Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
builder not a buyer!
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gday guys, just installed my provent (not plumbed in yet) today and have a few questions. as i have an 05 with abs i was very limited for room but have made it fit just in front of the abs box thingy but have noticed that it is in the vacinity of the turbo and dump pipe. how do the provents handle the heat? i have used thick walled ortac hose and reduced down to heater hose so the hoses shouldnt have a problem handling the heat.

i also have been looking at where to run my drainage tap/valve. i cant for the life of me see where an easily accesible spot would be to run this. any ideas/photos of what you guys have done? i have done abit of research and understand both sides of the argument why people do and dont plumb theirs back into blanking plate the underside of the cat but im going to sit on the fence with this one to see the quality of the oil that my provent will catch.

thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
999 Posts
gday mate mines in a simair spot and heat has not afected it any way and heres some pics of my drain hope it helps

Attachments

·
builder not a buyer!
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great pics mate thanks, sure is alot more room without abs.

cheers mate

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Hey Chuckles, Glad things are moving on for ya.

Here how I did mine with ABS, no probs with heat

·
builder not a buyer!
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet thanks shane, yeah mate nearly had to make a mayday late night pm to you when i was installing my dawes and needle. but got it all sorted.

cheers mate, where do you run your drain tap?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Chuckles'

Down into the wheel Arch- But put tap externally of bay, easier to drain then, I need to move mine

·
builder not a buyer!
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great thanks mate. The tap that you used, is that the provent tap or just an ordinary check valve?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Just a tap from the garden section of bunnings.

·
Registered
279 Posts
gday mate mines in a simair spot and heat has not afected it any way and heres some pics of my drain hope it helps
That's mine...

The drain is located so I can put the bottle on the radius arm and let it drain without making a mess. I collect less than 200ml in ~6-7000 km...

lg 91,

Where so you get the reducer to change the hose diameter to suit provent? Cheers.

Chuckles,

The oil drained out are darker than the oil in the engine, I would not want it to be plumbed back to the engine. Also if you have to drain it and dump it, you can monitor how much blowby you engine has as a rough indication of engine health.

·
builder not a buyer!
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks mate.

I used a 25mm hose barb, cut off the threaded end and tapped the inside to take a12mm hose barb. Beware that these fittings are bsp thread not metric

Cheers

·
Registered
999 Posts
hay mate i got them from bias boating. that tap of yours looks preaty sweet. mines been in now for well over a 1000kms and still nothing in the drain tube i guess mine dosent have much blow by

·
Registered
279 Posts
hay mate i got them from bias boating. that tap of yours looks preaty sweet. mines been in now for well over a 1000kms and still nothing in the drain tube i guess mine dosent have much blow by

You will have less blowby if you use dawes to control the boost, mine still factory controlled and occasionally went to 22psi... Also it will take a while for the oil to soak up the filter element before dripping into the drain.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
lg91

Give it time mate, filter catches a fair bit 1sst up and then youll see it coming out.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
i don't know about anyone else but i have'nt, i think there supposed last up to 100k, but some are changing theirs at 50k,

Pretty sure there set and forget sort of thing, i check for gunk every now and then but just normal residue, took around 1500klm for bypass to drain.

·
builder not a buyer!
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
finally got around to completing the plumbing for the provent. thanks to shane3.0, chaz, felix and a few others for on going advice. enjoy

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I got question about my provent, I got it installed about 1000k ago. Catches alot, but this arvo I went for a drive. Went home, gave it a check around the motor and opened the provent lid and lots of stream puff out, is this normal?

Cheers

·
Registered
999 Posts
I got question about my provent, I got it installed about 1000k ago. Catches alot, but this arvo I went for a drive. Went home, gave it a check around the motor and opened the provent lid and lots of stream puff out, is this normal?

Cheers

yes its just the oil mist

1 - 20 of 23 Posts