Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,349 Posts
Could we nickname you the scrubbermaster daily?

heh! ;)

Seriously though have you driven one yet? I bet steep declines would be scary as sh*t pucker muscle moments. But you have a forward control so you're used to it I guess....

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could we nickname you the scrubbermaster daily?

heh! ;)

Seriously though have you driven one yet? I bet steep declines would be scary as sh*t pucker muscle moments. But you have a forward control so you're used to it I guess....

101 has nothing but a beer can between you and oncoming obstacles, so its got nothing on that, best description I ever heard about driving a 101 is you sit in the very far corner of a very big box, when you drive one you realise just how true that is:D

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
x2 vote for consolodating the vehicles to a Iveco Daily, except for the fact its an Iveco Daily and our work one has had some transmission issues. But I think its because of the drivers and not the gear. I quite like it.

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
I haven't driven one yet, but if the spec sheet is anything to go by then they should be unreal.

Nothing else short of a Unimog is as well equipped.

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
I'll buy your 101!

I did briefly envisage the iveco 4x4 as a carrier for the quad bikes and dogs + camping gear. Enough to cart everything in over moderate ground, then quad bikes from there.

But pure dreaming, and I didn't think as civilised as a proper camp truck.

Came across a few of these big campers in June. One was a (unimog I think) from Germany.
Saw it 6 weeks previous in Alice Springs too. There's some sort of legal way you can bring a vehicle into the country, drive it around for a year, and either go to the next country or home. I digress. The thing that struck me was that if they didn't disqualify themselves with the excessive length wheelbase, it was that the high load made them top heavy. (There was also a troopy, custom converted into a camper pop top in this category. The owner built it up and was using an around Australia trip to test it. Nice design, except he was too S h i t scared to do normal rough stuff, because it tipped easily on these obstacles (like where you might pop a wheel into the air).

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Who bought one on here and said goodbye and has been building his Iveco for the last 8 months? He sold his Patrol to get it.

This the way forward once the kids have left home.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
I agree (not that I have kids), but if I wanted a dedicated 4x4 tourer, I wouldn't be looking at Patrols, LCs or anything light vehicle. You can get a **** hot tourer if you look into the light truck market

·
Registered
nissan patrol
356 Posts
There's some sort of legal way you can bring a vehicle into the country, drive it around for a year, and either go to the next country or home.
It's called a carnet de passage from memory. A passport of sorts for your vehicle. A year max in one country. Cost a bit and generally backed by insurance like Lloyds to ensure if you sell it whilst touring the country can get their $ from it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
Been doing a little looking into these recently. Have a read of this blokes Iveco - very balanced views and describes the good and bad points and little things you can do to resolve the factory Italian way of doing things ;)
In relation to Heyhey's post, apparently the transmission issues are caused by overfilling the gearbox. The engineers thought it a good idea to put the filler bung way above the actual fill height????
Going Bush

Reactions: heyhey

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
Italians, just incase LOL (re; filling point).

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,349 Posts
I'm sure if you tilt the truck on one side at the right angle the fill point will be right, ish. Lol

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
I think it's just a LWB.

There is LWB single cab version that often see when I'm cycling that parks in one of a car parks along the beach just b4 the north mole (that's Fremantle for the non sand groupers). I would love a tour but the bloke always seems to be inside and I don't wasn't to disturb him. Hopefully I will catch him outside one day.

It looks like they've done a wheelbase extension on those ones. I know they come in a SWB and a LWB, but the ones in that vid looked longer again.

Personally I'd have a SWB single cab.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts