Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, been a while. Took the GQ off the road end of last year with a topend rattle. Holding out for the right deal on a turbo conversion. That arrived this week, so mission on. Will keep you updated. In other news, anyone want a GQ roller, 88 I think, HD diff, leaf springs? $1500 :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Its a VL turbo motor. Will dump the OEM turbo for something modern and put a Link on it.
EDIT: No it's not. It's just a VL motor that someone has put a turbo on. Now that I know a bit more about the whole thing. Still good :)

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Link idea is out the window, weeks away on back order, so Haltech Elite 750 incoming instead. Now just deciding on a turbo. Not chasing big power at all, rather driveability and some semblance of economy. Thinking an ebay T3/T04e or similar.

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coolant galleries flushed and new welch plugs installed. Lick of paint, new plugs and leads. All looking good so far. Just finished work for the week, and have a bunch of parts arriving tomorrow, so looking forward to spending the day getting stuck into it.

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got sick of waiting for the turbo and cam/crank shaft seals to turn up, so dropped the motor in.
Feeling pretty happy about the whole affair.

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still waiting for the wrinkle paint to dry on the rocker cover, 3 days in..

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Happy wee discovery this morning when I pulled the rocker cover off my new motor. Be interesting to know what's been done inside it. Will crack it open one day.

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turbo arrived today. In true eBay form it's not as expected. Somewhat bigger on the compressor side. Not to worry. It just fits. Will go nicely with my plan for destructive testing on the new motor.

·
Registered
Patrol GQ RB30+E+T
4 Posts
Nice work man, im currently upgrading my cam and replacing my waterpump, timing belt, tensioner etc... Love a good ol 30ET

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice work man, im currently upgrading my cam and replacing my waterpump, timing belt, tensioner etc... Love a good ol 30ET
Cool, what cam are you using?

·
Registered
nissan
217 Posts
Looks good mate! How did you go with the engine mount clearance with the turbo? If I turbo mine I think I’d like a Haltech but the plug and play link looks good

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks good mate! How did you go with the engine mount clearance with the turbo? If I turbo mine I think I’d like a Haltech but the plug and play link looks good
I hacked it up. Used another engine mount to double-skin the front flange, and redrilled the hole for the mount stud. Will fit a silicon bend cut in the right place, although I'm leaning towards making a solid piece with v-band flange. In which case I'll just ball-pein panelbeat the pipe as necessary to just clear the front side of the mount.

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If I turbo mine I think I’d like a Haltech but the plug and play link looks good
I'm kindof wishing now that I had gone the extra $800 or so to get a 2500. With drive-by-wire, and a pre-made engine harness. As far as I understand it's possible to map a pedal and throttle motor with the 750, but it sounds like a complete muckaround, so I'm likely to just leave it cable throttle.

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thermo fans arrived today, eBay specials. Been seeing some people shroud them, and some not. To me a flat shroud seems counter-productive, as it just blocks off part of the core to flow that would otherwise have been carried along with the fans. I'm inclined to mount them oriented as pictured, probably on some 20x20 alloy angle, with no extra shroud. I think they'll work well.

·
Registered
nissan
217 Posts
Did you want to go dbw? That would have added a bit more cost. Are you making your own loom up? I fitted a vl engine loom to mine but these looms are getting a bit old which makes a Pre made loom sound really good.

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yea kinda did want to go DBW. Actually thought from the video about it on Haltech's site that all of the Elite range had it. Not too stressed though.

Yep making my own loom from their "premium harness" kit, just going to do a new separate engine loom, with a firewall penetration on the passenger side. Can't see any real benefit to mucking around wrapping it into the Patrol loom.

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New shiny pipe for the truck today. Pretty nice work, I'm rapt. One step closer. Same guy is going to do the intercooler piping. Reasonable pricing and 1000% better than anything I'd do.

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fitted up the intercooler today. Took to the grill a little with a flap disk. Felt like one of those things I shouldn't be doing, but all's well that ends well.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts