Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday all i got an 06 gu dx ute with a steel bar made by Macs engineering in makay, the ute is from the mines. I want to hang a winch on it but nt sure if it is compatible, it has 4 bolt holes on the front of th bar and seems to have all the holes that a winch needs. i no its not a real good description but would any one like to take a guess?? Ill take some photos when i get a chance to help!

cheers sam

·
Registered
387 Posts
Contact Macs, ask them if it is and what sized winch it's rated for. If you're at all uncertain, get some cardboard, start cutting and folding to come up with a design and get a cradle fabbed up to bolt directly between the chassis rails. It might not sound like much on an engineering approach, but start looking up some winch cradles online and you'll soon get an idea of how simple commercial ones are and what materials they're made of. Just go up a size in plate thickness if you want some extra confidence. I've done this before with a Rangie alloy winch bar of unknown strength and it worked a treat. (Disclaimer though - I am an engineer and did do some calculations, but using the above approach for first cut design, then doing a stress analysis on it, I had WAY over engineered it!) The only problem you'll have is with airbags / crush cans - you cannot connect the cradle to the bar (or have it sitting too close behind the bar) or it will interfere with the airbag operation (ie deploy them on a low speed hit where the crush cans should have prevented them deploying).

·
Registered
387 Posts
Here are some pics.

A custom winch cradle was required as it was to suit a high clearance Rangie bar fitted to a Disco.

For an airbag vehicle, make sure it sits closer back to the chassis (nothing protruding forward of the rear of the crush cans) and you should be able to avoid any legal issues.

Take the opportunity to integrate some solid recovery points too!

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
I should have mentioned - that sucker was made of 10mm plate with 6mm gussets. Some commercial ones are 6mm all-over...

·
Registered
nissan
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers lads it does have the hole where the fair lead bolts up! Cheers Duke ill ring them and see if they know anything about it!!

Cheers sam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts