Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'03 4.8L 5 speed semi-auto, extractors, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's. The rest is bog stock.

·
Registered
nissan
526 Posts
If I'm reading this right which I have no idea if I am but your torque is huge!!! Over 600nm??? WTF!

·
Registered
nissan
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not flywheel figures. once you calculate gearing/ratios the torque at the wheels changes significantly.

seems about normal??
Right, those figures are at the wheels. As far as I know, you're meant to lose power through the driveline, meaning those figures would be higher at the flywheel.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
426 Posts
Not sure about the torque but the power figure was around the same as my GU which is setup much the same.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Right, those figures are at the wheels. As far as I know, you're meant to lose power through the driveline, meaning those figures would be higher at the flywheel.
You loose power when comparing flywheel kilowatts to rear wheel kilowatts, but torque is multiplied through many things on its way to the wheels, and is higher at the wheels than the flywheel. The torque converter (if auto), gearbox, diff, and diameter of the tyre all change the final figures.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
315 Posts
auto's suck a bit of power but i wouldn't have expected that much, i'm guessing because it was in 3rd gear the converter wasn't locked up so that will have something to do with it too

·
Registered
nissan patrol
449 Posts
So in a nut shell, does Skindogs 4.8 produce 700nm of torque?

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
^^no, that would be nearly 1000 at the engine. The result seems a bit low (on a DD anyway). Most 210kw cars are putting down around 160kw atw. But its all meaningless as the ramp rates vary the result substantially (especially with non-4wd) and 4th gear would be the norm.
You can get the graph to put out any numbes you want pretty much, depending on the setup.

FYI, a SR20det, makes around 150kw and puts down 120kw on the rollers. - 2wd
An ej20T (non-sti) is 160kw and translates to 95ish kw - 4wd; that the difference with an extra diff

·
Registered
nissan
64 Posts
It says on your sheet that it was tested in 3rd gear which is the wrong gear. 4th would be the right gear to test in(on this auto) as you get a direct drive ratio of 1:1 straight thru the trans so thats possibly y your torque reading is out

i have posted a image of mine altho it doesnt have torque it has power and afr's and was done in 4th gear mods r a bit more then yours to ecu and 3' exhaust and the throttle body mod

hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
^^no, that would be nearly 1000 at the engine.

so your telling us 700Nm of torque at the wheels would INCREASE to 1000Nm at the engine (flywheel) Hmmmm and I always understood the opposite. Power at the wheels is reduced , but torque at the wheels is higher than the flywheel. So If I go by your figures I'm getting 1000Nm at the flywheel of my ZD30...Wooo Hoooo ;)

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
Those figures look about right. The heavier the reciprocating mass, the more power lost through the driveline. Normally, you’d loose around 45hp through a heavy trans like the RE5R Jatco.

Torque is a different matter. You multiply flywheel torque by the overall gear ratios and tire diameter. So 200nm at the flywheel becomes 800nm with a 4:1 diff. This torque reading is lower because it was done in 3rd, not 4th.

Torque will always be higher with an auto because the torque converter sacrifices power to increase torque.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
The two dyno grahs posted equate to almost identical power, even though different gears and different dyno. Although it would probably (deffinitely) pull better if it didnt richen up so much up top and there's perhaps 10kw left in it. And yes you're right Macca, I meant the opposite.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It says on your sheet that it was tested in 3rd gear which is the wrong gear. 4th would be the right gear to test in(on this auto) as you get a direct drive ratio of 1:1 straight thru the trans so thats possibly y your torque reading is out

i have posted a image of mine altho it doesnt have torque it has power and afr's and was done in 4th gear mods r a bit more then yours to ecu and 3' exhaust and the throttle body mod

hope this helps
Hey mello, what sort of throttle body mods do you have?

·
Registered
58 Posts
And yes you're right Macca, I meant the opposite.
Thanks for bursting my bubble Richard, Guess I'm back around the 700Nm
You off to the GP this weekend ?

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
Mmmm, its a bit of a sore topic atm. Working all day friday and saturday then on-call all day sunday. Twilight race does help though. I still know a few of the boys from Mclaren that would be good to catch up and have ways into the Webber/elf/redbull camp. So a few incentives there. Besides, might as well enjoy the event while I can so I dont have to fly to suzuka or singapore to get a decent motorsport fix in a few years.

·
Registered
nissan
64 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts