Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i dropped off my external beadlocks and km1's to get fitted up problem is after everythings fitted they still leak,The beadlocks are a standard rocktoy fab kit, tyre fitter said its most likely the bead on the tyre is too small compared to a hardcore tyre like trep etc.

Has anyone beadlocked km1's before and had issues?

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Never had beadlocks, but I read in the steel vs alloy topic that the beadlock rim manufacturers won't tell you that the range of suitable tyres is quite limited...

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
km1's where known for leaking beads, when you do i bit of mud driving, this was due to the rim protector bit on the tyre. this might be the problem, bead lock is holing the tyre off the bead a little. Is it a slow leak or a fast one ???

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Tod tyre fitter said its most likely the bead on the tyre is too small compared to a hardcore tyre like trep etc.

Has anyone beadlocked km1's before and had issues?
Listen to your tyre fitter he does this for living. The rim protector on the BFGs will be creating a bad seal.

Get some bias tyres problem solved, use the KM1 as road tyres.

·
Registered
nissan
278 Posts
sim79 your post is full of mis truths as are most of your posts regarding tyres
you really should get some real hands on experience in the tyre industry before
trying to school people one mounting beadlocks and reccomending that people
buy bias ply tyres because of what you read on the internet . even yoms
posts are far more accurate and informative .

if the op wants some real advice he can feel free to pm me .

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
sim79 your post is full of mis truths as are most of your posts regarding tyres
you really should get some real hands on experience in the tyre industry before
trying to school people one mounting beadlocks and reccomending that people
buy bias ply tyres because of what you read on the internet . even yoms
posts are far more accurate and informative .

if the op wants some real advice he can feel free to pm me .
PM sent keen learn my mis truths and why I shouldn't recommend bias tyres for offroad tyres!

·
Registered
nissan
278 Posts
because like most you make assumptions based on hearsay that you read on the internet
and then proceed to advise people incorrectly on the solutions to their issues
without having any real info on which to base your opinion on to provide a real
fix to the op,s problem .

ie " The rim protector on the BFGs will be creating a bad seal

Get some bias tyres problem solved "

seriously you dont even know what sort of driving the op does how
is " get bias ply tyres " a solution to his leaking bead lock issue .

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
ie " The rim protector on the BFGs will be creating a bad seal

Get some bias tyres problem solved "
My opinions are based on my experiences with my 4x4 and driving my mates 4x4s and what I have seen when 4x4ing with my mates. I have owned 6 sets of ATs, 3 sets of MTs and I have had my first set of bias tyres for about a year now. I have owned to many steel rims in numerous sizes 15x7, 15x8, 16x8,17x8. Alloy rims 15x7, 15x8, 16x8 and alloy beadlocks 16x8. My 4x4ing mates run sticky bias trepadors, sticky bias claws, bias simex centipedes, bias mudzillas, bias creepys, Bfg Krawlers. Yes I do like reading about tyre tech in mags and on the net and yes I would like to work in tyre industry.

The rim protector does create a poor seal as a normal tyre bead has a smooth edge, the rim protector has a raised edge.
If your running beadlocks clearly your are serious about offroading so why would you run a radial tyre, its pointless radials work well at high pressures 14-16psi that don't require beadlock. Beadlocks are needed when running tyres pressures under 10psi, which is perfect for a bias tyre.

What are rest of my mis-truths so the forum members get the correct advise?

In the future if I give anyone incorrect info please post the correct info .

Tower this my mates rig with me driving, he is running rocktoy beadlocks also with bias claws, he has no issues with them and rates them highly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts