Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Is 13.5l-14l /100klm to much

3K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  geeyoutoo 
#1 · (Edited)
I've read a lot of posts on this site regarding fuel economy and all that stuff. I haven't owned my patrol long at all so am pretty new to the whole diesel CRD engine thing. I recently filled my main tank up and between a long trip to Warwick and round town stuff I have gotten around 650k off the main tank. I figure this to be around 13.5 to 14 l per 100klm. Is that excessive???. I do tend to tread heavy with my tight foot to?

Cheers
Daniel

#4 ·
I get a constant 14 to 14.5lt over the last 10k. I am happy with that considering the weight I am carrying and that my engine is still stock (at the moment)

#6 ·
On the long trip segments I notice that much better economy is achieved at 100km/hr compared to 110-115km/hr speed. (eg 11.5 L/100 km compared to 14.5 L/100 km)(this is fully loaded, 4 people all camping gear, frig etc etc) May not sound a great difference to some folks but if you put in several days at 600-700km per day then the $ s start to add up.

Cheers
Anthony

#14 ·
:rolleyes: We just went through all this tank size thing in the sub tank poll 95L main and either a 30 or 32L sub for Australian models only, conflicting documentation (the 30-32L number is what you get when the pump cuts out automatically).

#16 ·
Hi Guys
Switched the dub on when the red light came on Today. Klm were around 670 before. The dub filled main tank to just over 1/3 full. Does anyone know how many litres are left when light comes on. Ruck now has done 860 klm and still 1/4 main tank left.

Cheers
Daniel

#18 ·
subject

I'm watching this thread with much interest...mainly to work out the difference between the European and Aust spec Patrols. We don't have sub tanks over here and my handbook states my tank is 92 litres...filled to overflowing and driven until the needle hits the empty mark, it consistently takes 85 - 86 litres. (it has a warning light, but I've only ever gone down that far once).

Mine is only the 2.8 turbo version (2001), manual trans, with aircon (which is mostly on), so I do expect to get a better result than the bigger diesels. After an earlier disaster, I replaced the motor with a brand new one, straight from Nissan in Japan and it's travelled just under 10K kms now.

A test I just completed today showed that with around 600kms of highway driving, 5 adults and luggage at speeds up around 120 (limit here is 140 kph), about 250 kms of tarmac country roads (speed limit 90 kph) and the rest was off road, rough as guts, normal stuff, plus a very small amount of in town driving (less than 20 kms).
I've done this test a couple of times since fitting the new motor and the result has always been similar. Distances are checked via my Garmin, local EU road maps and the odometer...always the same result!

Distance travelled from totally full, to needle on the empty mark = 953 kms to 1024 kms.

How does that compare?

#21 ·
I'm watching this thread with much interest...mainly to work out the difference between the European and Aust spec Patrols. We don't have sub tanks over here and my handbook states my tank is 92 litres...filled to overflowing and driven until the needle hits the empty mark, it consistently takes 85 - 86 litres. (it has a warning light, but I've only ever gone down that far once).

Mine is only the 2.8 turbo version (2001), manual trans, with aircon (which is mostly on), so I do expect to get a better result than the bigger diesels. After an earlier disaster, I replaced the motor with a brand new one, straight from Nissan in Japan and it's travelled just under 10K kms now.

A test I just completed today showed that with around 600kms of highway driving, 5 adults and luggage at speeds up around 120 (limit here is 140 kph), about 250 kms of tarmac country roads (speed limit 90 kph) and the rest was off road, rough as guts, normal stuff, plus a very small amount of in town driving (less than 20 kms).
I've done this test a couple of times since fitting the new motor and the result has always been similar. Distances are checked via my Garmin, local EU road maps and the odometer...always the same result!

Distance travelled from totally full, to needle on the empty mark = 953 kms to 1024 kms.

How does that compare?
Data from a post in another thread, this is from my Nissan handbook:

Wagon/Hardtop - main tank = 95L.
Pickup - main tank = 90 or 95L* -------------------------- *for models with sub tank.
Wagon/Hardtop - sub tank = 40 or 32* ------- * for Australian models only.
Pickup - sub tank = 80L

#22 ·
Yeah, OK, I'm not going to split hairs about that because my handbook is written in hi-tech German (where I purchased her) and certain things might get lost in translation, but what I was asking about, initially, was how does 953-1024 kms for a fuel burn of between 85 and 86 litres compare? Obviously, I would still have between 9 and 10 litres left in the tank when I fill up.

I did a short trip today (just a bit over 275 kms), most over which was in very mountainous and winding conditions and the temp stayed around the 40 mark for the whole time. I topped right up before I left and when I parked up at home the needle was just a smidgeon above the three quarter mark....going on the last six years of driving (in the same vehicle), each quarter mark will return between 230 and 250 kms, until the needle hits the E mark. The engine temp sits about a needles width below half, with the occasional excursion to just above that mark. The temp mentioned above relates to the outside air temp, not the motor! The aircon was in use for the whole trip.

Back to my original question...how does this compare?

#25 ·
I 100% agree, considering no one pushes their car to the servo to fill, the 'tank' is not a full tank and 5-10L left in the tank can skew the end LPH figure quite a bit.

E.g. If you say you got 800km to a tank and that tank actually have 10L left in it because you only just got to empty on the needle, but not empty in the tank, then you used 70L, if you actually used the full tank then it would have been 80L.

70L/800km/100=8.75L/100km
80L/800km/100=10L/100km

Therefore the assumption of a tank is statistically invalid.

#31 ·
Like anything else it varies from vehicle to vehicle, so you can't count on a specific, but 5% would be a starting point, I have 265x75x16 and they give me a 1% negative error, it was a very very long time ago when I had the original 265x70x16 but I seem to remember 6% negative error then.

#35 ·
Mine is out the same amount when I put those tyres on also.
I found this out by using a gps to check on multiple occasions. So if anyone hasn't done the gps check you will probably be pleasantly surprised you've travelled further than you think :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

#36 · (Edited)
subject

I know my speedo/odo is out, so I use two and sometimes three Gps units on trips where I'm curious about fuel burn. With the speedo reading 110kph, all the GPS units say we are actually doing 102kph, but as I slow down, the difference decreases and at 80kph (speedo) the GPS's all seem to agree with that speed. I would have thought that the error would be constant, but happily I know that if I use the speedo as a reference and never drive over the posted limit, I can't be pinged for speeding.

Meant to add...coppers over here are pretty lax and will always allow for a 10% error before even stopping you. Out on the main motorways, the limit is 140kph but they ignore you until you go over 155! I wish I owned something that would go that fast (safely!)

#38 ·
Id be happy with 13-14lph. Mine was 14.8-15lph doen about 800km per week. now its blown out to 16.5-17lph but only doen 100km a week so still spending less than i was.

#39 ·
Just to clarify what I've been posting and maybe bring some answers to the table....my Patrol is a 2001, Y61, LWB, 7 seater, manual transmission, turbo, six cylinder, 2.8 litre diesel, rated at 128 HP.
Typical of the type that exist in Europe, mine came standard with a rear diff lock, suspension stabilizer, headlight leveling system, cold start module and air conditioning. You guys may have some or all of these features in your vehicles. What we don't have is a sub tank and there seems to be no option to get one!! Mine, of course, is a LHD, so any photos I have posted, are going to look a bit strange to you guys.

I blew the guts out of my motor because I was stupid and I put my hand up for that. A new, in the crate, motor was sourced from Japan and was duly fitted. While we were waiting for the engine to arrive, the turbo was overhauled, as was the power steering pump, alternator and aircon compressor.

Since fitting, this motor has NEVER been taken past 3000RPM (in any gear), always had its oil changed at around 5000kms..(due again on Tuesday). Nothing has been messed with, no blocking of the emissions thingies etc. TOTALLY standard!!

Drive it like you love it......not like you stole it! I'm happy to wait 12 seconds to get to 110kph because at the end of the year my fuel bill is gonna be MUCH less than yours!!

#40 ·
Has anyone noticed the odometer and the trip meter read differently.
I get a 100km difference per fill up of around 110L.

Going off my odometer I get about 13.8L/100km
I would be getting better according to my trip meter.

Zd30 on 275/70/16 road tyres
Removed roof racks which hasn't had that much of an impact so far.

#41 ·
Not on mine, I setup a spreadsheet for mine years ago where both trip A and cumulative are input and there has been no discrepancy so far. But, there is a difference between the % error on the speedo and the % error on the Odo, can't remember how much now as I established that years ago.

#42 ·
I sit on 100kmh indicated (about 93 real kmh) and since I replaced the rail relief valve I am getting some great fuel figures. On the highway I am getting around 9.5 to 10 lph consistantly. i never drive aroung town but will be going from Boulia to The Alice over the next few days and will get a chance to record some off road figures. Bearing in mind that my common rail ahs the aerodynamics of a house brick and weighs in at 3400kg fully loaded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.