Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Overview:
I've been wanting to do this for some time.
Like everything else, we're told one thing to experience another.
I've read, downloaded every app unimaginable. Tested, used, got very miffed at times too.
What I want to do is get folks feedback on what they use.

The plethora of info out there is very misleading, can be very expensive if the right advice isn't given.

We live in strange times.
If anyone want's to join in, please let this threads readers know.

Tomorrow I will post my experiences, perhaps we could go from there?

Perhaps we could get some sort of archive for it maybe?
Many people for example buy a camera and say how good/bad it is on the google play app store.
This is a false Commodity.
Apps are mostly generic, they have fat zero to do with the camera sold.

Thoughts....
Cheers.
馃嵑

Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
I use plenty I guess.

Strava for my cycling, so that I can save n track my kilometres, climbing, speed, heart rate, what Zone I have done efforts in and how long that I have held that zone.

The usual Google thingies = maps storage n a host of other stuff

Nikon app for the camera uploads to the phone.

Wahoo Element for my training and racing in real time.

CycliqPlus for the camera/video on my bike.

Gator dash Cam for when I'm driving the B-double.

Spotify for music.

PodcastOne for podcasts.

Waze that is a traffic notification but not used this yet but my wife has and she loves it.

Instagram.

Facebook and I have three accounts. One for my personal use, one for my circle of best mates and wives and one for all types of cycling that is only for that sport.

Bom site for weather

Tapatalk for my phone n tablet for when I'm away in the truck or out.

So there ya go, that's some of them. :unsure: 馃檪

Foo

Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
I'll move this to off topic section which was designed for this type of thread, the danger here in GD is crap creeping in.

Registered
Triton n Lovin it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Foo! 馃憤
We'll need you I think.
I didn't get a notification on this thread via the inbox. I have to check frequently, apologies.

Waze is top notch. Designed by an Israeli group, bought by google, go figure lol!

Ok here's my setup:
I have to use a mifi/wifi for signal. Not perfect at all, but at least I can connect with some decent speed. No wires out here.
I have CCTV. I use 6 wifi cameras.
Robbers next door, 60 year old child and his teenage son thing opposite. You get the picture.

I'll leave this open and add details at some other point if that's ok?
Many thanks.
馃嵑

I use plenty I guess.

Strava for my cycling, so that I can save n track my kilometres, climbing, speed, heart rate, what Zone I have done efforts in and how long that I have held that zone.

The usual Google thingies = maps storage n a host of other stuff

Nikon app for the camera uploads to the phone.

Wahoo Element for my training and racing in real time.

CycliqPlus for the camera/video on my bike.

Gator dash Cam for when I'm driving the B-double.

Spotify for music.

PodcastOne for podcasts.

Waze that is a traffic notification but not used this yet but my wife has and she loves it.

Instagram.

Facebook and I have three accounts. One for my person use, one for my circle of best mates and wives and one for all types of cycling that is only for that sport.

Bom site for weather

Tapatalk for my phone n tablet for when I'm away in the truck or out.

So there ya go, that's some of them. :unsure: 馃檪

Foo

Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
Lol!
Yeah but I'm driving later!
馃嵑馃憤
Well I can't drink through the week, as I drive a truck. Restarted at 11.30pm last night after starting at 3.30am yesterday morning and then grabbing 3.5hrs at 7.30pm last night, so I'm surprised that I'm still awake now.

If you are into sport, then there are plenty of good apps to monitor your progress and let you know if you have gotten better over any section that you have been training on.

Foo

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Eek. That's a tough schedule! 馃い
Is there an app for gagging summer people and tying them to trees? :unsure:

Well I can't drink through the week, as I drive a truck. Restarted at 11.30pm last night after starting at 3.30am yesterday morning and then grabbing 3.5hrs at 7.30pm last night, so I'm surprised that I'm still awake now.

If you are into sport, then there are plenty of good apps to monitor your progress and let you know if you have gotten better over any section that you have been training on.

Foo

Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
Home...
I have a IP based pan, tilt and zoom looking after my workshop at home. It will auto track and follow you around the room using both movement and sound. Full HD and has exceptional night vision. It uses Grid Connect to connect and operate it as well as multiple smart home devices. It notifies me as soon as there is something detected and i can view/record as well as listen in and talk to whoever is near the camera from my phone. ( As for the rest. It's the cameras you don't see that will get you. )
Grid connect also intergtates with Google home and Amazon Echo products. I for example turn my dust extractor on and off with a voice command so I can be at the table saw and not have to move away from the saw to turn it on and off.

Work...
For those overseas. I'm a IT tech that specializes in installing and setting up IT infrastructure on a very large scale. Due to the fact you can't trust the security installers to do anything more complicated than bolt a a camera to a wall or post. I also do all the network connections and switch configurations so all they have to do is focus the cameras. These are IP based high end units running corporate level DVR software. Can count the zits on the face of someone from a camera they didn't even see. (Same theroy as home cameras )
I also setup and maintain the smart home displays in our stores which have several different manufacturers devices. Most of which are intergrated with Google home and Amazon Echo. The camera control software from the different manufacturers works about as good as you would expect from home level gear. Easy to use and setup but it can be buggy. This occasionally does my head in as I'm more used to higher end quality and reliability. The Arlo camera software is pretty good on it's own and integrates well into a smart home environment.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much indeed!
I'll read this thoroughly when I have time.
Hey! I can have a beer! OFF DUTY!
馃嵑

Home...
I have a IP based pan, tilt and zoom looking after my workshop at home. It will auto track and follow you around the room using both movement and sound. Full HD and has exceptional night vision. It uses Grid Connect to connect and operate it as well as multiple smart home devices. It notifies me as soon as there is something detected and i can view/record as well as listen in and talk to whoever is near the camera from my phone. ( As for the rest. It's the cameras you don't see that will get you. )
Grid connect also intergtates with Google home and Amazon Echo products. I for example turn my dust extractor on and off with a voice command so I can be at the table saw and not have to move away from the saw to turn it on and off.

Work...
For those overseas. I'm a IT tech that specializes in installing and setting up IT infrastructure on a very large scale. Due to the fact you can't trust the security installers to do anything more complicated than bolt a a camera to a wall or post. I also do all the network connections and switch configurations so all they have to do is focus the cameras. These are IP based high end units running corporate level DVR software. Can count the zits on the face of someone from a camera they didn't even see. (Same theroy as home cameras )
I also setup and maintain the smart home displays in our stores which have several different manufacturers devices. Most of which are intergrated with Google home and Amazon Echo. The camera control software from the different manufacturers works about as good as you would expect from home level gear. Easy to use and setup but it can be buggy. This occasionally does my head in as I'm more used to higher end quality and reliability. The Arlo camera software is pretty good on it's own and integrates well into a smart home environment.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I've downloaded and tried/tested over 30 apps to date for use with IP cams.
Some apps say they are dedicated for the camera, false.
Many are generic apps that are taken via open-source. Often they just change the look and push it out.
It's a little like the various flavours of linux, free and open to updating from various platforms.
I use linux, much prefer it, though soft comps take time to offer a linux edition.
My studio for example is windows based, no way around it.

At the moment I have the App Camhi. It's ok, it works bit there's no thumbnail of an event. This means you have to go through the whole list of events to find what happened.
Support does not reply. Update message are like, bugs updated, very little info.
This is just an example. This app is called 'dedicated' and offered with cameras from a company called PNI. In fact all cameras are rebranded to avoid marketing issues. Many Chinese suppliers are banned in the US.

That little fact makes using a third party app really problematic. Why? Notifications just don't work properly if at all because there's no true way of finding out what the camera actually is.....

The best app I've found to date is Yi Iot. It really works very well. Notifications have a thumbnail, saving time.
However, that brand app plus cams are said to be a hackers haven.

Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
I'm interestd in this myself. Looking around for a reasonably priced but effective system with several cameras.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
That kind of world sadly. So miss the hills and mountains. But given what's going on with our Globe I wondered if this might help folks secure things in difficult times.
I'm certain other peeps know more than myself. It is my hope someone might tag along and debunk a lot, since the Internet tends to offer what Google shows us.
Many thanks.

I'm interestd in this myself. Looking around for a reasonably priced but effective system with several cameras.

Registered
I am interested also. Reasonably priced is the hard bit. As cheaper end I question just how secure they are. I was going to get the Uniden system a couple of years ago. But since they struggle to make a dash cam that works for longer than 12mths. And that they store in the cloud. I question the value your money.

Local volunteer firebrigade has a good system with 12 cameras. The resolution is fantastic. But the cameras cost $300 each. And I cant justify that.
I only want 4 cameras. Driveway, front door, back door and garage. With record, motion notification, and secure streaming.

I know people hate Apple products. But if they built a security system. I know it would be expensive. But it would work first time, be extremely reliable and very secure.

Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
I am interested also. Reasonably priced is the hard bit. As cheaper end I question just how secure they are. I was going to get the Uniden system a couple of years ago. But since they struggle to make a dash cam that works for longer than 12mths. And that they store in the cloud. I question the value your money.

Local volunteer firebrigade has a good system with 12 cameras. The resolution is fantastic. But the cameras cost $300 each. And I cant justify that.
I only want 4 cameras. Driveway, front door, back door and garage. With record, motion notification, and secure streaming.

I know people hate Apple products. But if they built a security system. I know it would be expensive. But it would work first time, be extremely reliable and very secure.
As someone that deals with crapple products on a commercial scale. It is not as reliable as you would be lead to believe...

Registered
As someone that deals with crapple products on a commercial scale. It is not as reliable as you would be lead to believe...

I have been lucky. Mine have all lasted well passed warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts