Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
What Have I Done?
nissan
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now let me explain my question further...

So here i am driving, my 06 is higher than standard, and feels great etc.
But
I drive next to many many 4wd's and they is much higher than mine..

Here is my dillema,

With all these high lifted trucks on the road, and alot of ego pumping along the way ( which i experience in my travels)

...isnt your 4wd, ONLY as high as your diffs?

ie, if you have same size rims n tyres as mine,
and we have the same 4bee ... but lets say yours is 4 inches taller

...don't we still have the same ground clearance??

·
Registered
nissan
1,482 Posts
You're right but that's only part of the equation. Drive over a big hump and the chassis will hit. Also approach and departure angles improve with height. But of course there is a limit.

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
yeh but. . . higher trucks are better! and allow for bigger tyres! which allows for more clearance :)

for me it's purely a case of, i can't get my HR license yet, so i want my 'truck' to feel as 'truckie' as possibly.

hah. lame but at least i'm not in denial! :p

TF

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
as he said, approach, rampover and departure angle, better articulation, and you can fit bigger tyres, which is as you said gets your diffs off the ground and is pretty much a cheap lift

·
Registered
nissan
11,122 Posts
To bigger lift is a waste IMO Terrible centre of gravity, handling power fuel economy all suffer
Better off with a lower and the biggest tyres that fit under it and learn to pick lines.
I've managed to drive alot of stuff people on 35s drive. It might take a couple of goes but trying is half the fun.

·
What Have I Done?
nissan
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeh but. . . higher trucks are better! and allow for bigger tyres! which allows for more clearance :)

for me it's purely a case of, i can't get my HR license yet, so i want my 'truck' to feel as 'truckie' as possibly.

hah. lame but at least i'm not in denial! :p

TF
Good on you Filthy one, i respect your honesty 100%

·
What Have I Done?
nissan
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're right but that's only part of the equation. Drive over a big hump and the chassis will hit. Also approach and departure angles improve with height. But of course there is a limit.
as he said, approach, rampover and departure angle, better articulation, and you can fit bigger tyres, which is as you said gets your diffs off the ground and is pretty much a cheap lift
Now you're talkin fellas, i did have some doubt that i may have been alone in my assumptions.
there is obviously pro's n cons to lifting, but in general, for an average joebloe
a full body lift really isnt needed to have a workable 4bee.
"nethergate" im all for cheap avenues to solutions bro .

To bigger lift is a waste IMO Terrible centre of gravity, handling power fuel economy all suffer
Better off with a lower and the biggest tyres that fit under it and learn to pick lines.
I've managed to drive alot of stuff people on 35s drive. It might take a couple of goes but trying is half the fun.
i know exactly what you mean, it really is fun, tryin hard, and achieving it .
Top quote "Benos"

·
Registered
Nissan
179 Posts
my plan is 40s under my 5inch lift i will cut every eff'ing panel if need be clearly it will be a trailer queen

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
yep!!! agree 100%. And if you are driving over things which you're getting stuck on invest in some epic skid plates. Superior make a great one for the Patrol. Gives your gearbox and transfer MUCH needed protection. The superior skid plate on a 2" lifted patrol on 33's would have it driving terrain which would trash the body in no time....but at least it'd be driving home.

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
yeh i agree.... i've only got 2" lift and 33"s. . . I'd like to go 3" maybe 4" and have a set of 35" play tyres.

i just get my truckie feel by putting switches and stuff all over the dash :)

TF

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
Portal axels are the best (and most expensive) way to increase diff height - my ultimate dream 4by is my GQ with portals, 2" lift and 33's :cool:

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
Good old ground clearance

1995 took a stock standard 2.8 diesel TF Rodeo 4X4 from Brisbane through the Centre to Alice and then to the Northwest Corner, Kimberley's' and places in between and beyond.

Now these 'little' truks didn't have much clearance to speak of and all thru the 15 weeks of travel all I got was remarks that cannot be repeated here.

As it happens the only place we bottomed out or had the bash plates contact the ground was at the Bungle Bungles.

So after 'grubbing around' on some very rough terrain, (road to the Mitchell Falls etc) and not suffering any ill effects or sustaining any damage, including not one puncture, I decided any 4X4 with a standard road clearance greater than the Rodeo didn't need altering.

Trip covered some 15,000 klms of which probably half was on the black top.

The GU has been out the back of Bourke, across thru the Parroo Channel country, White Cliffs, Cameron's Corner, to Alice for a bit of fossicking around the Gem Trees and out to Ruby Gorge.

To me it all handled great, so I put the lift kit money into better tyres and upgraded the Caravan.

My 2 bobs worth

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Some of us attempt to drive things that can and will hit on the body and chassis, hence we lift it. In saying that, I only have 2+2 in my shorty, but i hit stuff with my chassis, bullbar and rear bar fairly often when offroad. If it was higher, i may clear some of these obstacle and make them easier to drive. It's not all about diff clearance once you start driving more than a rutted track.

After saying that, I'm still a fan of low and fast :)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
OK, so it can tour on some basic tracks. Give it something more extreme, like Ellis track here in Vic. It wouldn't make it past the first puddle. This is what some of us set up our cars for. But you set yours up for touring, and it suits you. I set mine up for harder stuff, and it suits me (despite not having a big lift).

·
Resident Social Democrat
6,258 Posts
Also 100% agree! More thinking, LESS thrashing!

Also keeps the constabulary admiring, and NOT ticketing!!

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
People need to be more like Keith Adams
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Adams_(Australia)

In 1955, Adams produced an amateur film, Northern Safari, in which he, his wife Audrey, his sister Margaret and their fox terrier Tiger travelled in an old Buick from their home in Perth, Western Australia across the Gibson Desert to the Gulf of Carpentaria.
Or the Calabaria in this video, recently posted in the youtube thread:
YouTube -

I like to look at the big lifts and monster tyres and think "Cor, that looks mint!" But honestly, I'm more than happy with my 31's and I'm pretty darn certain stock setup. It'd be nice to have a done up toy, but a good solid all-rounder is what suits me. And as mentioned, it's deeply satisfying getting places that the "bigger" boys have gone, or flat outright outdoing them :)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
SNIP

And as mentioned, it's deeply satisfying getting places that the "bigger" boys have gone, or flat outright outdoing them :)
And as mentioned, your setup would NEVER be able to get up the hard tracks that mine does (and sometimes doesn't) get up with lift, 35's and a front locker!

But you are also talking about touring. Not everybody is setup for touring, some of us like to go on daytrips/weekend/weeks and drive or attempt to drive hard tracks that your 31's or 33's would never even bother trying.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
1995 took a stock standard 2.8 diesel TF Rodeo 4X4 from Brisbane through the Centre to Alice and then to the Northwest Corner, Kimberley's' and places in between and beyond.

Now these 'little' truks didn't have much clearance to speak of and all thru the 15 weeks of travel all I got was remarks that cannot be repeated here.

As it happens the only place we bottomed out or had the bash plates contact the ground was at the Bungle Bungles.

So after 'grubbing around' on some very rough terrain, (road to the Mitchell Falls etc) and not suffering any ill effects or sustaining any damage, including not one puncture, I decided any 4X4 with a standard road clearance greater than the Rodeo didn't need altering.

Trip covered some 15,000 klms of which probably half was on the black top.

The GU has been out the back of Bourke, across thru the Parroo Channel country, White Cliffs, Cameron's Corner, to Alice for a bit of fossicking around the Gem Trees and out to Ruby Gorge.

To me it all handled great, so I put the lift kit money into better tyres and upgraded the Caravan.

My 2 bobs worth
Did a similar trip in 96 (I think) in my :idiot: Jeep Cherokee, no problem, 16000K, towed my camper all the way and going into the Bungle Bungles I reckon the wheels on the trailer, and probably the Jeep, only touched the ground about 4 times on the descent, great fun, I did fit good tyres, a long range tank and adjustable Rancho's though. Came home in as good a condition as I left.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
yep!!! agree 100%. And if you are driving over things which you're getting stuck on invest in some epic skid plates. Superior make a great one for the Patrol. Gives your gearbox and transfer MUCH needed protection. The superior skid plate on a 2" lifted patrol on 33's would have it driving terrain which would trash the body in no time....but at least it'd be driving home.
Bit of trivia Early GQ Wagons and Utes had bash plates from factory but were recalled and removed as they trapped growth and were starting fires around the exhaust. Farmers weren't happy.
If you're into hardcore weekend warrior type stuff though bash plates are a good investment.
I'm yet to hit my t/c or g/box but I do my best to avoid anything that would crunch them.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts

I had a TF Rodeo once too and it was a great little truck but once you got into some half serious tracks in it you realise that 2" lift and 33's on an IFS will only get you so far.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts