Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well , last night I fitted the cav diesel filter that I had lying around and was gonna do months ago, and that went well.

So while i was on a roll , i thought I'd fit the Pro vent200 thats only been lying around for a month.

i had rang a turbo mod a while back and asked if i could tap into the turbo oil return line and pumb the oil thats caught into it. the response was yes.

So i hooked up the breather line in , and the filtered air out to the air filter box and connected the oil condensate oil line to the turbo oil return line.

In hind sight i should have taken the provent filter out and checked to see if oil came back up the oil condensate line.

So what happened was, feeling very proud of myself I dropped the bonnet, and drove home , about a kilometer. Nearly home i noticed it coughing and farting, pulled up in a cloud of smoke , shut it down quick.

So whats happened, is oil from the turbo return line has come up into the provent and gone out the filtered air line into the air box , into the turbo and over into the intake manifold into the engine

So how much oil? Well prior to fitting the pro vent the oil level was up to the top of the dip stick and now it doesn't register on the dip stick!

So i'm in the process of cleaning all the oil of the pipes turbo etc .l

Wondering what else i should do before attempting to turn it over.

Hoping i've got nine lives and I havent stuffed it all......

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,634 Posts
You are supposed to fit a 1 way valve in the line dude. (just stating the obvious. lol)

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
take glow plugs out and crank it over with rags covering the holes to catch any oil that might be in the cylinder. also if you do it,watch out,it sprays pretty hard :)

Thanks Oilrig, did as you suggested, all good.

Me and the my lad spent four hours stripping every thing down and cleaning all the oil out and rebuilding. Had never removed glow plugs before, so something new.

Shes idling nice and smooth so fingers crossed I didn't do any damage.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are supposed to fit a 1 way valve in the line dude. (just stating the obvious. lol)

I had a choice of weather to buy the complete kit or just the pro vent bit .

Went with just the pro vent bit to same money , it came with no instructions, in hind sight I should have checked more.

Currently have a tee valve so draining the pro vent is manual currently.

Will get hold of western Filters and if they have a one way valve.

will take her for a run shortly and see how she goes.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
405 Posts
So how much oil? Well prior to fitting the pro vent the oil level was up to the top of the dip stick and now it doesn't register on the dip stick!

um fill it with oil again :doh:

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good to hear she is running ok, did any oil come out of the cylinders ?

Not that I noticed any on the rag that I out over the top.

The intake manifold manifold had a good coating of oil though!

Pulled the turbo compressor side off and poured out 100ml of oil !

Anyway, any time spent under the bonnet is fun , providing the lessons aren't too expensive.

Took it for a drive, smoked for a bit but has cleared up now.

Phew...

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

um fill it with oil again :doh:
Good onya buddy, :)

I knew a lung full of oil would do the same as a lung full of water , so the prospect of hydrualicing her was floating around in my head.

If it was a petrol then I would have taken the spark plugs out . I was tossing up between injectors and the glow plugs , so at the risk of getting laughed at I thought I'd fess up to what I 'd done and get some advice.

the fact that there wasn't any oil registering on the dip stick meant there was between two and nine litres in the intake system!

Any way it took a litre to get it back on the dip stick , I've got her back to my work shop , and now shes getting an oil change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts