Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many ZD30 DI owners, who have 2 3/4" or bigger exhausts with high flow cat, still have the heat shield on? was told today it was OK to leave it off with the bigger pipes, getting mine done Monday so would appreciate feedback.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Looking forward to hearing the answer to this one too :)

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
Are you talking bout the sheild above the cat? If so just remove it, it was a "nice to have" from nissan possibly knocking off a few degrees of (NVH) noise vibe harshness which all manufacturers strive for now. Does piss all in real terms exept catch mud and crud and rust out your floor pan. I pulled out every floor mounted shield when I fabbed up my exhaust, meant I could run bigger mufflers and had more room to weld my pipes insitu.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Reakon he might have been referring to the heat gaurd above the turbo / cat but its good to hear you dont need those other ones underneath too..
I heard somewhere that people coat the dump/cat with something that helps..

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Talking about the heat shield that covers the top of the dump pipe and part of the Turbo.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My gut feel would be leave it on. It does fit back on, or at least mine did with a Beaudesert exhaust.
The main thing I would be worried about is if you have a dual battery, it is mounted close to the turbo, and any sheilding against the super hot turbo would be a good thing.
Just my thoughts.

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,613 Posts
I left/refitted mine, less radiant heat coming towards intercooler and other parts in the engine bay the better, at one stage I was considering turbo blanket as well but the cost and complexity to avoid interfering with variable geometry control was the show stopper.
I still wrapped the 3" dump pipe with heat wraps as well. Less noise and heat, I like it that way. My ears are still ringing from driving 600 hp 7" vertical straight through exhaust stack equiped prime mover from Brisie to Adelaide. It was sort of cool for first couple of 100s kays but after a while it got really annoying. Cheers

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
I have a 3" Scott Rods Hi Flo system on my 2008. Leave it on as it is a heat shield for bonnet paint along with other things.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My original intention was to put it back on, but seeing as I had heard this from an informed person I thought it was worth the question, so far no takers on the leave it off side.

Pity they can (on a bad day) be such a pain in the arse to replace.

·
Registered
nissan
546 Posts
when I had the 3inch system installed we trimmed the guard up a bit to make it easier next time for access. still about 70% left mainly the very top bit.
Yeah arent they a pain in the ass to get out, took us longer to get that out than the rest of the exhaust!!
Zappa

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Yeah arent they a pain in the ass to get out, took us longer to get that out than the rest of the exhaust!!
Zappa
Next time you have it off cut it 1/2 so then comes off in 2 pieces. alot easier.

I currently have 1/2 the shield on.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Next time you have it off cut it 1/2 so then comes off in 2 pieces. alot easier.

I currently have 1/2 the shield on.
G'Day Shane,

Good point, where ab-out's did you actually cut yours, I'll get the exhaust fitted without it and then play with damn thing when I get back home.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
G'Day Shane,

Good point, where ab-out's did you actually cut yours, I'll get the exhaust fitted without it and then play with damn thing when I get back home.
Ill take a photo of the 1/2 that is not on but has been cut from left to right or reverse if like, Iit is where the bolt is in the middle.. photo will help, will attach photos in the morniing

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Ill take a photo of the 1/2 that is not on but has been cut from left to right or reverse if like, Iit is where the bolt is in the middle.. photo will help, will attach photos in the morniing

Photos now attached- Hope this helps

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Shane,

Thanks for the photo's Mate, was able to modify but keep the basic shape, it now pops in and out with ease.

How are you getting on, send me a PM.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Heya Shane, hope your getting better,

Hey, what did you use to cut it? Angle grinder or something? If i recall its a fairly thick bit of steel?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Dronus

Yeah used an angle grinder with the thin blade, I had no idea what I was doing just did it, it is actually 2 sheets of metal to make the thickness. I need to modify a little for the probe and then will put that part back on.

Yeah doing ok, not many people can say they got liquid drugs on their birthday and for next 3 days. :cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts