Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a silly idea floating around in my head for a few months now.
3.0L CRD from Isuzu Dmax into a GQ wagon.
My ultimate plan is to use engine and gearbox then the whole wiring loom from the dmax throughout the patrol. Potentially even graft in the whole dashboard.

The few hurdles I've come up with so far are :
Wiring the indicators and lights to the GQ steering collumn.
Heater and ac wiring. Depending if i cant use the dmax bits behind the dash.
Key barrel for the imobilizer.
Exhaust on drivers side.
Trying to run the loom to where i want it to go in the cab an engine bay it was never designed for.

I figure this is going to attract the usual comments but I would much apperciate any constructive criticisim or total flaws in my plan that have merrit.

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the project so any last minute red flags would be great

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,842 Posts
It's a lot of work, how much time and money do you have? If your in it for the sake of a solid project then why not (as the old saying goes 'we are only limited by our own imagination'), that would be the only reason I would tackle it.

·
Registered
Nissan
122 Posts
They got pretty decent power but at the expense of clutches and gearboxes.
Spose there are worse engines to use

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a lot of work, how much time and money do you have? If your in it for the sake of a solid project then why not (as the old saying goes 'we are only limited by our own imagination'), that would be the only reason I would tackle it.
Yeah the sense of achivement is the biggest driving factor. I dont expect it to be done over night but also dont see it costing an arm and a leg unless i have to bring in an auto sparky.
Maybe ive been watching too much mighty car mods and project binky.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They got pretty decent power but at the expense of clutches and gearboxes.
Spose there are worse engines to use
This is why the choice for the 4jj1 motor. I've always wanted to get into that 180kw region with my td42. But that is in the realms of $8-10k in bolt ons. To go on a motor with 400k km that cant be cheaply rebuilt or to find a good second hand one is already hard and only going to get harder.

On the other hand the 4jj1 is still being built so there is loads of supply for second hand motors (if the dont all get sent over seas) for years to come. You can pick them up for $3500 and for less than $2000 you can have if putting out 180kw at the wheels.

I havent looked too far into the gearbox's. I know they will be the weak link. I may look at the possibily of the patrol box behind the 4jj1 but thats not my area of expertise. So will cross that bridge when i get to it

·
Registered
Nissan
122 Posts
I think zero turbo lag has alot to do with clutch/box longevity. Most of the high pow small capacity diesels have a gradual spool and torque curve, the isuzu comes on strong almost instantly thats why you get failures.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think zero turbo lag has alot to do with clutch/box longevity. Most of the high pow small capacity diesels have a gradual spool and torque curve, the isuzu comes on strong almost instantly thats why you get failures.
Sounds like you have a bit of experience with these motors. Other than diesel smart in Mackay. who else is getting good results tuning these things?

·
Registered
Nissan
122 Posts
Ive done a few exhausts on them for mates (3" is a mission to fit) and lucky enough to have driven most of the new dual cabs for comparison. In my opinion they are quickest however i havent driven the new navara.
3" exhaust, chip (more boost) and cooler upgrade should see decent power over stock.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah most chip or reflash companies are only advertising 20-30% gains.
Diesel smart are going 100% with a set of injector tips and their module and turbo actuator.
Spoke to one of the lads there today. They seem pretty serious with this motor. Can do a billet crank for them too as they seem the weak point.
Just wondering if there is anyone else out there pushing these little 4 bangers

·
Registered
2016 CRD wagon
990 Posts
Just autos in Nambour have a dmax as one of their business vehicles. Have seen it driving around Caloundra. It's apparently running bigger injectors with their own remap and may also have turbo work (?).

They are pretty switched on apparently and the owner, Matt, seems well regarded. Check out their Facebook page, I'm sure the dmax is posted on there.

Saw it take off from the lights the other day. Let's just say it's not lacking fuel:smirk:.

Cheers
Trev

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
The wiring will be the most time consuming part. You will need to sit down with wiring diagrams for both the donor and recipient and figure out where each part will interface. I'd stick with the patrol manual box if possible, but it might be difficult marrying them up. If you can have the car off the road for a year or two, then I can't see a reason why it wouldn't be do-able. Also, check the height of the donor engine - The GQ bonnet isn't as high as some of the new cars - I found that out when I put the ZD in mine.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is going to be a long term project so time isnt a problem. Im thinking of removing ALL of the wiring from the GQ and try to graft in the Dmax dashboard.
The plan is to start stripping the dmax and see what parts are needed to still run the motor.
Then remove from car and hook up what it needs to start it and get it running out of the car.
That way i can install only whats needed into the GQ and start adding as much of the dmax electrics i can.
Hopfully as little splicing of looms as possible.

Again this is all theory so happy to hear any major problems i have over looked

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
Once you look at the wiring diagram for the dmax, any issues should become apparent. Stuff like - is there an ABS module and does it interface with the ECU? If you are using the DMAX dash cluster, will the fuel gauge work with the GQ sender? If you end up using the patrol gearbox, how do you get signal for the speedo?
Also, you may need to get some air con pipes made up to connect the DMAX compressor to the GQ evaporator.
I'm keen to see how it goes.
It's a lot of work, but much more rewarding than following the same well worn paths that everyone else follows (LS1, TD42 etc...)

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,254 Posts
Unless you are a advanced auto sparkie or are prepared to pay someone a lot of dollars to do the job for you. Don't do it.
I'm pretty bloody good at auto electrics but there is no way I would attempt it. Would be a nightmare.
If you decide you still want to do it. Speak to Jim Lemonis. (find him on FB. Same bloke that does the wiring conversions for Christian King) He is a gun at making new car wiring talk to old cars.

ZD30 rules the road.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would imagine make new engines talk to a different new car would be a night mare.
Have spoken to a couple of people that have given me confidence on the electricle side of things so i bit the bullet. 2009 Dmax on the way
Gunna be a slow process but Im gunna give it a crack. Just got to find a rust free GQ wagon now

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Once you look at the wiring diagram for the dmax, any issues should become apparent. Stuff like - is there an ABS module and does it interface with the ECU? If you are using the DMAX dash cluster, will the fuel gauge work with the GQ sender? If you end up using the patrol gearbox, how do you get signal for the speedo?
Also, you may need to get some air con pipes made up to connect the DMAX compressor to the GQ evaporator.

I'm keen to see how it goes.
It's a lot of work, but much more rewarding than following the same well worn paths that everyone else follows (LS1, TD42 etc...)
ABS is a good one to keep in mind. Will look further into that. Also the fuel gauge. Having a complete working Dmax is going to help the problem solving.
Going to keep the isuzu gearbox initially. The AC and powersteering lines were always going to have to be custom.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nah 4wd. Unfortunatley the have an elctronically controlled 4wd actuator. Thats something to play with in the future. See if it cant be manualized.

·
Registered
2x ford mavricks
164 Posts
if you have a donner vehicle and plenty of time go for it sounds like a fun project just cheeck with rego so you can rerego it

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if you have a donner vehicle and plenty of time go for it sounds like a fun project just cheeck with rego so you can rerego it
Yeah the plan all along was to have a complete running donor vehicle. Should make it a bit easier if i keep an organised system going.

Got the all clear from 2 different engineers. Even swapping in the whole dashboard if i can make it work.

1 - 20 of 190 Posts