Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Inverter with deep cycle battery(ies)

3K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  seth.jxl 
#1 ·
Hi guys

I currently run a dual-battery set-up in our 2011 GU4.

I will want to install a 1500W inverter for charging camera batteries while out camping. Not just one or two, but four batteries at a time, twice a day most likely as a minimum (Olympus mirrorless tend to chew a fair bit of power). I would also run AA battery chargers off the same power outlets, but mostly the camera batteries and sometimes the laptop(s) to process images on the run in camp.

My question is, what possible problems would I run into if I were to install two deep cycle batteries? The idea is to run the inverter from, which would be charged while driving and supplying the inverter power both while driving and stationary. Would I potentially need a more powerful alternator (if there's such a thing) or would my stock standard be able to cope?

Thanks for any tips guys

#3 ·
Step one is to work out the power drain in watts fro your chargers. I have no idea what they might be, but generally batteries can only be charged at a certain rate, hence why it takes a few hours on average. So it is likely that your requirements will much less then 1500w. Work that out first, and then see how much power your inverter will be using. You can then calculate how long a 100ah deep cycle battery will last running it.

If running at full capacity, a 1500w inverter will flatten a big battery in a very short time, so hopefully you will not need that capacity.

#4 ·
GQshayne is on the money. Find the draw of your chargers (in Watts please), then work out how long you need to run them to recharge all your batteries. Once you know that, then you can begin to size the battery that will be needed to supply charge.

Lastly, If you plan to run Any high current items (like a toaster or kettle), it's good to know that as your inverter might put out 1.5kw, but your battery may well not.

#5 ·
You won't need 1500w. Save yourself the money and weight and get yourself a smaller one.

The most a laptop and 4 battery chargers will probably draw is 300 watts. Current = Power(300) / Voltage (12), = 25 Amps. If you ran that inverter maxed out (which you won't), it would take 4 hours to completely drain a standard size 100Ah battery. For battery longevity you would only run it for 2 hours, which is still enough to fully charge your laptop and batteries. A standard dual battery and alternator setup will charge that battery no problem.

If I were you I'd look at putting in solar panels to keep your battery topped up while charging your gear.

#7 ·
Math is not quite right there.

inverter is %90 efficient so 300w at inverter is about 330w to the 12v side.

If its an AGM, A 100AH has only 50Ah (most inverters would cut off at this point or there about). However Ninox is suggesting 2 batteries, so it is actually safe to assume we do have 100Ah to play with.

Let's do it properly, get the wattages and time, then advise correctly for the system needs.

#9 ·
Keep in mind also, that the inverter is only going to drain your battery relative to how much power it is providing. So while a 1500w unit will drain your battery quickly at full capacity, it may only be using 300w as an example. This is what will drain your battery, not the full 1500w.

So the power being used, rather than the size of the inverter is what will determine battery life.

#12 ·
What I read of the camera batteries is this:

Output Voltage - 7.4V
Power - 12.8W

Would this mean it draws that many watts per hour while charging? (I have asked a friend who does work at Olympus Australia so he should be able to get me exact draw wattage).

So if the charge takes approximately 2 hours from spent to full charge, then I am looking at 2 x 12.8 or 25.6 Watt Hours for two hours of charging? Is that the right assumption?

As Neardood1 above suggested, I was actually also thinking of adding some solar panels to aid with charging.

#13 ·
What I read of the camera batteries is this:

Output Voltage - 7.4V
Power - 12.8W

Would this mean it draws that many watts per hour while charging? (I have asked a friend who does work at Olympus Australia so he should be able to get me exact draw wattage).

So if the charge takes approximately 2 hours from spent to full charge, then I am looking at 2 x 12.8 or 25.6 Watt Hours for two hours of charging? Is that the right assumption?

As Neardood1 above suggested, I was actually also thinking of adding some solar panels to aid with charging.
You got it mate. this is why it's great to work in Watts.
So what else do you have that you need to power or charge?

So far, we need 28Wh for one battery, pet charge. Time to write a list! :)

#18 ·
You’ll be fine. Sounds like the current draw is a fraction of what is needed. Solar panel is a good idea. Not all inverters are truthful, if you need 1500w (for say, a small kettle) you might need a bigger inverter.

Most battery chargers are 12v and run off a 240v brick.You could save yourself the hassle of an inverter and improve efficiency by finding 12v lead for the chargers. I think nitecore come with one and if the laptop is usbc, these are available too.

#19 ·
Hi guys

I currently run a dual-battery set-up in our 2011 GU4.

I will want to install a 1500W inverter for charging camera batteries while out camping. Not just one or two, but four batteries at a time, twice a day most likely as a minimum (Olympus mirrorless tend to chew a fair bit of power). I would also run AA battery chargers off the same power outlets, but mostly the camera batteries and sometimes the laptop(s) to process images on the run in camp.

My question is, what possible problems would I run into if I were to install two deep cycle batteries? The idea is to run the inverter from, which would be charged while driving and supplying the inverter power both while driving and stationary. Would I potentially need a more powerful alternator (if there's such a thing) or would my stock standard be able to cope?

Thanks for any tips guys
Hi, would suggest you look at all the batteries you want to charge, that being most camera batteries are less than 12volts, a computer normally is only 18volts, So for the computer I run a Universal Car charger ex jaycar whcih is 12-16 volt in and 15 to 20volt out. For the camera,s I have, I have travel chargers which accept 12volt input, available on line to suit your camera battery.
So no reason to run invertors giving 240volts and then change it down to 12volts or less...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.