Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think its simply disgusting the number of Australians passing around the joke letter aimed at the Japanese from the whales (the suck shit one). Yes hunting the whales is arguably wrong and so is their treatment of prisoners and civilians during WW2 but you cannot sit there and tell me that thousands of people who had nothing to do with either of these events "deserves" what has happened over the past few days.

The next person to make a joke about it gets banned for good. Or am I completely out of line for believing this.

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
Fair call....ww2 was so long ago so why drag it up in jest, whales - don't agree with what they are doing but the international community are doing what they can about it.

AFAIAC...the Japanese are handling the disaster to the best they can, their buildings have stood the test better than ours...maybe because they and us are on known fault lines, BUT they have had major activity with earthquakes in the last decade or so.

A quake...tsunami and topped off with nuclear problems. FFS talk about being hit with 3 in a row...no one should have to cop that! They have months of aftershocks to cope with yet :(.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the reason i've heard the WW2 thing brought up is because they recently apologised for what happened.

Same sort of thing Kevin Rudd did when he apologised to the Stolen Generation here. Most of us had nothing to do with it but we are sorry it happened and are willing to accept it happened and not ignore it. Now its time for everyone to build a bridge and move past it to build a better future - build upon and do not repeat our past mistakes??

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Totally agree, but just take a look at from side of politics all the bad taste jokes originate.

Cheers

Ray

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
Thats a ton of negative stuff towards a country that may or may not have any living citizens who were responsible for your father not being here today estcove. No disrespect.

There's probably thousands or millions of Japanese who wished their fathers/grandfathers weren't involved in the war as well. Thankfully my old man came home from ww2 but it's 2011 and no continent should have to suffer what has hit them like Japan.

Maybe it's a wakeup call from mother nature.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,907 Posts
I never knew that Japan had nuclear power that was my main surprise as thats a bit foolish allowing that so soon after WW2.

Maybe wait 200 years or so to allow nuclear after a war is lost would be better.

They seem to have it scatered all over the country.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
what joke? i missed something?

the jap's make good cars. . . . not the best tho, the Germans do that. -im not fussed where people are from, and im not big on racist jokes, its a bit distasteful at the best of times because it perpetuates hatred, an the notion that we are racist.

cant say i like the whale killing thing, but im not a member of Greenpeace or anything. i feel sorry for the people over there and in nz.

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
It's not a joke Glort...some things shouldn't be joked about, 2500 confirmed dead with the likelyhood of 10,000 more to be announced??? - NAH...why should that be misconstrued, twisted and misrepresented as humour?

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Are you serious or am I not comprehending your special brand of Levity?
I think you made and overlooked the point in the first words you said.
It's a joke.
I got the joke sent to me in an email today and while I don't find it particularly funny, I'm not about to get all bitter and twisted about it either.
Plenty of other topics discussed here I can save that for! :D

It may not be to your liking or taste but that dose not mean that people actually feel that way or hold malice. You seem to be overlooking the fact this is a very typical response of a lot of people to try and make some sort of relief out of what is a very sad or unfortunate situation. I think you'd also find a lot of people find it a way of dealing with something they feel is a tradgety and are sympathetic to.

I can't think of any personal problems I have had that mates wouldn't make a joke over but they are the same people that would make fun of me needing life saving surgery at the same time they offered me one of their kidneys.

I was listening to the news tonight and heard they are making a 30KM exclusion zone around the reactors. Thats the greater area of the city of Sydney. HTF do you move and put up that many people in a densely populated country like Japan?
I feel sorry for them, I even feel worried for us because if the wind blows the wrong way, it is not at all unlikely we could catch some radiation if everything goes tits up.

Is making a joke going to either hurt, help or change the situation?
NO.
So just like If I fall off a ladder and bust my arse, my view is someone may as well get a laugh out of it because it's already happend, not a result of of some levity no matter how poor taste or inappropriate others may think it to be.

I think you need to lighten up and also realise your disagreement with peoples levity does not give you the right to abuse your power as a moderator here to assert your moral judgements on others which I'm pretty sure falls outside the job description of a fair website moderator.

If you start banning people because of their humor, what's next? Banning people because they disagree with your views on abortion or gun control or politics or any of the other typical emotive subjects?
How can you mix up something like joking about Ipswich finally getting a bath because of the floods and implying that the deaths and displacement of thousands of people was deserved because they eat whale meat? Just a bit rough don't you think?

Far cry from something like "here I am giving you a kidney - this better bloody mean you give me my cordless drill back" joke as a mate decided to donate an organ to keep you alive.

Noone jokes about the terrorist attacks in America or anywhere else around the world however I and many others quite happily joke about religion especially Islam and even with terrorism related jokes.

There's a line in there somewhere. I do not know exactly where it is but I've got a rough idea of it (and happy to admit sometimes we will all cross it at times even if by accident)

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Do you blokes remember Joe Harman?

Do any of you recall the savage and murderous invasion of China by the Japanese? And Korea?

There won't be many chows crying about Japan's problems, not many Koreans either (Japs call them '**** eaters.')

Sure, it's all history now...but not so long ago.

How long does it take before one can genuinely say 'sorry?' In my case...when I'm dead.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Do any of you recall the savage and murderous invasion of China by the Japanese? And Korea?

There won't be many chows crying about Japan's problems, not many Koreans either (Japs call them '**** eaters.')

How long does it take before one can genuinely say 'sorry?' In my case...when I'm dead.
Your point is clear. But you've also forgotten that white man is not completely devoid of atrocious and inhumane acts in the past as well.

Humans are a terrible yet wonderful species. All of us. Always have been and I'd suggest always will be.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts

But you are ok with a car made in japan built and designed by people from japan?

I think there is something in that for all of us.

Cheers

Justin

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
The Japs got my father at Singapore. Think what you like...and I'll think what I like.
How many Japs did your old man kill before they stopped him killing them?

1 - 20 of 186 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.