Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just spit-balling here.

Has anybody thought about fitting a jerrycan holder to the small barn door on their rig?
It would be easy to move the number plate n light to the rear bar.
What do you recon, would the LH barn door handle an extra 20-25kg hanging off it?

·
Registered
nissan
1,175 Posts
Yes, have seen this done before, the ones ive seen they just re-mounted the number plate (and light) to the back of the jerry can holder.

I decided against this type of rear holder ,because i wanted to carry unleaded in the jerry, it did not come across as the best idea having fuel on the rear door, and it was debatable wether or not it was legal.

·
Registered
nissan
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I'm pretty sure its not legal to have fuel mounted on the rear of any vehicle, be it car or trailer. But water is fine.

I might want to put fuel on the back sometimes, but don't tell anybody....

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
yeah, I'm pretty sure its not legal to have fuel mounted on the rear of any vehicle, be it car or trailer. But water is fine.

I might want to put fuel on the back sometimes, but don't tell anybody....
No problem here with having fuel on the back of a vehicle. However, i would not put more weight on the door. Most set-up I see here use swing-out mounts from the bumper (not stock bumper). The same goes for the spare tire. The big barn door really is not built to take the weight of anything over stock size and the bashing around in the bush.

·
Registered
nissan
400 Posts
Not exactly the same, but along a similar line. I cant believe people would get a jerry can holder for their ARB rear bar. Basically people paying $1000 for the ability to carry 20 litres. The money would be better spent on a long range tank. Certainly for a second spare yes, but not 20 litres of fuel.

·
Registered
nissan
1,175 Posts
No problem here with having fuel on the back of a vehicle. However, i would not put more weight on the door. Most set-up I see here use swing-out mounts from the bumper (not stock bumper). The same goes for the spare tire. The big barn door really is not built to take the weight of anything over stock size and the bashing around in the bush.

Not 100% sure, but I think some old jeeps and landrovers may have even had rear mount fuel jerrys as legal accesories ?

I could not find any official legal written info to confirm if this practice was legal or not in Queensland,AU

Extra 25kg bouncing around on the small rear door, could turn into a problem i guess.

I ended up getting 2 of these ....

They hold 25L each and are short and fat in shape, this gives them a large stable flate base, and a low centre of gravity, this also makes them perfect to sit up on my roof basket (without the need for a jerry holder) just a couple of tie downs and they are very secure.

Of course, you need a roof basket to do this, but i feel, if i had to, i could easy carry 4+ cans (100L, or more) of fuel this way on the basket.

As i have a 4.5L GU, its not all out of the question :rolleyes: (ha-ha)

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
I don't see diesel jerry can being much of a risk on the rear. I have also seen jerry can holders mounted on the front bumper. Diesel is not explosive like petrol. Of course, the best solution is a long ranger tank or another tank fitted below. The main reason is to keep the centre of gravity low. I give my head a shake at many of the 4wheelers here who have all their heavy crap up on the roof. 300+ kilos on the roof and then they wonder why they have a roll over.

Reactions: Catweazle

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
i see dozens of people driving every week with fuel jerry cans sliding around the back of their utes.

I think you will find there's laws regarding storing unleaded petrol outside the vehicle when travelling through Aboriginal populated areas and possibly laws relating to how much fuel in jerry cans you can actually carry (there will be a limitation for sure). Diesel, I don't know...would be good to know though as I want to figure out a way to carry more fuel without taking up interior space. Currently I have a reasonable highway range of around 500km (more if the conditions are good for it but this is rare in real life) which is enough for me but being only a 60L or so useable tank I have tended to run out fairly quickly when bumming around 4wd parks on a weekend.

·
Registered
nissan
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I,m heading up the cape this year with some guy's on motorbikes and I'm going to have to carry some fuel for the bikes. I have a roof cage but space is at a bit of a premium as I will also have food/clothing etc for 7 people, so any alternative for carrying fuel is an option.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
Sound like you need to make, rent, borrow or buy and off road trailer. It doesn't have to be a camping trailer - just one which can handle the trail and carry all the crap required of a support vehicle. If the trailer uses the same tire and rim, that would be a plus. I'd rather be pulling a trailer than screwing up my vehicle's balance.

·
Registered
nissan
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Canuck, but I do not want to tow anything.

Jamus, that's got me thinking. But it would be a PItA when opening & closing the rear door.

Hey A4B, that was the way I was going. 10 ltr jerrycans are not too heavy to lift down from the roof, and also have a lower center of gravity than 20 ltr ones.

From what I can see, the longest distance without fuel up there is about 300k (can anybody confirm this???) So I would need 30-40 ltrs of fuel for the bikes on top of what they can carry themselves.

Anyway, I digress, I saw a jerrycan kit at good old Supercheap today, and I recon It weighed 3kg and It looked pretty easy to modify to hang off the door. For $25 I might give it a go

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
I wouldn't put a jerry on the barn door unless the mount points on the outer door skin are braced internally to the inner door skin.
Take a look at the internal bracing inside the large barn door for the wheel carrier and you'll see what I mean.
If you dont brace it the mount bolts will tear out of the skin eventually.

cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts