Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

181 - 191 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Well done mate a huge effort to get to a drivable stage (y)

jim
Thanks mate. Pretty stoked to be able to move it out of the garage under its own power.
I was really hoping to have sold my other patrol by now to fund the final bits and pieces.
There are still plenty of things that just cost me time to sort out so slowly plugging away at those.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Been slow going for the last month. I decided i needed part of the dash i threw out to make the centre section for the stereo. So had to buy a whole dash from the wreckers. Doh.
So its all shaped up and bolted in for test fitting. All the heater controls work now.
Unfortunately it sticks out from the dash a bit further than I would like which leaves me a dilemma of what to do for the stereo. I had decided on the 7" touch screen unit i was going to use but i dont think the visibility of it would warrant a screen down there. May just go a simple single din unit and put a uhf in there. 20200106_163646.jpg

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
After a long night the other night pulling my hair out trying to get the rear wiper to work i found a thread on this forum that had a good electrical schematic that wasnt in my haynes manual i got it going. Not before i pulled the wiper motor to pieces to try work out how it comes back to the rest position. (Still have no idea).

So After that little battle the other night i made a start on finishing off the chassis loom to the tail lights.
Hopefully have that all buttoned up by the end of the week.

Also sold my ute so that has freed up some funds to sort out the suspension.
Then once i have sorted some handbrake cables I think its time to go see the engineer.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
I finally have a hand brake. Its not quite complete but functioning none the less. Just gotta finish welding up a bracket and bolt it to the floor. I havent tested it on a hill yet so hopefully it holds a 3t truck on a hill when they were designed for a little subaru ute.

Also picked up a front gu diff and steering box and master cylinder.
Forgot how much i hate working on diffs. Especially when you are scraping the crud off by hand and wiping down with rags.
The diff looks to be in pretty good shape so will just replace the inner axle seals.
Maybe even brace it while ive got it stripped. Also chuck in the auto locker i got when they were 20% off.
Also picked up some hd tie rod and drag link and even a supacentre winch.

·
Registered
2003 GUIII - TD27T
85 Posts
I tried to talk the Son into following your lead after his ZD30 blew up in his GU a month or so ago.
He decided to sell it as a roller and "upgrade" (his words, not mine) to a '15 Isuzu Mu-X.

He just got back from a Trip to Geelong from the Sunny coast
and mentioned the Mu-X wasn't as spacious or comfortable to drive as the 'ol GU.

In saying that he doesn't regret the desicion with all the mod cons and the fact it averaged 7L/100km over 4000km.
in saying that he did also mention he was just cruising along at about 95kph as well.

Be interesting to see how yours goes fuel wise in the GQ.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
I dont imagine the swap would be as straight forward into a GU. Air bags and abs to deal with and if you cant graft the indicator stalk and gauge cluster in it would be a mission.

As far as economy goes i would be happy if it returned 10l/100 but not knowing the health of the injectors and not tuned it wouldnt surprise me if it was a little higher. My 2009 colorado work ute returns 10l/100. The later models seem to get much better economy

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,175 Posts
I tried to talk the Son into following your lead after his ZD30 blew up in his GU a month or so ago.
He decided to sell it as a roller and "upgrade" (his words, not mine) to a '15 Isuzu Mu-X.

He just got back from a Trip to Geelong from the Sunny coast
and mentioned the Mu-X wasn't as spacious or comfortable to drive as the 'ol GU.

In saying that he doesn't regret the desicion with all the mod cons and the fact it averaged 7L/100km over 4000km.
in saying that he did also mention he was just cruising along at about 95kph as well.

Be interesting to see how yours goes fuel wise in the GQ.
I found our 14 Mux more comfortable than my 04 GU.
Though the xr6 seats in my gq are more comfy again.
I do prefer the more upright higher seating position of the patrols, though mux isnt too bad.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Is your seat comversion in your build thread? Are there any differences between the xr6 seat shapes between diffent models and trim levels? I was keen on getting some leather seats but cant justify the cost atm. But its not going to cost much more to add it to the list for the engineer so might pick some cheap ones up.

·
Registered
nissan
3,942 Posts
From when I looked at them (had them for a while) all BA onwards XR6 & 8 seats are the same except for trim variations and the later ones, sorry don't know what year, had the side airbags. And the utes have the tilt forward function. I had an early set from a sedan which had the blue patterned insert and black sides. Then I got a set of later pre airbag XR8 ute ones and they are black sides and a darkish dimpled cloth centre. Then of course full leather. I think there is an orangey version too. All have the electric lumbar and base tilt. I don't remember now if they had electric slide.

I ended up pulling mine out because with the tilt function they sit too high for me. Good visibility and really comfy and seating position was good with the adjustment but I found them annoying to get in and more so out of all the time. The mob that does the adaptors now do them lower but you have to ditch the tilt adjustment.

181 - 191 of 191 Posts