Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day, I have a TD42 cab chasis, when I go to turn the ignition often I get nothing other than a click. I'm thinking starter motor or solenoid. I tightened the connection at the starter motor which seemed to help for awhile but the problem is back intermittently, including while launching a boat which took some time for it to turn over again. Definitely not the battery as jumping it makes no difference, either it cranks, often gingerly or nothing other than a click and then sometimes it will fire again for no apparent reason. Im thinking it is either the starter motor or solenoid, is it worth replacing solenoid or am I looking at a whole new starter motor?

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,062 Posts
I would be checking your earths first. Then I would remove the starter and inspect it. A close look at it may help you decide whether it looks like it has had a good life and it is better to replace the lot.

·
Registered
nissan
4,985 Posts
When mine does that it’s always the starter relay. I have a wire near the battery that’s connected directly to the starter solenoid so I can bypass the relay when it happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts