Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan safari
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering about jump starting my safari. its a auto so i cant push start it :( .. do neeed another 24v truck to jump start or is there other tricks to start the old girl up cheers guys :)

·
Registered
nissan safari
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
found out the passengers side battery was stuffed so it flyin like a gq should now :)

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
found out the passengers side battery was stuffed so it flyin like a gq should now :)
You may find that it will stuff the passenger battery again if you don't replace them both at the same time. If the drivers' side battery stays lower than the new one, then the charging system will think the batteries are low and end up overcharging the new one. Remember, pour 24V system is in series, so the charging system does not see one battery at a time.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,785 Posts
In a 24 volt Safari the batteries are a pair. Best is to get 2 new batteries with sequential serial numbers, next best is to get the same batteries made the same month. Using different batts will leave you high and dry if you are not constanly monitoring the charge levels and ajusting the batteries. Other way is to use a charge equalizer but some other issues with this as well and $$$.

So yes, replace the other one with the same. If you ever need to boost from another vehicle beware you can blow the other vehicles fuses or fry stuff. Connect cables directly to the battery pos and neg, not to vehicle ground. If you meter the right hand bat you will see 12+ volts at the posts, 24+ volts to ground. The left hand bat is the first in series so you will see 12+ volts either to post or to ground.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
They aren't so tricky. The 24V system from two 12V series batteries just gives you a lot more options for batteries and for getting a jump start. You can buy and install a 24V battery. However, you will find yourself more limited in price and local selection.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,785 Posts
Haha, ya I have a 24 volt aircraft battery in the garage that's worth $400 plus.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts