Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If all the boats, ships etc were taken out of the oceans, would the sea level fall or rise. I would think that it would fall and expose more land. :confused:

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti cab chassis
14,500 Posts
If all the boats, ships etc were taken out of the oceans, would the sea level fall or rise. I would think that it would fall and expose more land. :confused:
Same as when you get out of the bath, and your rocks get exposed.:crazy:

Fark you must be bored,:D

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just move grandson from Maryborough to Hervey Bay and having a beer. Thoughts crop up. So, when the oceans rise due to global warming, we take some boats out of the water.:D

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,033 Posts
You know this can be calculated, all you need to do is add the total displacement weight of all the ships and boats in the world (start with mine at 1/2 tonne or just under 1/2 a cubic meter of water taking the SG of saltwater into the equation) and go from there then you need to calculate the area of the seas and oceans then divide the displacement volume up to spread over that area, for the sake of ease we will assume all land is surrounded by cliffs so land angles don't come into account, could get a bit complicated if we didn't do that :rolleyes:.

Sea levels would drop accordingly.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about a Displacement Tax. Governments would make squillions.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,033 Posts
Get all the swimmers out of the water, especially the FAT ones.
Bloody hell doing this at Bondi in peak terrorist season would solve all our rising seas problems.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,734 Posts
The sea level would drop, but only very minutely.
Would you also remove all the shipwrecks on the bottom of the seas? Would have to calculate them in as well. (which would be virtually impossible, even if it was known how many shipwrecks there are).
When you consider the average depth of the ocean is ~3.8km and it consumes around around 70% of the surface of the Earth (from memory) it's hard to see the water level dropping by more than a few hundredths of a millimeter.

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,106 Posts
Well then I guess every time you catch a fish and don't throw it back the level drops too.

More fishing I say!

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti cab chassis
14,500 Posts
And we had better get the Jap's to study more whales.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,033 Posts
Well then I guess every time you catch a fish and don't throw it back the level drops too.

More fishing I say!
OK I promise to catch bigger fish, that's the least I can do for the environment.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But the fish swim in the water, so, do they displace any?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,033 Posts

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
But, the submarine is full of air. If a torpedo were released, would that increase or reduce the displacement?

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,000 Posts
1 - 20 of 81 Posts