Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
nissan g160
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
In other news I got a gopro, and made a little self indulgent flutter video. Far out I love that thing. Makes me feel like a kid. Surely my neigbours share my passion heh.

·
Registered
nissan
63 Posts
Hi mate awesome build so far, haven’t gone through and read it all yet but just came across an old video of my old GQ when I had the 25det in it..thought I’d share. good fun. It was originally an rd28.

·
Registered
nissan g160
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Ha, that's awesome. Thank you :)

·
Registered
nissan g160
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)
Yep, the haltech uses it for closed loop volumetric efficiency O2 control. Makes for pretty easy fuel tuning, just target lambda tables and shortterm/long-term fuel trims.

·
Registered
nissan
231 Posts
So it kinda self learns in close loop? It has a knock sensor too? I like the look of the Haltech unit, kinda contemplating putting one in before going turbo and see if there is much difference in power and fuel economy, I recon you could get another 10kw and better low down torque with a better ecu with knock control

·
Registered
nissan g160
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #107 (Edited)
Yep it does self learn, to a point. It saves the short term trim values that it has to make to meet the lambda targets, as long term trims. Which you can then choose to apply to the base fuel table. Which resets the long term trims back to zero. Idea being that eventually the long term trims get really small.
No knock control in this one, would have to go to the elite 2000 or 2500 to get that. Or a 1500 (4cylinder) and use wasted spark and batch injection. I'm not too stressed though, I just use a little clipon wireless radio mic. Low-tech but it works ok. Still, not too keen to push the timing on it till I get it on a dyno.
I agree that it would be interesting to see what a modern ECU does on a NA motor. Way better economy I would say. Also just so well behaved compared to running a carby. I'm a full EFI convert now. I love it. Apart from the whole artifact that is an ECU, it's waay simpler.

·
Registered
nissan g160
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
If I did it again I would buy a 2500 straight off the bat. I'm even still considering getting one, and having a go at selling the 750 with my homemade loom.

·
Registered
nissan g160
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
That would be a good easy way to go about it. Gotta get the wideband controller to go with it regardless. Don't think any of the elite range have it built in.
Was thinking about the whole conversion, and having heard that even the old Nissan ECU gives better economy over the carby despite doing batch injection, I'm thinking the shift to sequential injection alone should be worth a bit of extra mileage.

·
Registered
nissan
231 Posts
When I changed from carby to efi I only got slightLy better fuel economy, I had my carby running sweet around 15-16L per hundred, which was what I got out of my VL turbo, my mates na Calais gets around 10L per hundred. The main reason I changed to efi was due to the carby running out of fuel on steep hills. I also thought that sequential injections and more timing with 98 and knock control and wide band would bring a bit more power and economy

·
Registered
nissan g160
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Wooo, exciting times here today. Mucking around with new injectors and flooded it. Took plugs out and decided to risk a quick starter spin with extinguisher in hand. Whoompf. Was less than a second from turning the key to the spray of petrol and then the flames.
Turns out the OEM bonnet lining is anything but flame retardant. My gosh. That thing burnt fast. I had the whole lot out in less than 5 seconds but the liner is completely melted and wrecked.
No damage to anything else, just loads of melted liner bits to pick off everything.

New one on the way after they make it to order, looks like the goods. Under Bonnet Insulation NISSAN PATROL GQ

·
Registered
nissan g160
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Ah the old liner is in a wet burnt heap on the ground, and the rest is all cleaned up now. All happened pretty quickly. Didn't think to take pics.

·
Registered
nissan g160
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Turns out the flooding was caused by a stuck on injector. Bit average as it was brand new, apparently flow-tested and matched. Calling bull on that one and going to get some from a brick and mortar shop.

·
Registered
nissan g160
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Were supposed to be bosch 1300cc. What arrived were clones. I put them in anyway, briefly. Are now on their way back to the seller.

·
Registered
nissan g160
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Latest development; roof rack and hardshell tent from Strayas favourite obnoxiously branded import outdoor equippers.
Feet are getting very itchy for some leave and a camping trip now.

·
Registered
nissan g160
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Also, tried out some nulon head gasket goo for a laugh. Seems to have worked. Haven't given it any more than about 8psi boost but still, I'm impressed.

101 - 120 of 127 Posts