Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so about 5 weeks ago the rig cut out mid driving going up a slight incline just a few hundred metres from home. Managed to get it off the road and cleared the error code(cant recall what it was as in a rush to move the car off a blind corner), started back up and nursed it home to park on the front yard. Went to start a few days later and nothing.... just cranks over but no kick. Checked ECUtalk and had error '76 P6-Spill Val' error. Cleared multiple times and this still comes back
Have tried all the usual clear codes, disconnect battery over night, primed the hand primer til rock hard, tried with lift pump on and off..... battery recharged to help crank but no go at all. Removed the IC tonight and cracked 1, 2, 3 injectors(No4 too hard to get to) to check if fuel is there when cranking.... basically only a tiny trickle from No1 and No2 and nothing from No3.... definitely not what I would expect if healthy. I have a video of it cranking showing the injectors but cant upload to here and not sure where to host it to link to.(its been years since I needed to add a video on a forum) IP is original and done about 320k
Am I right to assume worst case is now the IP is 100% the cause and dead??

Now, if my IP is marked with numbers 'Zexel 109342-4025' do I need to get one with exact same numbers or are there variations of this that will still match and work? Possibly may have one with 109342-4020(or 109342-4820)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,221 Posts
Ok, so about 5 weeks ago the rig cut out mid driving going up a slight incline just a few hundred metres from home. Managed to get it off the road and cleared the error code(cant recall what it was as in a rush to move the car off a blind corner), started back up and nursed it home to park on the front yard. Went to start a few days later and nothing.... just cranks over but no kick. Checked ECUtalk and had error '76 P6-Spill Val' error. Cleared multiple times and this still comes back
Have tried all the usual clear codes, disconnect battery over night, primed the hand primer til rock hard, tried with lift pump on and off..... battery recharged to help crank but no go at all. Removed the IC tonight and cracked 1, 2, 3 injectors(No4 too hard to get to) to check if fuel is there when cranking.... basically only a tiny trickle from No1 and No2 and nothing from No3.... definitely not what I would expect if healthy. I have a video of it cranking showing the injectors but cant upload to here and not sure where to host it to link to.(its been years since I needed to add a video on a forum) IP is original and done about 320k
Am I right to assume worst case is now the IP is 100% the cause and dead??

Now, if my IP is marked with numbers 'Zexel 109342-4025' do I need to get one with exact same numbers or are there variations of this that will still match and work? Possibly may have one with 109342-4020(or 109342-4820)
What is your ICV% reading at warm idle? That will give another clue. I would recommend contacting Diesel Central at Gracemere, that is where I bought mine, they can tell you everything about the zexel/Bosch units, they sent it down to me and when I sent my old one back they refunded the deposit.

·
Registered
nissan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your ICV% reading at warm idle? That will give another clue. I would recommend contacting Diesel Central at Gracemere, that is where I bought mine, they can tell you everything about the zexel/Bosch units, they sent it down to me and when I sent my old one back they refunded the deposit.
Thanks Ross.
Car will not start so cannot tell you ICV% but from memory it was at low 30's at some stage in the last 6mths. When ignition is on now(car not starting) ICV is showing 4%
Trying to get it up and running as cheap as possible as I won't be keeping the car and don't really want to invest 2.5k plus that I won't get back in resale.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,221 Posts
Thanks Ross.
Car will not start so cannot tell you ICV% but from memory it was at low 30's at some stage in the last 6mths. When ignition is on now(car not starting) ICV is showing 4%
Trying to get it up and running as cheap as possible as I won't be keeping the car and don't really want to invest 2.5k plus that I won't get back in resale.
If it was low 30's it's dead, I'm not sure there is a cheap way out, you could buy a second hand one from somewhere like Patrolapart, but it is still a massive job to do if your going to pay someone and you really won't know the condition of said pump. A lift pump generally raises ICV% by 3-4% and if lift pump can't force feed the IP then your in trouble. BTW 4% with ign on is a std number.
My ICV% had been slowly dropping for years and I put the fault of that at air ingestion issues many years ago wearing out internals.
You could try removing the plug from the top of the IP and cleaning the contacts, also it is not unheard of for the board to cook itself if very high fuel temps have been experienced over the years. another thing to try is to bleed the pump, crack the inlet banjo and turn on lift pump until fuel weeps from banjo, then crack the return line banjo and do the same. If you still have the IC off and after doing the previous, remove the GP's and crank to see if you get strong mist out of the GP holes, if still nothing it is definitely dead.

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,583 Posts
Not always the injection pump, have you tried the return valve on the pump?
Crack off the two banjo bolts off the pump and one of these has a little ballbearing in it to basically return fuel to the tank at a set pressure, they can fail and cause a no start. As they start to fail they keep returning fuel to the tank and eventually start drawing a little air.
Change that first and report back 😁👍
Worth a shot first...
These IP's are almost unbreakable, I had one go to almost 600k.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts