Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
nissan g160
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Nope not yet. Figured I'd wait for it to gum up the hole/s first.

·
Registered
nissan g160
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
So my verdict on the head gasket sealant: it's pretty good. Stopped the oil and water mixing straight away, and this morning I noticed that it's stopped the cylinder leak from pressurising the cooling system. That's after a week of daily warm-ups and about 5km driving. Will re-torque the head studs this arvo and see if it holds up to a bit more boost.

·
Registered
nissan g160
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 · (Edited)
Crazy (but kindof understandable) delays in US production meant my first piston choice got assholed yesterday, in favour of some Spool Carrillos. Arrived today, so after a few weeks of idling along, my project is back in gear. Quite excited really.
Also got a local guy making a custom billet cam for it, so looking forward to seeing what that will do. Going to be a fun next few weeks.

·
Registered
nissan g160
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Slow progress lately; bits arriving gradually. Nice shiny genuine N1 oil pump today. Camshaft is also done apparently, so hopefully will be getting the new motor in within the next week or two.

·
Registered
GQ Wagon TB42S
257 Posts
Thanks for continuing to post on this @bent, I've been enjoying your updates. Look forward to hearing how it goes with the rebuilt engine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
nissan g160
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Any new updates mate?
Nothing much of late, been a hectic last month lifewise. Started a new job and had to levelup my skills to be able to cope. Late nights of study etc. Things are getting back to normal now though so will be able to finish the truck in time for summer.
Most notable bit of progress is the new bonnet liner which arrived the other day. Haven't got photos yet but it's a really impressive bit of aftermarket goodness.
Also, chased up the camshaft engineer after realising i hadn't gotten any updates on that; turns out they'd overlooked my order and hadn't started. That was the week before last so it should be about done by now.
In the meantime I've taught myself how to do standstill burnouts in my driveway. I'm pretty sure my neighbours think I've flipped my lid, full midlife crisis style. Stuff 'em though, I'm having fun. Which i guess is what a middle-aged guy in crisis would say haha.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan g160
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Has been a good long while since I updated this. Life takes precedence over projects sometimes. After jumping ship to a new job late last year I suddenly found myself made redundant just before Christmas. Essentially covid related, the company lost some contracts and had to downsize dramatically, which I was included in. Fast forward 3 months and I have a new job, with an amazing consultancy; now placed with a big four bank and life couldn't be better.
So, time to finish the GQ. This is the last required part, arrived today. Taking it to my engine builder in the morning who is nearly finished putting it all back together, then I'll bring the whole lot home in April to drop the motor in and send it off to the dyno.
Definitely looking forward to scaring myself with some crazy hp. Probably going to upgrade the Haltech 750 to a 2000, so that I can have closed loop boost control along with a few other advantages. Launch control control for example, not that that is the most sensible thing for a Patrol. But hey, this build stopped being sensible quite a while ago.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

121 - 128 of 128 Posts