Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i planed a trip to the cape via may town for july this year , a friend of mine wanted to come along , cool i explained quite clearley what we are in for , no dramas, so off we go.

when we arrived at dog leg creek / maytown / the signs disapered , no way we could find the camping ground , so we drove around and found a sign so off we go , we got to a spot that had an extreme hill climb in low range , very rutted and loose surface , got to the top and down the other side and it went straight to the river.
no toilet or shower as national park nazzie,s told us should be there, we stayed only one night and then headed towards laura.

the laura track is a 4wheelers dream , the first twenty km low range 4wd , six hrs , then some high 4wd and a few more hrs to laura.

if you decide to take a pretend 4wd into this area take heaps of spare parts , and be prepared for a lot of undercarriage damage.

we then stayed in weipa for a few days and had a look around then off to bramwell road house toped up with fuel and onto palm creek.

this is where the **** started :(, i told my friend all about this crossing and that i will have to use my winch to get up the other side and i would unhook the trailer and pull him up.
at the crossing there were half a dozen vehicles in front and we went for a look and there was a pardo with a trailer stuck on the entry , he was hung up by his tow bar, easly fixed , no he only had standard tyres and not much ground clearance so he boged the left front wheel and had to be winched foward, wa who ,i thought can hardley wait for my turn , my friend spat the dummy and **** his pants jumped in his pajero and took off bact to the by pass road.
this realy pissed me off:ranting: , i made the decission that we came together and we would stay together and he had no idea were he was going and we planed to stay the night on the track so we turned around and went to find them.
next stop at virlya point for a few days , loved every minute, had a bloke come over for a chat and he said to me did i see the area of the track that was totaly destroyed on our way in , that was his friends who came up in march and they got boged and spent all day winching to travel a hundred mt, these fools :ranting:should be banned from 4wding as they destroy the area for the sake of some sort of title for being the first on up the cape.
what ********s, palm creek last november was an easy drive across now the track has been totaly destroyed .
on our way back we were doing about 10 / 15 kmh coming to a left hand dend when i saw a land cruiser ute coming at me at about 80/ 100 kmh , they locked up the wheels tried to head for the scrub but started to turn side ways and just missed the front right corner of my truck by an inch and stoped twenty mt behind me in the scrub ,:ranting:i jamed it in reverse and went back to give them a piece of griefe only to see that they were in a rangers vehicle. two brothers, i gave them a mouth full and i called in at the ranger station and reported them, they have had many complaints about these two yobo's but can't stop them , i will send an email to the minister of nazzie park's ,this will do the job.

spent a few days at punsand bay , talked to a few dick heads who drowned there trucks at nolan's brook , first question i asked , ( i knew the answer ) was did you walk across the creek first , NO, the first truck drove through ok , the second truck drowned so we just drove in like dick heads and drowned our truck as well.:oops:

there was stories of about thirty two vehicles drowned in july , lot of dick heads , i told my friend on the way home we will go to nolans and if the chicken track is still good we will get through easly but if not we will turn around and go on the by pass , cool , so on the jardine river boat he states he is not going to have a look and just go down the by pass , again this pissed me off , when i went to nolans it was ****, the chicken track was worse than the main bit , again destroyed by the ones who came up to early in the wet to be a hero, we turned and went on the by pass road.
next year i will go on my own ,

tip if you plan going up the cape wait till november when all the dick's have left.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sorryto hear about your trip. I've planned a return trip next August, so hopefully the d$%kheads have been and gone by then.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,059 Posts
Your post raises a number of issues. Doing a major offroad venture like the OTT with somebody that you haven't already done a lot of offroading with is always going to be a risk. We tend to do a lot of solo travelling because of past experiences and the unhappy compromises that have resulted. When I travel with others it is with low expectations so that I'm not left disappointed.

The track damage done by other users is something that gets up my nose too. I don't have to much issue with people butchering tracks if the track exist for the sake of giving people a challenge but if the track is a thoroughfare for people to travel along to get to a destination then that is a different matter. Last time I was on the OTT was June/July 2012. I would prefer to travel a little earlier in the season when the crossings are more interesting and less crowded but we were restricted to university midyear holidays by our two children who are uni students. Our trip up the OTT was enjoyable and relatively uneventful except for getting a close view of a newish car getting waterlogged at Nolan's Brook. The track was more crowded than I would have liked but we never had to queue at a crossing for more than about 15 minutes with the exception of Canal Creek where we had to wait for one idiot that decided to stop in the middle of the creek and wash his car.

The trip back down was quite a different story because by then the Qld school holidays had started and numbers on the track had exploded. Most of the time most of the people were quite decent and considerate of others but the sheer weight of numbers made some of the crossings a bottle neck that held everyone up for ages. The worst was Palm Creek and one guy in particular really got my dander up. He was towing a camper trailer and was determined to get through the creek on his own without help. He refused offers of a tow and kept making attemp after attemp to get up the northern bank, each time using more speed and wheelspin than the time before. Not only was he starting to damage his trailer and vehicle but he was turning an already damaged track into pea soup. After 7 or 8 tries he finally made it and was as pleased as punch with himself but obviously didn't give rat's arse about the state of the track or the dozens of others that he had held up due to his own pride and selfishness.

I sympathise with your disappointment at not doing the OTT after travelling all that way. I guess this gives you a good excuse to go back soon and this time you will have a deal of knowledge and experience under your belt gained from the previous trip. I hope you still got enough enjoyment out of the trip to leave some good memories but no doubt you will enjoy the next trip better than you enjoyed this one.

Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when i travel the old track or any other i always try to do it without spinning the wheels and digging hugh holes , i would perfere to fill in a deep hole with rocks or logs or sand and then go through, this is the correct way they teach people in an advanced driver training course, it's called road building; another scarry thing was the amount of caravans up the cape and at the tip there was a bus load of old farts who had their walking sticks and i was wating for one to keel over and die from a heart attack , good luck to them for seeing the cape, we all want to do that but with their poor health ,loss of mobility it may be a one way trip.

·
Registered
nissan
631 Posts
mate we did it in july and by ourselves! It was great! Also reading your thread we to came across two ranger vehicles coming into vyrilia point and the were flying!!! one came around the corner sideways and if we were closer... who knows. We also camped at nolans for two nights and only saw two cars get stuck and it was there own fault! We had cars coming with us but they backed out so we did it by ourselves and it was great. No one to wait for etc, we just did our own thing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts