Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of upgrading my GQ to a GU diesel. Can someone tell me why the 4.2L GU's hold their value so well? Why would I pay $27-29K for a 2003 model GU when I can buy a 2008 model CRDI for $3 grand more with less KM?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Because you are buying an old technology truck engine designed to last a looooooonngggg time and do llloooootttsssss of Ks, there are many examples with well in excess of 500,000 ks in patrols and many with in excess of a million in trucks. I dont think you will see many 3 litre engines doing these sort of Ks, and with the 4.2 they will do those ks with regular servicing and no mods.

Flame suit on!

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
Yes. . they are "that" good. ask somebody who has owned both. . . . or at least owned a zd30 and then driven a proper td42t in the bush.

Jase27 was out wheeling with me a few weeks ago, he owns a late model (series5-6??) gu wagon with a grenade, so thats what he is used to driving, i got him to have a go in my old GU 4.2turbo. . . stock gears, stock turbo, standard boost, and 37's, i jumped out on a hill to cut a tree out of the way, and got him to drive it.

couldn't wipe the smile off his face. . . i thought i was gonna have trouble getting it back off him.:D ill direct him to this thread so he can share his opinion.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 3l and 4.2l engine specs are almost the same. Do they drive the same? How do they feel? Will a 4.2l be good for touring still, towing a 1.5t camper?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
On a 6000k trip up through the Centre in September towing a Camper i was getting 17lt/100kms on the bitumen. I was in a group of 10 vehicles.

When i pulled up to the pump for diesel i pumped 6 lts less that the guy in the 3.0 beside me over exactly the same ground. The guy in the 4.8 used 45lts more!

YES they are THAT GOOD and yes they hold their value! ;-)

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
They are stupid old slow thirsty noisy heaps that should have been pulled from the production line when the GQ ceased to be built.

They can serve as excellent boat moorings but are usless for much else.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
td42's are IMO (and most other peoples) the best engine you can buy for touring Australia. . . craploads of parts everywhere, nothing to go wrong on them, modds are cheap, They tow A LOT better than any other patrol motor, (4.8 disqualified by fuel consumption) and they last a baazillion kms, they cope very well with heat, and cold, they are a completely different motor feel-wise, it feels like a small truck motor, its got guts from 1,000rpm and has full power just after 2,000rpm.

towing a camper loaded up, you can expect to see 2,000rpm before moving from a set of lights in a zd30 or rd28.

Go and drive both. . . note the WAY they develop power and torque, then remember you can get an extra 30-50% more power and relocate some of the torque in an rd28, you can get an extra 10-20% out of a zd30 but you need to spend money on it so that it doesn't explode(even then), in a td42t the sky is the limit. . . . its not uncommon to get 100-150% more power and 300% increase in torque without changing anything internally.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
They are stupid old slow thirsty noisy heaps that should have been pulled from the production line when the GQ ceased to be built.
Glad they didn't or I never would have been able to afford my GQ.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
x2. . . i would have just paid 40k for a stock standard GQ.:eek:
Well I would bag you for turning to the dark side anyway but I see, on another thread, that you are looking at buying the proper shaped off roading version of the Patrol too!

:D:D

·
Registered
nissan
82 Posts
just make sure u buy a turbod patrol

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
Hey there,

I bought my '99 GU series 1 with 2" lift and some engine work already done. Mainly 3" straight through exhaust, turbo upped to 12 pound, and a proper tune. The guy stated it was tuned for emissions, and I have not noted a puff of smoke under load at night, and it feels very gutsy.

I have also driven a GU4 3.0L (my brother-in-laws). I noticed that you had to slip the clutch alot to get going on a hill, and starting off in general. As already stated above need to keep it around 2000 from a standing start until the speed catches up. I don't doubt they are a great engine, hell they have to lump around the big ass of the patrol everyday, even before loading it, but it wasn't for me.

In low range, with the right gearing, it doesn't matter what engine you have so I discount this argument in any comparison.

Between driving a 3.0L and a 4.2L, I would say that I much prefer the 4.2 for better driveability. I love it's truck like feel too. It's a diesel, it's not meant to be smooth and quiet.

Another thing with quoted power and torque values, is that they generally are "peak" values. So if something says 113kw at 3000 rpm, does not mean it produces anywhere near that elsewhere in the Rev Range. Point being, the bigger heavier 4.2L may not produce as much peak power, but it produces more power and torque over the rest of the rev range, and it's a smoother torque curve, get's high early and maintains it over the range. If that makes sense.

The 4.2L may be old tech, but it is designed to last. The 3.0L is designed for the throw away society we are in today. Tuned to produce more power for it's size which shortens it's calculated life expectancy.

I bought the non-intercooled version as the intercooled version puts out the same figures as the non-intercooled. The Ti model was brought out at the same time as a lot of environmental equipment was added to the motor. The intercooler helps with the emissions and upped the power, where some of the environmental equipment sucked power. I plan to fit a W2A intercooler later on anyway, without the hinderance of power robbing equipment. And as I said it was tuned for emissions and produces less harmful emissions than a 3.0L.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
They are good as everyone has said. And then you read

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/looking-buying-crd-patrol-58826/

people are happy with their new 3L's. People with their forby's are very one eyed with is good, BUT it comes down to personal preference and what your after. To rely on what people say here about there cars and what to get would be a big mistake I believe. I have very different views on their driveability and performance than some people here, at the end of the day, no ones right.

Can someone tell me why the 4.2L GU's hold their value so well? Why would I pay $27-29K for a 2003 model GU when I can buy a 2008 model CRDI for $3 grand more with less KM?

Few reasons, one of which was the significantly higher initial price. Percentage depreciation isnt as different as people think. Secondly, not one single unit has rolled off the floor in 4-5 years. Demand has remained, supply has stopped.

It's a diesel, it's not meant to be smooth and quiet

In the 80's maybe, but in 2010 absolutely they should. The technology and know how is there. Drive any of the new audi, merc or even the 200 LC, they drive like electric motors. Sadly, of all manufactures in the world atm, nissan probably have the lowest spec, worst performing diesels in the last 10 years.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Personal preference

The main issues we all hear of is this,
People buy the 3.0L (cause on paper they look great)
Whack the ol 20 odd foot van on the back and of they go

Then woops BANG
It is a regular problem,cause its nearly a daily occurance (search theres heaps on here about them)

Small engine large car syndrome

Best logical tip for ya
Go drive a few ,when you find whats comfortable for you and suits your needs,in your budget buy that one
You have to live with the decision not anyone else

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
You have been on the forum since 2008 and are asking this question?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You have been on the forum since 2008 and are asking this question?
I've heard all the stories about the grenade but I wanted to know about the CRDI engine compared to TD42. Then the difference in the drive and feel of the two.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
The 3.0L is designed for the throw away society we are in today. Tuned to produce more power for it's size which shortens it's calculated life expectancy.
I would love to know how you came up with this theory?

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Create, As a long time owner of Patrols, 2 4.2 GQ's and my current 4.2T GU, I upgraded to the GU from the GQ ONLY because I wanted airbags. The running gear was all identical, what I was tooled up for, and what I was used to driving. I waned to drag my 1.7T caravan around the country with no fuss, so far last couple of years, 2 trips to WA, and one outback trip to Winton, with another in June/July 2011.

I have been very happy with the fuel economy - chase that all the time retired so gotta look after the dollars, havn't HAD to spend a cent on the patrol since I got it, but upgraded the springs, shocks and tyres and exhaust, got a new turbo to put on when I git a round tuit.

For touring, like you seem to be looking at, you couldn't go past it for comfort and reliability. I have found that on some hills with the van it is a bit underpowered, dont know how many times I would have liked a Duramax in it ;), but on the other side of the hill you forget about that and enjoy the cold air and the superior ride comfort and great visability and the country we live in.

I paid 28K for a 2000 GU 4.2t four years ago that had been around the continent once already, and thought I got a bargain, so by that measure that value you are looking at is about spot on for the 4.2 considering how rare they are becoming. I remember I paid 30K for my '88 GQ Na 4.2 DX poverty pack with 7K Km's, roof rack, side steps, alum bar, and 7x15 wide rims in 1988 and thought I got a bargain then ( they were 34K new for the DX poverty pack with no extras - Carmichael Ford Townsville prices)

There are plenty of CRD's about and I think that the old grenade days are pretty much gone with the new engines, but I still wouldn't trust them out in the boonies, from a reliability point of view, with my family on board.)

On the other hand my brother in law has a 2003 3l diesel and pulls his 3T plus 28' alum trailer sailer on a steel tri axle trailer, and I was really impressed with how it did the job, and remember thinking at the time, hell the 4.2 would be working its ring out getting this rig going, but I think he's in for a loud suprise down the track. But I wont say "told you so", cause I already have.

The only issue I think honestly bears looking at is the issue of temperature under load, the 4.2t is not real temp tolerant, the cooling system has to be in tip top shape. I know that I have driven the temp guage to the top of the pops numerous times, but about 30 seconds after the load comes off, the temps plummet back to normal, with seemingly no effect, but I know that the effect is cumulative, and a cure needs to be found.

I would think that an A2W intercooler coupled with the head mod cooling rails, cooler thermostat, maybe bigger radiator and a proper digital temp guage ( to do away with percieved overheating shown by a simple hot/cold guage) would be the best solution, but all that is a matter of dollars, not on hand at the moment.

I think that the 4.2 would be the right decision, unless you can get onto a GU with a 6.5 Chev V8 diesel for a reasonable price, they are marketed on the shelf right next to the bottles of rocking-horse chit.

This is just my honest appraisal of a reliable honest workhorse that will last a lifetime if you dont flog it to death.

cheers and good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone for your thoughts - its been most helpfull. I will go and try driving a TD42 and a CRDI.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.