Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then when you drive a Y62 you are seriously surprised by that engine and just have to pause and marvel at the thing. This morning I put the slipper into mine on an empty freeway on ramp for no particular reason and just tore it up. By the time i looked down at the speedo after only a handful of seconds I was surprised to see it was over 150k/h. Its just amazing that it can hurl 2.8t of bus up to that speed in a few hundred metres. I have owned a Suby wrx and a BMW M3 in the past and I think this V8 with the exhaust I have can be contrasted with those engines and not by any measure be embarrassed.

I have driven a work Prado (new one) for the last few days and I made the mistake of trying to overtake a truck in it (got on the wrong side of the road then remembered the thing couldnt pull your hat off and had to give up) I just had to share. After enduring diesel rattle, buzz, breathlessness and a total lack of power for only a few days it was so nice to have a free-revving, yogo-smooth, fire-breathing V8 under my right boot again.

Power is everything. Viva los 5.6!!

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu4 wagon
392 Posts
Thanks for sharing, If I could afford one I would consider buying one.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
I could afford one, but I couldn't afford the epic fuel bill.

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
We're do you people keep getting this epic fuel bill and huge fuel costs from, is it just ignorance having not driven or owned one or what, yes they use a bit more fuel than a 200 series TD, but it uses about the same as my old 3L GU not towing and actually uses less when towing

·
Registered
Nissan
508 Posts
It's all relative. If you de-tuned the Y62 to the lower power level of a 200 or even a TD/ZD, the fuel bill would be similar. When you got that much grunt, who gives a **** about the fuel bill?

I'm waiting for the price to drop to a point where I can afford one, then I'll buy one.

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man things must be bad for you if you can't afford an extra $3-6 every 100km. Sorry to hear it. Hope 2015 sees things improve!

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y62
41 Posts
I have only had my Y62 for a week and believe it's the most comfy 4wd I have ever had , nothing that I have ever driven power wise compares
Put a little pressure on that accelerator and I have a smile on my dial
I flew back to work yesterday and had to leave my y62 at home , I miss her already
Back in my work car nissan xtrail , she is no Y62 that's for sure
John

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Man things must be bad for you if you can't afford an extra $3-6 every 100km. Sorry to hear it. Hope 2015 sees things improve!
Thanks it's appreciated!
But 2015 won't be good year for me or my work mates everyone is getting sacked in first or second week back from x-mas holidays lol

Well what are the some real fuel figures per 100klm?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
554 Posts
Expect 18-20 around town.

But much less than a bus would use and very comfy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
554 Posts
Only one tank I believe but say 700 if I used it right up. Been times with the light on and driven for a while still and when refilled it meant I had still another 25litres to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks it's appreciated!
But 2015 won't be good year for me or my work mates everyone is getting sacked in first or second week back from x-mas holidays lol

Well what are the some real fuel figures per 100klm?
Sorry to hear that. A lot of people here have been out out of work too with the mining downturn in the last 6 months.

I run mine on 95 RON e10 and average 15l/100km. Just filled it at 109.9cpl. If you convert that economy to diesel equivalent, given that diesel costs about 20cpl more at the moment it ends up at about a 13.3l/100 as a comparison consumption. Of course when diesel isn't so much more than petrol then results are different. I had a ranger before the 62 and I never managed better than 10.7 (probably the way I drive) so the v8 costs about 2-4l/100 more or about $3-6 like I said. Over a year the y62 will burn about $900 ($1300 tops) more in fuel than the ranger. Which is bugger all. A hundred bucks a month more to drive a 300kw v8 instead of a 147kw diesel? It's a no-brainer.

Towing a 2.8t boat the worst I have seen is 26, best 21. The 26 was cruising at 130k/h on the freeway. Ranger used 17-18 towing the same boat.

Reactions: joohnooo

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reactions: BigGQWesty

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
And people still buy a gu with it's embarrassing little engine lol.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Sorry to hear that. A lot of people here have been out out of work too with the mining downturn in the last 6 months.

I run mine on 95 RON e10 and average 15l/100km. Just filled it at 109.9cpl. If you convert that economy to diesel equivalent, given that diesel costs about 20cpl more at the moment it ends up at about a 13.3l/100 as a comparison consumption. Of course when diesel isn't so much more than petrol then results are different. I had a ranger before the 62 and I never managed better than 10.7 (probably the way I drive) so the v8 costs about 2-4l/100 more or about $3-6 like I said. Over a year the y62 will burn about $900 ($1300 tops) more in fuel than the ranger. Which is bugger all. A hundred bucks a month more to drive a 300kw v8 instead of a 147kw diesel? It's a no-brainer.

Towing a 2.8t boat the worst I have seen is 26, best 21. The 26 was cruising at 130k/h on the freeway. Ranger used 17-18 towing the same boat.
Thanks. And thanks for the info those figures were surprising.

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. And thanks for the info those figures were surprising.
One clarification - i live 1.5km from the M1. My commute to work is 45km and takes 35 mins. So those numbers are 90% highway usage. If you spend time in heavy traffic expect 18l/100k or more. I bought this car in brissie, on the drive to sydney the average was 13.4.

As for range, well, mine is really annoying. Mine says 0km to empty and still has 30l left in the tank! There is only 1 tank, it's 140l, so if I ignore the computer telling me that I am out of fuel I get over 800ks from 125l usable tank capacity. On a long trip 1000km from a tank is doable in theory. I drove from Brisbane to Maitland and only put 110 litres in.

·
Registered
nissan
770 Posts
With the big rubber on I get down to the low 14s on the hwy, 13s if its a bit slower due to traffic etc, depending on traffic jams etc in the city I'm on 18s-19s around town, I'm a bit of a lead foot though, had the car for almost 12 months now and still love the power

·
Registered
nissan
459 Posts
One clarification - i live 1.5km from the M1. My commute to work is 45km and takes 35 mins. So those numbers are 90% highway usage. If you spend time in heavy traffic expect 18l/100k or more. I bought this car in brissie, on the drive to sydney the average was 13.4.

As for range, well, mine is really annoying. Mine says 0km to empty and still has 30l left in the tank! There is only 1 tank, it's 140l, so if I ignore the computer telling me that I am out of fuel I get over 800ks from 125l usable tank capacity. On a long trip 1000km from a tank is doable in theory. I drove from Brisbane to Maitland and only put 110 litres in.
I too find that the gauge will be on empty and computer tells me I have 40 or so km to empty but when I fill it up it only takes 105 litres, meaning theres 35 litres to go!!

I guess its safer to understate range than overstate range from the manufacturers point of view.

Highway driving returns 13-13.5 everytime I do a long trip at 115kph, slower country highways and it can dip into the 12's.

Round town, slow speed, mum's truck, shopping trolley, kids personal air conditioner duties and it goes into the low 20's

For what it is and how it goes I think the fuel use is pretty reasonable, to put it into perspective my 4.8 GU auto on injected gas was costing me more per 100km to run than the Y62 does on 98RON.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts