Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm planning on having a DTS kit fitted to my 88 GQ Safari in a few months time.
I currently have a 2.5" sports exhaust fitted. But its going to cost an extra $1000 to upgrade to a 3" exhaust.

I know that it will be a benefit and help spool up rates etc, but is it $1000 worth of benefit?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
nissan patrol ute gq
235 Posts
i did my own 3in exhaust using some left over exhaust from a mates and a few ellbows from the exhaust shop proly cost under $100, i couldnt justify the 1000$ price tag so i diy'd it haha

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
I have heard the argument that if the system has no back pressure in a 2.5 inch system, then why would a 3 inch system with no back pressure be am improvement.:confused:

I also have a 2.5 inch system , unfortunately not mandrel bent. To get the most out of the turbo , i'm going to do an intercooler first. And having read the posts above about doing diy i'm going to research that before rushing out to pay retail!

Cheers Greg

·
Registered
nissan patrol
893 Posts
I have heard the argument that if the system has no back pressure in a 2.5 inch system, then why would a 3 inch system with no back pressure be am improvement.:confused:
Think ur getting mixed up with turbo non turbo cars mate with a turbo back pressure isnt so much of an issue

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
what i can add to this topic is as follows
I have 2 x GQ ute's both TD42+T engines

the first is a
High mounted turbo glide kit with full 3" intake bar the cross over pipe Donaldson air box and true 3" exhaust from the turbo back (mandrel bent no muffler)
14psi no cooler

second is a custom low mount which has my own style of modified factory GU turbo
2.5 " with muffler and GU zd30 air box

8psi no cooler

the second one is way lighter 4wd than the first as the first has a full steel heavy duty tray with hydraulic tipper

and the second has light weight steel tray with wooden floor

and yet the first still by far out performs the second

so take it which ever way you want eg higher boost = more power regardless of it being at least 1/2 a ton heavier, or there is a significant difference between getting air in and out quicker

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Metthams Exhaust Midland. I fitted the DTS kit. they did the exhaust from there back in 3 inch mandrel belt for UNDER $500.

Backpressure is bad, always. I run a 3 inch straight through mandrel bent system with 20 psi of boost and I gained 4psi at 3000 rpm when the flange next to the gearbox fell apart.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
Mate the DTS kit comes with the dump pie but the DTS dump pipe is not a cast item but rather an exhaust bent tube with a flange. This bit of dump with the kit goes from the back of the Turbo to directly under the passenger seat in ONE PEICE.

I went the DTS pipe to the back, Work of art mate, Mandrel bent all the way with a Turbo muffler included (Big bucks there). You would be better off lining up a decent exhaust shop to make a cut and shut from the back of the DTS system after it is fitted and it will cost you around the $500 mark.

I am going to Remove the Turbo Muffler and keep it as a spare for my GU when it goes and just run a straight through on the GQ, just have not got around to it yet.

Cheers mate, go the 3" ALWAYS

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
muffler, who the fck bothers with those things???? Although on these low revving tractor motors Id want to keep thier harshness contained.

Mate go the biggest you can fit behind the turbo. My crazy mate with a 32psi GT35'd 4.2 has started putting a 4" in cause the 3" was causing restriction ;)

·
Registered
nissan
258 Posts
Mate go the biggest you can fit behind the turbo. My crazy mate with a 32psi GT35'd 4.2 has started putting a 4" in cause the 3" was causing restriction ;)

bloody hell 32psi the cummins engines i work on put out that much making 600hp on the truck dyno thats crazy **** on a TD42 :cool::D

·
Registered
Nissan
527 Posts
The 3 inch system will make a big difference as long as it includes the Dump pipe otherwise your wasting your time.

Turbo will spool up alittle earlier & the engine revs should fall quicker when you get off the go pedal.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies. ok so ill definitely head for 3" then.

Bunbury Fuel Injection do both Safari Turbo Kits, and DTS Turbo Kits. The Safari actually comes with a 3" as part of it the fitted price of $4900 all up. so ill get more exhaust quotes for the DTS

DTS Fitted $4100 bolted to existing 2.5"

They both run the TD05 turbo, but ive just heard more better stuff about DTS.

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts

Bunbury Fuel Injection do both Safari Turbo Kits, and DTS Turbo Kits. The Safari actually comes with a 3" as part of it the fitted price of $4900 all up. so ill get more exhaust quotes for the DTS

Thanks

Jeff
I did some research into DTS kits for my GQ a few months ago. Just for interest sake I emailed Vic, WA and QLD branches of MTQ. The price for the same thing varied significantly depending on which state you bought you kit from. QLD were the cheapest - here's an extract from the email:

Hi Dylan
Thanks for your enquiry.
Price for a kit in a box $3238.00 including GST
Price for a 3" full exhaust $660. Including GST
Plus freight ex Toowoomba with the courier of your choice
Fitting $495 Including GST

Special price fitted by us in our workshop $4250.00 Including GST

Best Regards

Garry Peel
Branch Manager
MTQ Engine Systems
4/398 Taylor Street
Toowoomba Q 4350
Ph 07 46331355 Fax 07 46331546

So, if you can make the same deal with MTQ in Perth you won't even need to worry about chasing down a cheap 3 inch system.

Hope that helps.
Regards,
Dylan

·
Registered
1,677 Posts

Thanks

Jeff
maybe shop around a little

Turbo-Glide: Nissan Patrol GQ Turbo Kit fitted

·
Registered
nissan gq
90 Posts
down side too less back pressure would be less engine breaking? correct me if im wrong but certain its correct.
bigger exhaust (higher flow) turbo spool quicker gases exit engine faster, less engine breaking
there is always a point where bigger is not necessarily better as well. 3" with turbo muffler would be as free flowing as you would want.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts