Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Chev 6.5 litre V8: no substitute for cubic inches
nissan patrol
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to work out whether to get Konis or Bilsteins for the Patrol....current Dobinsons (front) and Boss adjustables (rear) are getting a bit sad.

I've found a bloke on ebay who has quoted me $775- + $25- P&H for 4 Bilsteins to suit my 4" lift.

Does this sound like a decent price? Internet shopping for Konis and/or Bilsteins seems to be abit hit and miss......prices seem to be scarce.

·
Registered
nissan
1,089 Posts
I've been trying to work out whether to get Konis or Bilsteins for the Patrol....current Dobinsons (front) and Boss adjustables (rear) are getting a bit sad.

I've found a bloke on ebay who has quoted me $775- + $25- P&H for 4 Bilsteins to suit my 4" lift.

Does this sound like a decent price? Internet shopping for Konis and/or Bilsteins seems to be abit hit and miss......prices seem to be scarce.
That is a good price.
Just make sure the Bilsteins are really for a 4" lift
rear extended should be about 730mm give or take a bit
Front extended should be about 570mm
Cheers

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Internet shopping for Konis and/or Bilsteins seems to be abit hit and miss......prices seem to be scarce.
Blokes on Myswag are into it on their Discos... Do I really need a heavy duty shock? Sounds cheap, NFI on Discos

If I could find Koni 90 series part #'s to suit mine, I'd buy em from USA in a blink. :( I think if you have part #'s you cant go wrong from USA.

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
Just ordered a set of Bilsteins for my LandRover 90 (I know, I know :rolleyes:), $518 AUD delivered. Should be here next week. Got them from eshocks in the US.
I was originally looking for Old Man Emu Springs and Shocks. Was quoted $863 for the front and $592 for the rear, fitting not included. I could buy the same kit for $806 USD from the states!!
I thought OME stuff was made in Australia so, how come it's almost twice the price as the same stuff from the states? That's why I ended up going over there to order, better product and a cheaper price. They are actually cheper than buying a set of ProComps over here!!
Will get Dobinson springs from Australia though as shipping costs an arm and a leg for heavy stuff.

HTH

Ivan

·
nissan patrol
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks blokes!! I will check what length this bloke is going to provide for that price....

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Roachie said:

What model Bilsteins? They are my other option.

Also try UK over USA for suppliers - they have patrols, and have them listed on their websites! On the 90's I can save close to $750 on a complete set out of UK compared to Aussie importers..

·
nissan patrol
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're just the standard basic Bilsteins I reckon (blue and yellow), but am waiting on confirmation of the extended length of them before parting with my cash.

·
Registered
nissan
11,208 Posts
take it as gospel but ive heard the bilsteins tend to have a fairly small shaft and especially on a heavy valved and loaded shock can snap. have heard of a few going like this.
and roachie we all know your truck isnt on the light side of things haha. just something to make sure of anyway.
couldnt tell ya about the konis though.

·
nissan patrol
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh well, might be too late now...I've ordered them from here in Aust for $800- delivered.

I've never heard a bad word spoken about Bilsteins (until BeNos , above!!! DAMN!!!!) hahaha

·
Registered
nissan
11,208 Posts
haha sorry to be the bearer of bad news. and i know it doesnt happen often but i have heard of a few reports over the years.
all should be good for ya. i know you dont flog around like us younger "hoons" haha
but still a dam good price.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
take it as gospel but ive heard the bilsteins tend to have a fairly small shaft
Their shaft size is not relevant, they have a higher quality shaft compared to inferior brands which allows for a larger gas/oil capacity within the shock for cooling.

Snapping the ends off the shaft will be another issue which is not related to the shaft size.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
That is a good price.
Just make sure the Bilsteins are really for a 4" lift
rear extended should be about 730mm give or take a bit
Front extended should be about 570mm
Cheers
Is this from base of the pin to base of the pin for the fronts?
& from centre of eye to centre of eye for the rears? Just interested mate.

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
get the correct part numbers etc, and buy them strait from america, less worry

·
Registered
Nissan
314 Posts
hmmm. bit iffy comin from the USA.. being a german made shock..
they might be build in mexico..
not a fan of monotube shocks for an outback tourer.
KONI has a much bigger range of shocks, can be build to personal preference, fully adjustable, rebuildable and wil outlast anything!!
not that bilstein is not a good shock RAOCHIE but looks like your an outback traveler lookin at your avatar...
make sure you put some protective shielding on those back ones!

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Just fitted my bilsteins today that I purchased from Summit Racing in the USA, they are stamped made in germany on the tube. Ordered 5 days ago delivered today for the grand total of $478. The fronts were exactly the same length as the OME shocks that came off, the rears were about 30mm shorter but the extended lenght from the pin to the eye was about 100mm. (GQ patrol 2" lift.)

·
Registered
Nissan
797 Posts
Just fitted my bilsteins today that I purchased from Summit Racing in the USA, they are stamped made in germany on the tube. Ordered 5 days ago delivered today for the grand total of $478. The fronts were exactly the same length as the OME shocks that came off, the rears were about 30mm shorter but the extended lenght from the pin to the eye was about 100mm. (GQ patrol 2" lift.)
Part numbers?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts