Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests, my mate just offered me a 1968 patrol for $500. Needs a clutch master cylinder, and the rear brakes are seized so we need to unseize them, otherwise it's pretty good. 6cyl petrol, 3spd manual, lift, 31" tyres. Is this a good buy? What are the 68 patrols like on fuel, what are they like reliability wise etc?

·
Registered
Nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Edit: it's a 1964. I test drove it, it's a bit of a pig but goes ok. Might buy it for the tyres and then onsell. Or keep it as a project.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
If I could pick up a 64 Patrol for $500 with good bodywork and just some mechanical issues, I'd jump at it. What a classic car project.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
Nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Body is stuffed, it's got wood sides above the metal and a fiberglass roof, all of this is aged and cracking. All metal surfaces are rusty. But it's a solid truck with a fairly good condition engine, gearbox, tranny case and diffs. I'm thinking about it.

·
Banned
nissan patrol
178 Posts
:worthles:
now's your chance to ask shirt loads of questions or on sell it:cool:

·
Registered
Nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll get photos tomorrow. If any SA people would be interested I can arrange a viewing. It'll make a good farm thrasher. It needs a new clutch slave cylinder, rear brakes seize so that needs a fix and also needs seatbelts installed. Otherwise it's not too bad. I'd own it and daily drive it but I think the fuel bill would be more than I could afford! 35+yr old truck with a 4.0 petrol motor=lots of dollars in petrol!!

·
Registered
nissan
1,571 Posts
Ta, looking forward to the pics, have a look under teh dash looking up, next to teh doors, windscreens rust out from the bottom inside corners of the glass etc, also left and right side of teh drivers footwell, also under the bonnet and looks at the drainage rail under the windscreen, underside of this will rust out, anything else will be obvious like rear corner panels above the tail lights etc.

·
Registered
nissan
528 Posts
g60 patrols are so old - I have one in my back paddock that I cant even give away.
G60 went to the mid 70's and the design did not change. Heavy chassis, rust prone body, drum brakes that were undersized from day one. no power brakes or power steering, noisy, so dont bother with a radio, and they all leaked like sieves? You can buy replacement bodies, adapt some gu running gear and a v8 holden moto if you are doing a project, but they are very heavy all the same and expensive to fix. I would suggest a landcruiser shorty if you have a choice, and if all you are buying is a pair of diffs and a chassis, you can have mine for $500 and mine has a $2000 fibreglass upper body installed?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Heavy chassis, rust prone body, drum brakes that were undersized from day one. no power brakes or power steering, noisy, so dont bother with a radio, and they all leaked like sieves?
Yep and thats what i love about em!! :grin: Id prefer my heavy, rusty, bouncy, noisey G60's over a FJ40 any day of the week!

·
Registered
nissan
528 Posts
rusty G60

Yep and thats what i love about em!! :grin: Id prefer my heavy, rusty, bouncy, noisey G60's over a FJ40 any day of the week!
do you want to buy mine?
As mentioned, $500 and you get a fibreglass upper body and teh rest for free?
brisbane, Qld.

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
do you want to buy mine?
As mentioned, $500 and you get a fibreglass upper body and teh rest for free?
brisbane, Qld.
got any pics mate? mwb or ute?

cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts