Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Ordered a few more bits today to support the higher power build I'm now aiming for. Flex fuel sensor, matched 1000cc injectors, Turbosmart fuel reg and filter, 6 LS2 truck coils and a distributor delete plate. Still deciding on cam, and at any rate, will wait to see what the builder recommends. Got a wee surge tank I'm going to put in; will use an in-tank pump for lifting, with the external pump for high pressure. Will see how I go with the standard fuel hardlines, and if necessary will add a bigger h.p. line and use the existing one for the bypass back to the surge. I don't think there's going to be too much more that I need to do to hit 600rwhp on ethanol, although I may find the limit of the 2.5" intercooler piping before then.

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Can safely say this blown head gasket has a lot to do with improper assembly. Wildly inconsistent torque on the head bolts; some I could have undone with a ratchet. Also there is the small matter of one sheared bolt being missing altogether..

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,363 Posts
Gotta love an easy-out.

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Gotta love an easy-out.
I'm just happy that they evidently broke it doing it up, making it nice and easy for me to extract.
Have some terrible memories of breaking 3 studs while dismantling an old overheated Mitsi diesel some time last century. Scrapped that block.

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Interested in how the gasket goes cause I have the same thinking. And considering my vl turbo had 10psi on the original gasket with no studs.
I reckon the standard gasket is fine. Have spend a couple of days feeding it 15psi now and it's still sweet. That's with ARP studs torqued to 120Nm.

·
Registered
nissan
217 Posts
I reckon the standard gasket is fine. Have spend a couple of days feeding it 15psi now and it's still sweet. That's with ARP studs torqued to 120Nm.
i think that might be the case with lower boost levels, i dont want to break down in the middle of Australia and have to fix my engine on the side of the road lol if i every get around to doing mine i might have 2 tunes, one for 98 and one for 91

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I'm putting in a rotary trim pot, like a mild to wtf knob I figure. Can map it to as many parameters as you like in the Haltech software, so will have it adjust the boost/fuelling/timing/rev limiter etc.

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
Have discovered that the stock clutch is definitely not up to the task of holding back the might of the RB turbo. Poor thing. Would be great if clutches were like tyres, i.e. stickier with heat.

·
Registered
nissan
217 Posts
I’ve got a Safari tough in mine and I’m wondering if it would even be up to a turbo set up lol. Only one way to find out

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I've got one of those sitting there to go in with the built motor, so I'll let you know :)

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Just got back from a two day mish southward and inland. Just under 600km. Average speed of 75km/h, as about half of the trip was main highway. Used about 70l fuel, so about 11.5 l/100km. Way better than I imagined it would be. Wasn't being particularly conservative with the right foot either.
This was the first real open road time with the turbo and I love it; it's nothing short of a complete transformation. Cruising in 5th and getting on boost for hills is just a joy. As is dropping it to 4th or 3rd for overtaking. Holy. Also got in a bit of winding hill driving, which was just amazing. Sitting in 2nd or 3rd and boosting out of tight corners on the ragged edge of traction is an odd feeling in a Patrol, but so damn good.
Feeling rather pleased with my winter's mission so far.

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
So, I can now say pretty confidently @Animal89 that yep, it definitely is worth it in my opinion, to invest in the RB turbo for the Patrol. I'm really happy with it.

·
Registered
nissan g160
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Starting to feel reasonably confident in the fuel mapping, after a couple of days working on the trims. This is second gear from about 5km/h up to just over 80 (the speed limit for that stretch). Still low boost, about 10psi max.

Funny listening back to this now, can hear that it's running on 5 cylinders. Going to get a gopro in the next few days, as I intend to try get some decent video content on there, starting next weekend. Heading up the beach into Cooloola N.P., which is pretty darn photogenic. Not nearly enough RB turbo patrol stuff on youtube in my humble opinion so I may as well do the thing.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts