Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell whether these pics are of a fridge socket and if so, what brand of fridge/s would it suit? I found it in my recently purchased GU. **sorry for the poor quality images**

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
That's a Fridge Socket for an Engel Fridge, Mate.

The Engels have a two piece plug... if you unscrew the "normal" ciggy plug adapter then that is the plug configuration you will see.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Commonly known as a Merit style plug and socket. Usually rated for higher amps and a better contact and grip compared to normal accessory sockets.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Commonly known as a Merit style plug and socket. Usually rated for higher amps and a better contact and grip compared to normal accessory sockets.
Hiya Sudso... Nah mate... the dodgy pic has tricked ya

It's an Engel fridge socket I reckon as you can see the locating lug at 12 o'clock. Merit's don't have them
Engel Fridge Socket 15amp

This is a merit plug/socket (or at least here in WA) :p
Merit Type Plugs & Sockets - Products - Narva

I have an Engel Plug and a Merit side by side in the back of my GU and prefer the Merit Style normally but use both when I have the two Engels on board

·
8,549 Posts
Hiya Sudso... Nah mate... the dodgy pic has tricked ya

It's an Engel fridge socket I reckon as you can see the locating lug at 12 o'clock. Merit's don't have them
Engel Fridge Socket 15amp

This is a merit plug/socket (or at least here in WA) :p
Merit Type Plugs & Sockets - Products - Narva

I have an Engel Plug and a Merit side by side in the back of my GU and prefer the Merit Style normally but use both when I have the two Engels on board

Yeah I could see that.
I mentioned the merit style for others benefit although it sounded like I was talking about the engel :confused:.
BTW the 12V socket and plug on my 80lt Engel (last years model) is different to yours though, it has a h/d ciggy plug with a thermal fuse and a 3 pin plug that goes into the fridge.

Cheers

·
Registered
561 Posts
BTW the 12V socket and plug on my 80lt Engel (last years model) is different to yours though, it has a h/d ciggy plug with a thermal fuse and a 3 pin plug that goes into the fridge.

Cheers
Mine had the same but you can unscrew it & expose the "Engel" type plug under it.

·
8,549 Posts
Mine had the same but you can unscrew it & expose the "Engel" type plug under it.
I never even bothered to look. I will now lol.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
I never even bothered to look. I will now lol.
Hehehehe... must admit I had been using Engels for quite some years before I realised the front 1/3rd 'ciggy plug' came off and revealed an 'Engel' style two pole plug when you unscrewed the backshell.

It explained why there is those two placcy lugs in the cable immediately behind the plug as they hold the backshell in place if you are using the Engel style socket

Not saying the 80's use the same lead but my brand new placcy 40 uses the same lead as the 15 year old steel Engels at work... bet that factory tooling has paid for itself by now :D:D:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts