Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard in the early GU's 98-00 they rust around the windscreen is this true?
If it is i am starting to wonder should i get mine checked out before it falls apart?

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
I know a few people with 98-00 Patrols and no one has had issues with rust.

·
Registered
nissan gu3 2001
349 Posts
I had my windscreen replaced recently, and asked the bloke who fitted it that question.He said it was starting to rust on the top edge around the middle but wasnt that bad. wish he told me that before he stuck it back in. mines a 2/01 model

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
I had my windscreen replaced recently, and asked the bloke who fitted it that question.He said it was starting to rust on the top edge around the middle but wasnt that bad. wish he told me that before he stuck it back in. mines a 2/01 model
How many windscreens have you had replaced?

·
Registered
nissan gu3 2001
349 Posts
I have only replaced it once, compliments of an arseh--le that thought it might be fun to throw a brick through it. In saying that the windscreen seal had lifted and distorted on top passenger side near snorkle. it may have be an entry point for rain

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i will let you guys know about mine later mine is going on for a windscreen end of the week and new seals. If its bad i guess theres more money to spend to fix the car.
Wife is getting abit p!ssed that the car is costing more and more money everytime i put it in somewhere.
Might have to sell the thing if she gets her way

·
Registered
nissan patrol
587 Posts
Not a spot of rust on mine, as jamfox said, ****ty/unstuck seals are an entry point for rain/dirt/mud/badstuff, aslong as they've been sealed properly they should be fine

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Mines a 2000 and no sign of rust anywhere, it has done a lot of beachwork but gets a good soaking after, so they are pretty tough.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
yes! this is common. not just patrols though.

GUs tend to rust around their seals. Either the rubber rubs the paint away and exposes bear metal or the seal design holds water behind it.

Another common rust place for the GU is the radiator panel in the front end around the bodymounts and also the cavity between the firewall and windscreen.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Common problem on all model patrols

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
98 model here, not a spot of rust around windscreen. A few freckles on the roof though

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Just remembered, a mate has a 2003 which has rust stains under the gutter on almost every spot weld, and it is remaining static, I have not seen this before, can anyone comment on how common this is? To his knowledge it has not been in a prang.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
Just remembered, a mate has a 2003 which has rust stains under the gutter on almost every spot weld, and it is remaining static, I have not seen this before, can anyone comment on how common this is? To his knowledge it has not been in a prang.
Some patrols were graced with VERY thin paintwork in places. Isn't just Patrols though, is a common issue on vehicles where there's lots of surface changes.

·
Registered
nissan 99gu patrol ute st
865 Posts
Some patrols were graced with VERY thin paintwork in places. Isn't just Patrols though, is a common issue on vehicles where there's lots of surface changes.
Yeah, spot on Yom. My 99 ute is looking a bit thin on the roof where the ribs run along from the front to the back & the underside looks like it only got one very thin coat of paint.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,742 Posts
Well, I just found rust around my windscreen yesterday:( Was out driving & went through some rain & the water started to run in at the top of the drivers side of the windscreen. Just been out to check in the daylight to see how bad it is. It looks like it is only one small spot on the top of the front pillar. I want to check from the inside & need to know how to get the pillar trim off. I have removed the grab handle, so now does it just pull off, or is there a trick to it?
Now I have to decide if I should get it fixed properly by a panelbeater, with the windscreen out or clean it out as best I can with the screen in, put some rust converter on it & then seal it with silicon. :cheers:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got my windscreen done the other day, Just so happens that i had a little bit of surface rust around it. No biggy a steel brush and a little bit of primer to seal it and hopefully bobs ya uncle.

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,555 Posts
Well this is a GQ and not a GU, but this is an example of what can happen if the windscreen seal aint too good and water is allowed to sit under it over time...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts