of salt

Reactions: geeyoutoo and Foo

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,696 Posts
Putin has totally lost it, the hand on the clock just took another minute off. Civil war or nuclear war?

3041 - 3060 of 3080 Posts