Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
good buy, they run the danfoss comp. i think.

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,572 Posts
I have had the 60 ltr model for 2 1/2 years never let me down. but find the temp gauge bit inaccurate. bought the cover for it too but the zips are flimsy. apart from that a top fridge for what they cost.

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Idiot1 that gives me a bit of heart. Apparently BCF have stock and they are moving too slow for the stores, so out they go. Rang Evakool a couple times today and inquired about support, not an issue going forward, they still rebrand and sell them. They, EvaKool, have Factory seconds of the 72 litre for a bit less....

Jeffs5 the compressor is the chinese copy of the danfoss that every one of these chinese bargain basement fridges run, My last one, a different brand two compartment, lasted 5 years, but I noticed today the temp was on 15 degrees, and found it had a pinhole in the Evaporator core inside the fridge, they are pretty thin walled and it had had a good bump from something. Might still be repairable by someone who knows how and a regas and off she goes again.

Got a stick of that ally solder stuff lying around the shed somewhere, might have a go myself, can't be harder than soldering up a coke can can it????

Reactions: jeffs5

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,059 Posts
I have had the 60 ltr model for 2 1/2 years never let me down. but find the temp gauge bit inaccurate. bought the cover for it too but the zips are flimsy. apart from that a top fridge for what they cost.
I also bought the 60 litre model. It was an unbeatable price with a bullet proof warranty. It failed after about 10 days use. I got in touch with Evakool and they told me to return it to the place of purchase which was Ray's Outdoors. They were only too helpfully and offered a full replacement. This actually disturbed me a bit that there was no attempt to repair the item making it clear they weren't worth fixing. I asked if I could get the cost credited toward a dearer fridge and they were fine with that so I now have a Waeco which has been faultless.

The compressor that the RV units use is not a Danfoss item. It is a Chinese copy of an Italian unit.

Cheers,

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,572 Posts
just for an example. have run my 60ltr of a 105 ah agm battery. set fridge at 3 deg and after 4 days battery still showed 10.4 volts . and that was without a charge for 4 day either.

·
Registered
nissan
350 Posts
A quick tip as they are a big fridge 900L 485W 570H, my back widow fridge slide is eye to eyelet is 800mm, 485 wide. wont fit with a cargo barrier.

michael

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,572 Posts
has merit and cig combination plug changed mine to Anderson plug. I have a cargo barrier and fridge slide under my 60ltr. its in a gq though.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,059 Posts
A quick tip as they are a big fridge 900L 485W 570H, my back widow fridge slide is eye to eyelet is 800mm, 485 wide. wont fit with a cargo barrier.

michael
They have large handles that can easily be removed to reduce their length by about 100mm. If the fridge is permanently fitted to a fridge slide the handles are not needed.

Cheers,

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Overboard, sounds like you got the unlucky pick. I think the compressor is the same as the fridge I have now the chinese equivalent/copy of the Danfoss BD35. It had run faultlessly. The width is exactly the same as the one I have now, 60mm taller and 100mm longer but it will fit my slide perfectly. I will put a couple of 3" computer cooling fans on standoff mounts on the inside of the lid to circulate the cold air and it will be even more efficient and economical to run. 99% of the time will be a bulk freezer for when we are caravanning. Be changing the plug lead for my Anderson plug lead already in use.

from another site Power usage*: Between 1.5 and 2 Amps per hour on average measured over a 24 hour period, motor cycling on/off. Power usage while running 3.75 Amps (RV25 & 35) & 4.58 Amps (RV62 & 82

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,059 Posts
Overboard, sounds like you got the unlucky pick.
I think you are probably right but I was quite disappointed there was no attempt made to even see what the fault was let alone to try and repair it. They just plugged it in and confirmed it didn't get cold before offering a replacement. I asked if there was any effort made to repair them and they said no they just replace them. This left me nervous about repair work once the item was out of warranty.

I think the compressor is the same as the fridge I have now the chinese equivalent/copy of the Danfoss BD35.
I read it was a chinese copy of the italian designed Domus compressor. Genuine Domus aren't a bad unit but still not as good as a Danfoss.

It had run faultlessly.
I'm sure they don't all break down in the first couple of weeks like mine did but I bought the item with the frame of mind that if it gave me problems I would replace it with a quality item and that is exactly what happened.

Cheers,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts