Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

With the current Ukraine situation, where are the hands on the doomsday clock situated?

3201 - 3220 of 3264 Posts

·
Rogue
22' Ranger Raptor V6TT
20,638 Posts
I watch a few videos of street interviews of Russian's perceptions on various topics, but nearly all of them respond something along the lines; "I don't know, I don't follow politics, that's for educated and qualified politicians". The average Russian is submissive and doesn't understand democracy or capitalism, as far as they know, democracy is for regional governance, in which those regional governors put forward federal persons up for a top job or by decree of the President and capitalism is administered by oligarchs.

·
Rogue
22' Ranger Raptor V6TT
20,638 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,163 Posts
Nice to see French capitalism at play with Government protection of Government controlled assets in the guise of 'climate change', I'm sure there would be other mechanisms they could have used but anyway. Prop up nuclear power, prop up the railways France bans domestic flights in a bid to reduce carbon emissions
Lol, having spent a bit of time working and traveling in the US I know that often it is quicker to drive to another city than it is to fly, by the time you drive to the airport, park, wait for your flight, board, etc, etc your there by car.

·
Rogue
22' Ranger Raptor V6TT
20,638 Posts
Lol, having spent a bit of time working and traveling in the US I know that often it is quicker to drive to another city than it is to fly, by the time you drive to the airport, park, wait for your flight, board, etc, etc your there by car.
yeah it is the case here too, but if it were such a bad thing no one would fly. Albury has multiple direct flights daily to Melbourne and Sydney, the ticket is (was) typically cheap and including a taxi/bus to Melb it was the same time as driving, but you could do some work on the way there and back. It was about twice the price of fuel for the trip, maybe a bit less if you have to pay $20-50 for parking. A train....hahaha VicTrack/VLine are a joke, expensive, slow and unreliable. Sometimes I'd drive most of the way, park at Seymour, Broadmeadows or Wallan and train from there, but even then, it's really not that far off a plane ticket. Lots of companies around here have their own private planes to ship people around as it's quicker, cheaper and better levels of services that anything public transport can support

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,163 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
6,133 Posts
It’s looking like it won’t be the big republican win that the trumpists we’re hoping for. The Pennsylvania senate seat has been flipped by the dems so there’s now a good chance they might hold onto the senate after all.
it’s unlikely they can hold the House but it won’t be the big majority they were hoping for.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
21,850 Posts

·
Rogue
22' Ranger Raptor V6TT
20,638 Posts
Russia withdrawing forces from the Northern Kerson region is not a good look for Putin and his project. If Russia was cocky enough to occupy and annex the territory as Russian Federation proper and cannot keep it and guarantee security there, what's the point and how weak are they really? Source: Russian military blogger: Рыбарь

Font Screenshot Electronic device Multimedia Technology

EDIT:
Add to that, that Russia is being more open about wanting Ukraine to negotiate https://tass.ru/politika/16281733 Russian's don't seem happy with this weak and weakening position that probably cannot be maintained even if they negotiated
Font Gadget Communication Device Screenshot Multimedia

Reactions: Haggie and Foo

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,163 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gq
3,387 Posts
Russia withdrawing forces from the Northern Kerson region is not a good look for Putin and his project. If Russia was cocky enough to occupy and annex the territory as Russian Federation proper and cannot keep it and guarantee security there, what's the point and how weak are they really? Source: Russian military blogger: Рыбарь

View attachment 547480

EDIT:
Add to that, that Russia is being more open about wanting Ukraine to negotiate https://tass.ru/politika/16281733 Russian's don't seem happy with this weak and weakening position that probably cannot be maintained even if they negotiated
View attachment 547481
This might be a suck in plan then use a tactical nuke :mad:

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
NP300
16,277 Posts
I was reading that carrot heads supporters are falling by the wayside, and now some are in open opposition with him.

The only reason trump still holds sway in the GOP is numbers.

Carrot head's victory in 2016 came on the back of a surge in voter turnout among white Americans without a college degree, a group he won by better than a 2-1 margin over clinton.

He won 6.5 million more voters over the age of 45, despite losing the national popular vote by almost three million.

But he is like a drug the republicans are yet to find a way to kick. From what I have read, most accounts, very few repub's in congress want him back, and many believe that if a secret ballot had been held in the senate, at the time, more than the required number of 17 would have joined with the 50 dems to convict him and ban him from holding office in the future.

Trouble is, that he has hinted that if he doesn't get his own way he will start his own party (Patriot Party) and take a large swath of the 74million that voted for him in 2016 with him.

And that would send the repubs into the dust bin of history for the final time. It happened when in 1912 Theodore Roosevelt started his own party and the repubs came a distant third in the elections. They very nearly never recovered, I doubt they will this time if they dont do something.

It all reminds me of the old Al Wilson song The Sanke (with carrot head the snake)

A tender-hearted woman saw a poor half-frozen snake
His pretty colored skin had been all frosted with the dew
"Oh well," she cried, "I'll take you in and I'll take care of you"
She wrapped him up all cozy in a coverture of silk
And then laid him by the fireside with some honey and some milk
Now she hurried home from work that night, as soon as she arrived
She found that pretty snake she'd taken in had been revived
Now she clutched him to her bosom, "You're so beautiful," she cried
"But if I hadn't brought you in, by now you might have died"
Now she stroked his pretty skin again and then kissed and held him tight
But instead of saying thanks, that snake gave her a vicious bite
"I saved you," cried that woman
"And you've bit me even, why?
And you know your bite is poisonous and now I'm gonna die"
"Oh shut up, silly woman," said that reptile with a grin
"You knew damn well I was a snake before you brought me in"

They need to get rid of him now, or they will be the ones dying.

·
Registered
nissan
6,133 Posts
Warnock can't get to 50% in Georgia so that will go to a runoff. Arizona looks good for Kelly and Nevada is still possible for the Dems. If they get Arizona & Nevada they won't need Georgia anyway.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,163 Posts
I wonder if it is now a possibility that there may be some common ground among dems and reps in governing the USA? 😱

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,163 Posts
Not if McCarthy gets to be Speaker. He’s a devoted Trump ring kisser.. but you never know with these people when the wind changes.
The Red Wave didn't happen, it is certainly looking like trumps 2024 dream may be on a knife edge, from what I'm reading in the US press many are walking away, but time will tell.
I just hope this Kari Lake goes down, that could add to the mix.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
NP300
16,277 Posts
I wonder if it is now a possibility that there may be some common ground among dems and reps in governing the USA? 😱
Only if moderate repubs vote dem.

But they are too polarised, party platform wise, to come even close to a consensus...

And the biggest elephant in the room is the overturning of wade vs roe to remove fed regulation and place it in state control.

Good luck getting the bible belt states to any Dem led consensus table.

Further, the supreme court decision has emboldened repub grassroots activists to continue campaigning to overturn other liberal decisions.

It is going to be a difficult, and nasty struggle, especially as long as trump and/or his sycophants are continually running for office.

Americans have rarely been as polarised as they are today and, with partisanship now increasingly tied to other kinds of social identity, affective polarisation is on the rise and I can't see it changing anytime soon.

Quote from Carnegie Endowment for International Peace

The rise of political polarization in the United States has pushed analysts to ask a fundamental question: what long-term effects will polarized politics have on the United States’ democracy?

Existing evidence provides ample reason for concern.

At the elite level, deep political divides in Washington have crippled efforts at legislative compromise, eroded institutional and behavioral norms, and incentivized politicians to pursue their aims outside of gridlocked institutions, including through the courts.

Yet these divides extend far beyond the corridors of power, as polarization at the mass level is pushing Americans across the country to divide themselves into distinct and mutually exclusive political camps.

The rise of an “us versus them” mindset and political identity in American sociopolitical life is evident in everything from the rise of highly partisan media to the decline in Americans’ willingness to marry someone from the opposing political party.

Even more concerningly, polarization has already brought on serious dynamic problems and these dynamics are contributing directly to a steep rise in political violence.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,163 Posts
Sharp fall in US inflation, I bet Dems would have liked this news to come out a few days ago.
Not happy Jan.
Whodathunk.
Oh I want to see this Kari Lake beaten. Gonna be close.

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
3,328 Posts
Things are crook when a Murdoch owned rag has this as its front page.

Wall street journal (another Murdoch masthead) joined the pile on with an editorial titled - "Trump Is the Republican Party’s Biggest Loser"

3201 - 3220 of 3264 Posts