Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissangupatrol
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
talking to my cousin who is a mechanic and after finding no thermostat in my ute after it had been to the mechanics.....i started to fix the things the mechanic should have...

my cousin said the only time you wont run a thermostat is when someone has put k seal in the coolant to fix and crack and a leaky head gasket? other wise it will fuse the thermostat together rendering it useless.

so my question being i ran the car for a few mintues to move it back into the garage before i take out the radiator to flush it. would this small running time affect my thermostat with this k seal ****e??

now im parranoid sorry...am i better off just flushing rad and getting another thermostat just to be sure its only $15

·
Registered
430 Posts
Never heard of this k seal but most of the bodgy sealant in a can things will not block a thermostat. You never know though.

Mostlikey cause of removal of the thermostat would be overheating, your radiator might be blocked or your clutch fan might not be working properly.

Chuck a thermostat in & see what happens, if it overheats then there are other underlying issues.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
If you ran it so the engine warmed up to operating temp I still doubt it would have done much, if you whent for a drive of any distance for half hour or so then yeh I'd be worried then I guess.

K-Seal Permanent Coolant Leak Repair

Sounds like an anaerobic sealant, so yeh probably take the thermostat out. But Im guessing once its found the seal issue and done its job, does it still need the rest of the k-seal stuff in the system, can you flush the old liquid and put in fresh coolant? Im guessing its just a quick fix though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts