Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the CBA budget program it was a breeze. Nevertheless it often horrifies me to see where all the money goes. Regular fixed expenses are a major PITA of course but the discretionary spending is an eye-opener. Things pop up, like newspapers $570 a year.

Food and groceries chew up a fair bit as well (my biggest expense.) I don't know why I bother still doing a budget, everything seems to run OK on auto-pilot. Just habit I guess.

Is there anyone left who doesn't do a yearly budget?

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Yes, me.

I work on the pay everything as it comes in / save the rest / put some away for a rainy day / if you can afford it buy it principle.

Budgeting is a foreign word to me.

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,576 Posts
and me . budgets are for pensioners and dole bludgers .

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
I'm with Benno.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
I don't budget traditionally. I have a my pay split in two, one lot that is small(ish) goes into the living account that consists of fixed expenses and small discretionary. Then I have the majority portion that goes into a savings account to only be touched on large items. I even have the accounts in separate banks so transfer is not instantaneous so I can't drunkenly purchase things I shouldn't.

Seems to work pretty well.

·
Registered
A45 AMG, Ranger :(
1,163 Posts
I budget pay to pay. With 3 kids, 3 cars, too many pets, too many hobbies, its impossible to go over longer time frames! haha. We do similar to HeyHey, have an account with another bank we use as savings, its then got a online only account so you can't just use EFTPOS etc. Only way we seem to be able to save.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
My bills get payed every week via transfer or b pay, I have a bit going into a savings but not as much as I would like. I also like to treat my every day account as having zero $ in it when it is at 2K, This means if the chit hits the fan, Washing machine, car down, something unforseen I have rainy day money at hand.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
Thats the biggest issue for my mates. Get paid and see $$ in there, then think they've got $$$ discretional spending and its gone after the first weekend of the pay period.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
it's hard to do but know I kick my self it goes under the 2k mark. if a get more in there I transfer it to my savings

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Is there anyone left who doesn't do a yearly budget?
i'm part scottish so naturally a tight wad. count the moths in my wallet! :D
i normally don't have to budget much. monthly statement tells me if i have spent to much or not.
but thats changed a bit. bought a house and things like water bills and insurance are yearly. so now forced to do a yearly budget and make sure $$ is set aside for those things.

the small things can add up. i know someone who worked out there Saturday coffee cost them $1000 a year.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats on your Scottish ancestry. I am 100% Scot myself. I firmly believe it is a good thing to know where the money goes.

·
Registered
nissan
2,450 Posts
It is a great idea to have a budget esty, most of us more experienced operatives will have some form of budget in the household.

I my self originate from the bastard side/region of scottsville/welshville (so I have been informed) and I am very aware of unnecessary expenditure.

I must admit though, on most occasions, when the money is plentiful, I do enjoy "spending wastefully"

Most of the young ones on here will be on a spend by day/month budget, and by all accounts will work in the short term.

·
Registered
nissan
1,961 Posts
We get away without a budget as such, however, are very well disciplined in our spending.
I track spending after the fact, but there is generally nothing further we can do. Already a major tight ass lol. My dad was a banker and his dad an accountant so was taught by the best ha ha.

'my purse strings may be tight, but I never loosen others'

One of my favourite quotes ;)

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,016 Posts
I don't have a formal budget, but I put aside roughly how much money I need for bills, rego and other crap.
Then, once that has taken up all my money I sit around and want a better job... being a student does not help that.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu4.2
1,085 Posts
I have different amounts going into different accounts, My fun account is my "used to be spent on smokes" account, I have allowed myself to spend that on whatever I like

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,006 Posts
My wife and I have a weekly budget that gets adjusted if our pay or expenses change. Pay goes in, then automatic transfers put money in seperate accounts for bills, savings etc. The little bit that's left is spending money for beer/bits for the patrol.

·
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty
nissan
6,172 Posts
$43.00 for a pkt of rollie baccy, $45.00 for a carton of very average beer and $1.60 per litre to go and get them....

Given up on budgeting, just go with the flow.

Cheers.....Lionel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts