Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. As the title states, is it worth doing? I only have a small amount of damage to the left quarter, can barely notice it. I am considering a rear bar with wheel carrier etc, but cant decide if I should leave the quarters alone? Opinions?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I think it depends on two things. Firstly, do you do a lot of hardcore off-roading where you are regularly crunching the rear quarters? And secondly, do you like the look of a chopped wagon?
If you answered yes to either of those, then sure, it’s worth it.
If either answer is no, then maybe you shouldn’t bother.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Every dog has his day
18,158 Posts
I think it’s well worth it, my rear bar was made to suit chopped quarters, and it makes a huge improvement to the departure angle and minimizes chance of damage in that area. Not a particularly big job, good bang for buck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, all valid points. It would also seem that there are more options for rear bars if I do the chop.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree, I think it's worth it I was always in two minds about mine but after bumping them a couple times and developing some rust I bit the bullet, grabbed the welder and spent a Saturday to do it, and very glad I did, looks better and as you say gives some good options for bars whether you are buying or going to make your own rear bar like I did. I put drain bungs in mine too, something to consider if you are going to do it.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I also couldn’t decide wether or not to do it and ended up deciding against it. Now that my quarters are smashed up I wish I had done it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yep same as others with my GQs. Couldn't decide the first one i owned. Then smashed one and just chopped them after that. I ended up opening the wheel arches more for tyres clearance at the same time. I did it to 2 more GQs i owned after that. I could do the rear quarter chop and open out the back of all 4 wheel arches in a day and all fully seal welded then would just get a mate to paint it for me properly. It was cheap enough and allowed clearance for big tyres on a small lift and a decent rear bar.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yep same as others with my GQs. Couldn't decide the first one i owned. Then smashed one and just chopped them after that. I ended up opening the wheel arches more for tyres clearance at the same time. I did it to 2 more GQs i owned after that. I could do the rear quarter chop and open out the back of all 4 wheel arches in a day and all fully seal welded then would just get a mate to paint it for me properly. It was cheap enough and allowed clearance for big tyres on a small lift and a decent rear bar.
Got any pics of this?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Got any pics of this?
Dont think i do sorry ,The first 2 where before i even owned a digital camera haha. If your after the ones or the guard chops its fairly straight forward. I would leave the front and top horizontal sections factory and then trim the rear radius out to the factory fold /lip on the guard and then re weld a new inward facing flange back in to retain the strength and give it somewhere to fix the factory extended flares to. For the front tou would then use 2 sets of flares grafted together to make 1 set that where about 30mm longer . Plastice welded and smoother of with an aluminum backing to stiffen it up a little. The same was basically done to the rear. The rear i would cut all the way back to where the inner wheel arch skin met the body panel. I was able to get it 95% right on a metal finish with just a very light skim of bog. Most people wouldn't pick it what was done to the wheel arches. The rear quarter chop was cut cut the same as the thousands of others and a full patch welded into place.
I'm a sheety by trade. Not a panel beater. So i would get it as good as i could and then pass it of to a painter. The last one i did was a SWB and when it was spayed i had the front and rear quarters plus both doors re sprayed for $500 from memory with myself doing all the prep work (color was white so it was an easy job for him. When I'm near my pc ill see if i can fine any photos of the finished product on the last one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts