Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had a set of reduction gears fitted to my CRD 3.0ltr and OMG its a totally new car. When I 1st purchased the 3.0ltr coming from the 4.2 I was not happy with the drivability in the bush, ie steep hill climbs. I was finding I was having to keep the rpm's around 2000rpm to keep the engine from stalling, which in turn meant driving harder / faster.

Anyway to overcome the issues I had a chip installed which is great but didn't solve the issue. I then researched a little more and installed a set of gears. In my opinion if I had done the gears prior to the chip I would never had bought it. If you own a manual 3.0 CRD buy some gears you won't look back. Totally new car.. :grin:

·
Registered
176 Posts
What percentage reduction?

·
Registered
nissan
54 Posts
Hey cuzzo, good stuff mate. What'd they cost, where'd you get em and anymore details? Are there different ratios of reduction and if so what did you go for?

cheers mate

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys, I had a set of Marks gears installed. 43% reduction, they are spot on. The vehicle walked up & down everything I pointed it at. Totally freed up the engine, turbo spools up quicker due to less load on the drive train which I think is the key. I should mention along with the gears I had an exhaust done which would help the turbo spool quicker but the gears are the key. Gears cost $1000 or $1200 I can't remember, I purchased from the 4x4 show in Melb a few months back & the install cost $500. If I was to purchase a new G.U, this would be one of the 1st mods I would do. Only downfall if you can call it a downfall is on flat sections of track in between serious tracks I was finding myself having to change back to H4, whereas before I would just leave it in L4. Reason being its a little slower now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
G'day Cuzzo,
Glad your happy with your mods, but what about cruising in 2H and 4H ? I had same drivability issues when cruising at low speeds off road, and even higher speeds on road, That shocking lag between gear changes before torque was back. Mostly the turbo spooling taking so long. I also fitted a chip and a manual boost control, (not a dawes) The boost control is set and forget, THAT was what solved my problem, set at 16psi. I used to ride the clutch taking off in first gear on any sort of hill. Now I can take off in second with 33's and it works in ALL gear ranges.
Cheers Greg

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
G'day Cuzzo,
Glad your happy with your mods, but what about cruising in 2H and 4H ? I had same drivability issues when cruising at low speeds off road, and even higher speeds on road, That shocking lag between gear changes before torque was back. Mostly the turbo spooling taking so long. I also fitted a chip and a manual boost control, (not a dawes) The boost control is set and forget, THAT was what solved my problem, set at 16psi. I used to ride the clutch taking off in first gear on any sort of hill. Now I can take off in second with 33's and it works in ALL gear ranges.
Cheers Greg
Hey Macca, yeah I have learn't to live with the problem in 2H & 4H. Only today I was towing a 1.5 tonne excavator and was having to ride the clutch a little to get it going. I sometimes even have to select low-range if I am on a hill. I'm keen to hear more about the way your manual boost control works.. Cheers in advance mate.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
should have bought Automatics boys.
Lol, I guess I was just brought up to believe that 4WD's were mean't to have a manual transmission & lower gearing. Or more berries I don't know..

·
Registered
58 Posts
should have bought Automatics boys.
LOL....isn't the AUTO the same model that comes with the glowing brake rotors. ;)
or just do the mods. Being able to take off in second with 35's, happy as a pig in chit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts