Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I’ve just replaced my auto hubs with AVM HP manuals and in the process of checking they function correctly, I think I’ve discovered a bigger problem. I’ve performed the following checks with both front wheels jacked up, but I’m not getting the behaviour that I expect.

1. 2wd no hubs locked = expected behaviour. Both wheels spin freely with no tailshaft rotation.
  2. 2wd one hub locked = no tailshaft rotation (unexpected).
  3. 2wd both hubs locked = tailshaft rotation but no opposite wheel rotation in reverse direction (unexpected).
  4. 4wd both hubs locked = no tailshaft rotation but opposite wheel rotation in reverse direction (definitely unexpected).

I think I’ve proven that both hubs are in fact locked and that both front axles are ok with check 4, but given when its in 4wd with both hubs locked, nothing should move I think I’ve got a bigger problem.

Does anyone else conclude that my front diff is stuffed or have I overlooked something? Car is an 08 GU wagon manual.

Cheers
Craig

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
Hi All,
I’ve just replaced my auto hubs with AVM HP manuals and in the process of checking they function correctly, I think I’ve discovered a bigger problem. I’ve performed the following checks with both front wheels jacked up, but I’m not getting the behaviour that I expect.

1. 2wd no hubs locked = expected behaviour. Both wheels spin freely with no tailshaft rotation.
  2. 2wd one hub locked = no tailshaft rotation (unexpected).
  3. 2wd both hubs locked = tailshaft rotation but no opposite wheel rotation in reverse direction (unexpected).
  4. 4wd both hubs locked = no tailshaft rotation but opposite wheel rotation in reverse direction (definitely unexpected).

I think I’ve proven that both hubs are in fact locked and that both front axles are ok with check 4, but given when its in 4wd with both hubs locked, nothing should move I think I’ve got a bigger problem.

Does anyone else conclude that my front diff is stuffed or have I overlooked something? Car is an 08 GU wagon manual.

Cheers
Craig
1. Thats good
2. Thats good
3. Thats good
4. Thats good

·
Registered
nissan
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou!!
I feel like a right tool but I was sure that when both hubs were locked in 2wd one side should spin the other and when in 4wd it should all be locked up solid.

Sometimes it is nice to be wrong!

Cheers
Craig

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Not many people will bash you for being wrong around here mate if your honest about it. There's a saying around here in this scenario. You've been educated. Nothing wrong with that. I'm constantly getting educated. ;) How else does one learn.

·
Registered
nissan
181 Posts
Just done same trick in my ol girl all works fine but seem to have alot of slack from tailshaft to wheels, as in if i turn tailshaft i have to turn it at least 30+mm before pressure is on shaft and starts turning anything. Not sure of allowable slack but i have heard 1/8 a turn is acceptable??? TIA guys and sorry for adding onto your post Craig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts