Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone point me in the direction of a 12v pump suitable for transferring petrol from jerry cans to my car? (eg ebay) thanks!

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,519 Posts
go to any auto parts store. buy an aftermarket fuel pump some hose and clamps, electrical wire and make up yourself.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Look up Tanami pumps, purpose-built for what you want.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,037 Posts
Look up Tanami pumps, purpose-built for what you want.
Tanami pumps are great. They are simple, safe, compact and reliable but they lack flexibility. You have to have one specifically designed for your fuel container and if you have a number of different styles of container you need one pump for each.

Electric pumps are much more flexible but most reasonably priced electric fuel transfer pumps are not rated for petrol but only diesel, oils, biofuels etc. Those that are rated for petrol are either expensive ($500 or more), or have pathetically slow transfer rates. The only one I've used was in the later category and it took about an hour and a half to fuel the truck from a 200l drum. I'd say a 20l jerry would have taken about 10 minutes.

It was one of these. Facet Posi Flo Fuel Pump – Scintex Australia It was cheap, small and versatile but it was awfully slow.

While I was looking for that link I saw the following setup which is quite a bit dearer but might prove more suitable if flow rate is important. I have never seen one in use though. Unleaded Petrol & Diesel Pump Kit 12V Electric Fuel Transfer – Scintex Australia

If you just have one type of container then a Tanami pump is the go and not too hard to make yourself if you are a bit handy.

Cheers,

·
Registered
526 Posts
Have you thought about using one of the 'jiggler' hoses instead? I have used them for years without any issues, and they transfer at a good rate. I tried using a clip on spout at one stage but found a pain in the proverbial.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
The idea of the Tanami pumps - and transfer pumps in general - is to allow easy transfer of fuel without having to manhandle the jerry can. I guess this came about with the rise in numbers of Grey Nomads.

Leave the jerry in the rack, hook the pump up, done.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,037 Posts
The idea of the Tanami pumps - and transfer pumps in general - is to allow easy transfer of fuel without having to manhandle the jerry can. I guess this came about with the rise in numbers of Grey Nomads.

Leave the jerry in the rack, hook the pump up, done.
I think the 200 litre drums they leave for you at well 23 on the CSR might have contributed to some people wanting a transfer pump but you are right that the old codgers have led the charge in take up of these pumps.

Cheers

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
^ I agree, very cool!!!

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Made one of these years ago, connect the compressor and add air.
***Be sure not to walk away with compressor running***

How does this work?
What is the filter thing for?
Thanx

·
Registered
nissan
547 Posts
How does this work?
What is the filter thing for?
Thanx
connect your compressor to the valve (next to the red tap), then off you go.

The filter will filter out some/any/most of the crap from the jerry.

The Tanami has a pressure relief valve too, which stops you from accidentally exploding your can!

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
connect your compressor to the valve (next to the red tap), then off you go.

The filter will filter out some/any/most of the crap from the jerry.

The Tanami has a pressure relief valve too, which stops you from accidentally exploding your can!
Thanx mate, but I'm trying to understand how it works so I can build a one myself using the scraps in the garage.
I know we can either use,
1)Vacuum siphoning or
2)Pressure siphoning
But, I can't work out how the above unit use either one of those methods.
I think I'm looking at a sketch diagram or a bit more detailed description.

I think the above gadget isn't using pressure siphoning 'cos there's only one hose that appears to be going into the
jerry can(the one with the filter) and that's obviously to siphon out the petrol off the jerry can. If it's vacuum simphoning, then howz the air pressure at the red tap create the vaccum down the siphon hose to trigger the start of the water flow?
Cheers

·
Registered
892 Posts
Not a siphon at all, Fuel drum stays on the ground, pump in air into sealed top of drum, fuel displaced out tube and hose. Drum is under pressure
Great for diesel and works ok for petrol but I have a bad feeling when pressurizing petrol

Ive seen one similar for transfering concentrated sulfuric acid, that kept you concentrated on hose security.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts