Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 1989 gq td42 lwb off a chap, has a switzer turbo Ive done the 2'lift, 33'tyres etc and the more I work on it the more I more I love these 4x4 s. ( I have a spare 92 Maverick, for when theres nothing left to work on , on the Patrol )

What I haven't fixed is the ammount of space for the 6'4" driver !

Giving the seat more rear travel would be the obvious, but I find myself thinking about a GU, and I'm assuming they have more room , which I have yet to verify.

How mush better is the GU, as a 4x4, ?

Go easy on me :) , if you don't ask you don't find out!

cheers Greg

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have been thinking of the same thing, I too have a TD42 gq turbo with a lot of gear on it.And i own it.
Cant seem to swallow the $20 + G's for a GU for a bit more room and have to start the
mods again.I might have to soon as i have growing kids.
Is the room and comfort worth the money,thats the qustion.
At a thought i feel if your a weekend warrior with a trip or two a year go a GQ.
If you feel touring to WA via every other state then a GU would be better.
Kids play a role, If you dont have any it dont matter.If you do a GQ is fine untill they out grow the back seat.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Ian.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Without starting another 'Whats better(yawn )"thread

Best for u to go and check a few and drive a few and make your own decision

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been thinking of the same thing, I too have a TD42 gq turbo with a lot of gear on it.And i own it.
Cant seem to swallow the $20 + G's for a GU for a bit more room and have to start the
mods again.I might have to soon as i have growing kids.
Is the room and comfort worth the money,thats the qustion.
At a thought i feel if your a weekend warrior with a trip or two a year go a GQ.
If you feel touring to WA via every other state then a GU would be better.
Kids play a role, If you dont have any it dont matter.If you do a GQ is fine untill they out grow the back seat.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Ian.
Actually you hit the nail on the head with the Kids senario, I didn't test fit the kids in the back, and son at 6'1 and daught at 5'10 struggle. I rolled up the second row yesterday at had them test row 3 and they loved the leg room! I might stick some Limo tint on the back side windows yet.

I bought a brand spanking new v8 100 series, with the ifs 5 years ago, had it for a coulple of years, I'd rather have a paid for gq!

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
GU panels are weak and thin compared to GQ and damage **** loads easier. if your rough with it, keep the Q.. otherwise, take all teh gear off the Q and fit up to the U.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GU panels are weak and thin compared to GQ and damage **** loads easier. if your rough with it, keep the Q.. otherwise, take all teh gear off the Q and fit up to the U.
Wasn't aware ot that, I certainly want a capable truck but at the end of the day I don't want too much coin tied up, so I just need to focus less on the build and more on the trips and the company!
Cheers Greg

·
Registered
Nissan
314 Posts
just pm'd you greg.
i'd stay the GQ .. and panels bend real easy on the GQ's too! as you are aware of:eek:
only thing better on the GU is the bit stronger drivetrain (diffs&cv's) and it might be a bit more comfy but it's a lot of $$$ if you want the 4.2 TD!
if your sensible with your (offroad)driving you won't break a GQ's axles or cv's as they are still the strongest you'll find of any 4WD..
the Q's are reliable enough to go anywhere without having any dramas at all.

·
Registered
nissan
776 Posts
Well, it is alot more comfortable to jump a GU and hit things in it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm 6'4" also but I find the driver's room fine in my GQ. I have a problem with where my brake controller sits near my left knee and need to relocate it but it's only a problem when travelling.

The kids (10 and 12 yr old), on the other hand, have nearly grown out of the back seat and for a vehicle this size it is quite disappointing.

Other than back seat leg room, I love my GQ!!

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Depends too on how long you generally keep a vehicle, kids grow up, and move on quickly.

I'm 6'2" and manage alright, surely getting the seat travel modified would be a cheaper/better option.

Look to at other threads where peps are selling GU's and coming back to GQ's!

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depends too on how long you generally keep a vehicle, kids grow up, and move on quickly.

I'm 6'2" and manage alright, surely getting the seat travel modified would be a cheaper/better option.

Look to at other threads where peps are selling GU's and coming back to GQ's!

thanks for that, modding the seats is the way to go. I'll stop wondering, grass is greener thing. There definitly is a resurgence for the Gq going on.

I met a cattle farmer in Mildura a couple of months ago and he had bought his Ti brand new, he had done 500,000ks and couldn't speak highly enough of it, towed his boat, horse float, used it to tow the feed trailer and even used to help his cows give birth! Probably a special kind of snatch strap for that!:)
His friends had changes their vehicle four times in the times in the period he had had his, great for the cars dealers and consumerism, but nothing, in his opinion did the job better.

I was tempted to test his loyalty for a while there, and offer him some money for it, then he told me about the cow..birth thing ....yuk :)

Cheers Greg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts